Everybody wants soft and luscious lips, and one of the best things you can do for your lips is to provide them with the nourishment they need. The skin on your lips is super sensitive, and it’s likely to fall victim to your lifestyle, the sun, and harsh weather conditions. It’s time you pay some attention to your pout if you’re suffering from dry, peeling, and chapped lips. This is your go-to guide for lip care, varying from DIY lip balms and scrubs to TC46 product recommendations. Your one-stop destination for all you need to know about lip care!
5 Easy-To-Make DIY Lip Balms
Making your lip balm is so easy and inexpensive. Plus, you know exactly what is going into it! That way, you can control exactly what you want out of your lip balm and nothing more. These lip balms and products will not only help moisturise your lips, but you’ll also get the added satisfaction of them being completely safe for you. Find 10 desi lip balms that are chemical and preservatives free here.
1. Ghee Lip Balm
The first thing our mom tells us to do when we complain of chapped lips is to apply ghee. Ghee has proven to be highly effective in healing and curing dry, chapped lips. Just apply a thin layer on your lips before you go to bed, and get soft, luscious lips! Ghee works wonders for your face as well, find 10 ghee face masks for every skin type here. A common kitchen ingredient that is a must-have for healthy skin and hair. Check out the benefits of ghee for hair in this article.
- 4 tablespoons of ghee
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Place a pan on low heat on the stove and add 4 tablespoons of ghee.
- When melted, add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of honey.
- When the mixture turns to a liquid, pour it into a small flat container and let it freeze for 3 – 4 hours.
- When hardened, you can use it as a lip balm and store it in the freezer when not being used.
- Your lips will thank you for the soft plumpness the ghee lip balm will leave them with.
2. Pomegranate Lip Balm
Pomegranate is rich in antioxidants and coconut oil makes the lips supple as it is rich in healthy fats. A pomegranate lip balm can nourish, moisturise lips and help to give a natural-looking pink colour.
- ¼ cup of pomegranate seeds
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Put the pomegranate seeds in a small bowl and press out the juice using a spoon or a pestle.
- Add melted coconut oil to the juice, transfer to a small container and freeze.
3. Raspberry & Lemon Lip Balm
This raspberry lemon lip balm is the perfect way to bring a little bit of spring into your home. It’s a great all-natural product to add to your beauty bag that contains no artificial colouring or flavours.
- 2 teaspoons of raspberry gelatin mix
- 2 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil
- 3-4 drops of lemon essential oil
- A spoon and a microwave-safe bowl
- Start by heating your solid coconut oil in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
- Add the raspberry gelatin mix and blend the two ingredients.
- Place this in the microwave once again, and once the gelatin melts, the oil should have a deep raspberry colour to it.
- Add the lemon essential oil and mix it properly.
- Carefully pour the mixture into your lip balm container and place it in the refrigerator until it hardens.
4. Vitamin E Lip Balm
Vitamin E has regenerative properties, thus it can heal chapped lips and make them supple. Green tea is a rich antioxidant and reduces the redness and burning of chapped lips. Cocoa butter and coconut oil act as lubricants.
- 3 vitamin E capsules
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of grated cocoa butter
- 1 tablespoon of green tea leaves (crushed)
- 3 drops of essential oil (rose or lavender or vanilla)
- Melt the coconut oil in a small bowl, add green tea leaves, and stir well on low heat.
- Allow to steep and then strain the oil into a bowl through a cheesecloth.
- Now melt the cocoa butter in a pan and add it to the strained coconut oil.
- Add vitamin E oil (by puncturing the capsules) and the essential oil and stir well.
- Keep the mix in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
5. Cinnamon Lip Balm
Cinnamon (dalchini) is an antioxidant and acts as natural lip plumper as it causes a tingling effect on the lips after application. Cocoa butter hydrates and nourishes the skin and also tones down the tingling effect of cinnamon.
- 2-3 drops of cinnamon (dalchini) oil
- 1 tablespoon of cocoa butter
- Mix cinnamon oil and cocoa butter well and refrigerate.
- Use it as a regular lip balm.
5 Easy-To-Make DIY Lip Scrubs
Any homemade lip scrub is extremely easy to make and depending upon your personal preference, you can even choose your own ingredients. Confused about how effective lip scrubs are? Try this natural lavender lip scrub that smoothens dry, chapped lips, available at the Red Dot Shop here.
1. Rose Petals & Milk Lip Scrub
If you suffer from discolouration of lips then rose petals and milk are your best options. Rose petals help in naturally lightening the colour of your lips and cold milk helps in brightening. Also, learn 8 DIY’s to lighten dark lips naturally here.
- Rose petals
- Take petals from roses and mask them into a paste by adding milk. What you’ll achieve will somewhat look like a paste-like consistency.
- Like a regular scrub, rub this paste on your lips gently. Make sure to not be vigorous on your lips.
- Keep it on for 5 minutes and then wash off with lukewarm water.
- Apply your favourite moisturising lip balm at the end.
2. Sugar & Honey Lip Scrub
This homemade sugar lip scrub is by far the best to obtain soft lips. You can add 2 drops of lavender essential oil to take care of any sunburns as well. Find 15 lip care products that are under 500 here.
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sugar (you can also use brown sugar)
- 2-3 drops of lavender essential oil
- Mix the sugar with raw honey well.
- Next, add those few drops of lavender oil to the mix.
- Once it’s completely blended in, apply the lip scrubs to your lips and rub them well in circular motions for two to three minutes.
- Apply some lip balm after washing off with lukewarm water.
3. Coffee & Honey Lip Scrub
Coffee is not just suited in that cup which wakes you up every morning but also a secret weapon for your lips to exfoliate them thoroughly. Honey, on the other hand, helps in locking nourishment and moisture in your lips. In one word, this homemade lip scrub with honey is the best if you suffer from extremely dry and flaky lips.
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon coffee grounds
- Mix the honey and coffee and stir them well.
- For about one minute, use the scrub on your lips and massage it well.
- You can also keep it on as a mask for about 2 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water and apply your favourite balm.
4. Lemon & Sugar Lip Scrub
You are all aware that lemon acts as a natural bleaching agent and helps lighten skin tone. Remember to make sure that you use this homemade sugar lip scrub in the correct ratio with lemon juice to get effective results.
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vaseline
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- Take the sugar and mix it with petroleum jelly or Vaseline to form a paste-like mix.
- Add the lemon juice to the mixture and combine well.
- Dab the mixture on your lips and massage it for one minute. You can also keep it on as a mask for 2-3 minutes.
- Either wash it off with lukewarm water or use a wet wipe to remove it.
5. Orange Peel Lip Scrub
In case you’re suffering from dark, flaky and discoloured lips all at the same time and you’re unable to find a proper solution, use this orange peel lip scrub made with sugar and see the difference yourself.
- 2 tablespoons dried orange peel powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 10-12 drops of almond oil or coconut oil
- To make the orange peel powder at home, first, let your orange peels dry out naturally in the sun for a few days. Then grind it into a fine powder using your mixer grinder.
- Add the almond oil and brown sugar to the orange peel powder and mix well.
- Use this lip scrub to gently scrub your lips for about a minute and wash them off with water.
- Use your favourite lip balm later.
10 Simple & Effective Lip Care Tips
When it comes to lip care, you should firmly believe in the saying that prevention is better than cure! It is always possible to restore the health of your lips. But it takes time for the results to be visible and in the meanwhile, you will have to put up with the pain that lip problems cause.
- Do not touch or lick your lips
- Follow a healthy diet plan
- Stay hydrated
- Remove makeup before sleeping
- Keep your lips hydrated overnight
- Massage your lips
- Scrub your lips
- Always carry a lip balm
- Use lipstick when stepping out
- A regular lip care routine can help keep your lips soft and smooth
TC46 Recommended Products
1. Plumping Lip Serum (Set Of 2) – Cinnamon & Mint By DoYOU
Consider this magic wand of plumping lip serum your swish ticket to heaven. We’re talking about a revolutionary formula that instantly gets you fuller lips for that last-minute Friday night date while undoing the damage that your pout goes through all day, every day! The woody cinnamon aroma makes it an irresistible steal deal. Head on over to the Red Dot Shop here and buy the magical plumping lip serum!
Price: Rs 600
2. Natural Lavender Lip Scrub By Vishisht
Say goodbye to dry, chapped and dark lips with this Natural Lavender Lip Scrub. Get rid of dead skin cells and flaky skin on your lips with this must-have. One jar will easily last you a minimum of 2 months! Buy this Natural Lavender Lip Scrub on the Red Dot Shop here and get soft, plump lips.
Price: Rs 249
3. Plumping Lip Serum – Cinnamon & Softening Lip Serum – Coffee (Set Of 2) By DoYOU
Lipcare is a priority. Period. Exactly why your vanity kit isn’t complete without these two swish sticks. While the DoYou Plumping Lip Serum takes you closer to naturally fuller lips, the DoYou Softening Lip Serum ends the persistent dry spell like nobody’s business. Get all that your pout’s ever wished for at the Red Dot Shop here!
Price: Rs 500
4. Agave Lip Balm By Tinge
Tinge has the perfect lip care product for you. Hydrate your lips with vegan Agave Lip Balm here. It is non-comedogenic and dermatologically tested. Take TC46’s crash course in makeup essentials to learn how to use your many makeup products for maximum effect here!
Price: Rs 590
5. Natural Citronella Body Balm By Vishisht
Looking for an all-in-one product that serves many purposes? Try this all-natural, handmade all-purpose balm. It is so versatile that it can be used for literally anything! It is extremely effective to treat chapped lips and restore their natural moisture. Buy natural citronella body balm from the Red Dot Shop here.
Price: Rs 299
Your lips are made of skin just like the rest of your face, so it’s important not to forget them when going through your skincare routine. Every other part of our body seems to have a routine to keep it healthy and attractive. Your lips should have one too! Now that you know all the basics of a lip care routine, you can determine what you need to get smooth, soft, and plump lips!