At one point or another, you might have faced constipation or you must have heard your family member or friend say that they are suffering from constipation. It is not very rare to hear someone complain that they haven’t had a satisfactory bowel movement for some time. And that’s when everybody’s gyaan comes pouring in to help relieve their stress. But it is necessary to know which desi nuskhe actually work and which might end up causing more trouble. People try over the counter medicines, prescribed laxatives and even home remedies for constipation for years before finding relief. Read on to know actually effective tricks that help combat constipation.
Constipation: The Silent Enemy
Constipation is a health condition characterized by the inability of the intestines to evacuate stool in an adequate manner. Less to no desire to pass stool, hard stool, irregular bowel movements are commonly experienced by patients with constipation. People who suffer from constipation recurrently are often irritated due to the resultant discomfort that comes with the condition. The only thing that will give them any comfort is immediate constipation relief. It is important to treat the condition promptly to avoid any health complications in the future.
Who Is Likely To Suffer From Constipation?
Children and adults, men and women alike can fall victim to the disturbances caused due to constipation. While the condition is easier to manage in adult patients, children may face more trouble due to their inability to communicate their symptoms clearly. However, there are several effective home remedies for constipation in kids which will reduce their troubles.
Constipation is a lifestyle disorder occurring due to a number of trigger factors. These factors could be associated with diet, daily habits, socio-economic status and the existence of other comorbidities.
The condition must be treated before it gets out of hand and causes further health complications. There are several natural remedies for constipation that can be used to complement the mainstream treatment. The choice of treatment and its outcome depends largely on the cause of constipation.
5 Common Reasons Why Constipation Occurs
Nothing can be more distressing than having a bloated gut due to inadequate bowel movements. While some people may experience an acute episode of constipation due to extreme changes in diet or schedule, some people are prone to having a constipated bowel.
What are the causes of constipation? Why do some people have a chronic tendency to become constipated? The causes and trigger factors of constipation that are mentioned below, answer these questions:
1. Erroneous Diet
Not eating the right food often hampers digestion and also reduces intestinal movement. Consuming fatty food or carbohydrate-laden meals on a regular basis contribute to a sluggish digestive system. Constipation can also result from not consuming the right amount of fibre or not drinking adequate water.
2. Lack Of Exercise
Like the rest of the muscles of our body, the intestinal muscles also require exercise to maintain their functioning. Regular exercise not only tones the intestinal muscles but also stimulates the digestive system to work better. Lack of adequate physical exercise can cause sluggishness of digestive muscles, obstruct the release of digestive enzymes and can lead to constipation.
3. Disturbed Sleep
When we are tired and think we need sleep, each system of our body needs to rest. The digestive system too will function well only if it is well-rested and rejuvenated. Lack of sleep due to any reason causes the digestive system to be overburdened and may trigger constipation.
4. Mental Stress
Stress at your workplace, domestic stress, stress-related to academics; everyone experiences stress in some form. If not managed well, stress can have adverse effects on your physical health. Chronic constipation is one of the harmful effects of uncontrolled or neglected mental stress.
5. Genetic Disposition
Sometimes, despite following a healthy lifestyle people are prone to developing constipation recurrently. This could be attributed to faulty genes which have an inhibitory effect on the action of digestive organs, intestinal muscles or enzymes which take part in digestion. However, with regular medication and home remedies for constipation, a positive change can be seen in the digestive functions.
Now that the causes of constipation have been highlighted, it is important to take a look at the havoc that constipation can wreak with your health.
What Does It Feel Like To Be Constipated?
Constipation is a very discomforting condition and can cause the following symptoms:
- Negligible desire felt to pass stool
- Hard stool often accompanied by resultant bleeding
- Moderate to excessive strain is required to be applied in order to expel the stool
- Desire to pass stool may not be experienced daily
- Bloated abdomen
- Reduced appetite due to faulty digestion
- Sudden weight loss or weight gain may be experienced
Irrespective of the cause and nature of constipation, the condition cannot be ignored without harmful consequences. Prompt medical intervention along with necessary lifestyle modification will offer immediate constipation relief.
5 Most Trusted Home Remedies For Constipation
Using home remedies is the staple treatment option of almost every Indian household. Even before visiting the doctor, your mother or dadi will whip up some home remedies from simple ingredients available in the kitchen and voila! You already feel much better than before.
‘Dadima ka batua’ has some very effective home remedies that facilitate constipation treatment at home. Here is a list of some of these remedies along with directions for their usage.
1. Overripe Banana With Curd
Consuming an over-ripened banana may not be an exciting idea, but it is extremely beneficial for relieving constipation.
How To Use:
- Mash one whole overripe banana in a bowl.
- Mix 2-3 teaspoons of fresh, homemade curd to it.
- Consume this preparation once daily at any time of the day.
This is one of the most popular natural remedies for constipation. It can be used to treat constipation in kids, adults as well as the elderly. Consuming banana and curd daily will show good results in approximately one week.
2. Black Raisins
Seeded black raisins have a strong laxative action on the intestinal muscles. They have a purging effect that helps to empty the bowels satisfactorily.
How To Use:
- Soak 6-8 black seeded raisins in plain water for the entire day.
- At night just before bedtime, consume all the raisins by chewing them well.
- Small kids who cannot chew raisins may be given water in which the raisins have been soaked.
Consuming black raisins is an instant Indian home remedy for constipation. Not only do they stimulate the intestines to become more active, but they also prevent the formation of hard stool that is difficult to evict from the bowels.
3. Ghee With Milk
Ghee and milk are the staple dairy items found in practically every Indian kitchen. The combination of the two is very effective in clearing the gut and finding relief from constipation.
How To Use:
- Heat a cup full of milk till it becomes sufficiently warm.
- Add one teaspoon of ghee to it.
- Allow the ghee to melt and mix it well with the milk.
- Drink the entire mixture while it is still warm.
Ghee makes the intestines supple and increases their movement. It also softens the stool which makes it easier to defecate. This is one of the best home remedies for constipation in kids.
4. Ginger Tea
The good old adrak wali chai is the Indian version of ‘take a chill pill’. Not only does it uplift one’s mood instantly, but it also has many medicinal properties. Ginger tea is one of the most effective ways of constipation treatment at home.
How To Use:
- Prepare tea using grated or chopped ginger.
- Sugar and milk may be added as per individual taste.
- Drink the tea while it is warm or hot.
Consuming ginger tea once daily is helpful to curb the ill effects of constipation. Constipation may often result from poor digestive capacity. Ginger tea is a digestive tonic and thus plays an important role in obtaining relief from constipation.
Pudina or mint is one of the best herbs for constipation treatment. Pudina leaves have a laxative effect which helps in clearing a clogged tummy. It is one of the most sought after instant Indian home remedies for constipation.
How To Use:
- Pudina leaves can be chewed raw, added as a garnish to the food or consumed in the form of infusions and teas.
Pudina is one of the commonly used Ayurvedic home remedies for constipation. It is easily available in every household and often grown in home gardens.
The use of home remedies for constipation has been going on for ages. Even today doctors advise using home remedies in conjunction with mainstream medical treatment. However, only those home remedies must be used that are suitable to the individual and do not cause any additional health disturbances.
When To See A Doctor
It is very common to see people trying to manage their health by themselves with the help of home remedies, Yoga, dietary changes or some alternative therapy. While minor health disturbances may respond well to these home treatment methods, it is important to know when to see a doctor. It is time to see a doctor for constipation under the following circumstances:
- Constipation begins to recur with increasing frequency despite a healthy diet and lifestyle
- Home remedies and other health hacks fail to treat constipation
- Infants and babies who are exclusively breastfed suffer from constipation
- Constipation causes marked discomfort and other related health issues to the patient
- Constipation is resulting due to some other comorbidity like cancer, IBD or diabetes
- Symptoms like weight changes, loss of appetite, blood-stained stool are associated with constipation
- The patient is known to be HIV positive
Getting a medical opinion always helps to get to the root of any health condition. Constipation may be a seemingly superficial health disturbance, but in some cases, it may be associated with other more severe diseases. A doctor will provide guidance about further diagnostic tests and treatment methods required for constipation. Special care is advisable if the patient is an infant or a very elderly person.
Easy Tips To Tackle The Problem Of Constipation
The ill-effects of constipation can be easily curbed by following easy health hacks and by implementing simple changes in daily life. These hacks can be followed by people of all age groups and both genders. Follow these tips to maintain a healthy gut:
- Include high fibre foods like leafy vegetables, jowar bhakri, ragi preparations in your daily diet
- Perform yoga asanas that have specific actions on the digestive system
- Begin your day by drinking a glass of warm water to stimulate intestinal motility
- Perform some physical exercise for at least half an hour daily
- Use laxatives that are herb-based or made from natural ingredients only
- Do not use excessive strain in an attempt to pass stool as that could aggravate constipation
Constipation can be treated with timely diagnosis and prompt medical intervention. Following a simple diet and health tips will ensure that the digestive tract remains healthy and constipation is kept at bay. Follow a healthy lifestyle with a good diet regimen and an exercise routine for a happy and healthy gut.
- Constipation is a digestive disorder that can have ill effects on a person’s overall health
- There are several effective home remedies for constipation that can be easily found in every Indian household
- It is important to get to the root cause of constipation for a permanent cure
- Following a healthy lifestyle comprised of a balanced diet and adequate physical exercise help to curb the ill effects of constipation
- The efficacy of home remedies for constipation in kids, adults and elderly people is very good
- It is always a good idea to consult with a doctor for treatment of constipation before it causes any health complications