Are the endless lists of products and countless websites filled with DIYs and home remedies confusing you on what to check and what to chuck? Then this is the place for you. Take a step back from brand-sponsored influencer videos and in your face #ads and #SponCon (sponsored content). Get some authentic, real-life beauty advice with honest reviews. Curated from the #TC46squad of women hustlers, here are some gems from those who not only work with beauty products but use them on the daily.
Here’s What’s In Their Bag!
1. Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner
I believe that good eye makeup should be an investment. For me, it is important as I have sensitive eyes. What I loved about it is that it just stays put. Kajal tends to smudge, spread and even liquid eyeliners can fade away. This gel eyeliner can be used according to your personal needs. From a thin, basic eyeliner look to doing up your eyes, this has proven to be a versatile product for sure. I purchased it from the Bobbi Brown store and it is definitely worth the price.
Price: Rs 1,600
2. Huda Beauty Liquid Matte Lipstick – Icon
The second product I brought post the lockdown phase, was the Huda Beauty lip gloss. Since I am not a huge lip gloss fan, this one is the perfect in-between for when you don’t want to put on a lipstick but want to add some oomph.
Price: Rs 1,825
Akshita’s Desi Nuskhe
1. Dahi, Onion & Aloe Vera Hair Pack
Be it haircare or skincare, I am a big believer of DIYs. Your kitchen holds a plethora of ingredients that are inexpensive, accessible and easy to make. Instead of buying a ton of costly products, which usually are full of chemicals, it’s better to indulge in at-home DIY care for your body. My grandmother was a beauty DIY advocate and I certainly take after her. One recipe I highly recommend would be her hair pack.
You Will Need:
- 1 cup of yoghurt (dahi)
- Juice of ½ an onion
- 2 teaspoons fenugreek seeds (methi) or powder
- Mix all these ingredients together.
- Apply on your hair and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Shampoo as normal. You might need to rinse and repeat to get rid of the onion smell.
2. Masoor Dal Face Scrub
My favourite face pack is an exfoliator that is a great replacement for a face scrub.
You Will Need:
- 2 tablespoons masoor dal
- 2 tablespoons yoghurt (dahi)
- 1 tablespoon aloe vera gel
- Grind the masoor dal to a coarse powder.
- Add the dahi and aloe vera gel and mix well.
- Apply this to the face and neck. Let it sit undisturbed for a while.
- Gently massage it off using circular motions.
Aloe vera gel is a saviour for sensitive skin that’s prone to rashes. If you add an aloe vera plant to your garden, you are essentially growing a beauty staple at home. The versatility of this plant is unmatched, for sure.
1. NYX Professional Makeup Ultimate Shadow Palette Smokey & Highlight
As the name suggests, this 16-shade eyeshadow palette has a mix of shimmer and mattes which makes it very versatile. The eyeshadow has good colour payoff and is easy to build up if you want a deep and fierce pigment. I’ve used the eyeshadows for so much more than their main purpose—as a highlighter, as a brow filler, under the eye for baking, to smudge my kajal line with colour, and even to mattify my lipstick to make it last longer. Half the size of your palm, it’s a one-stop makeup favourite that takes prime spot on my dresser.
Price: Rs 1,725
2. Forest Essentials Mashobra Honey, Lemon & Rosewater Delicate Facial Cleanser
I think this cleanser was a big beauty moment for me. To be honest, earlier unless a cleanser created a lot of foam, I usually wouldn’t buy it and for years I was using face washes that would strip my skin dry, only left needing to be thoroughly moisturised again. The cycle never broke. Until I found Forest Essentials’ super gentle cleanser that is perfect in every way – free from sulphates, parabens and petrochemicals. It smells great, doesn’t leave my skin feeling tight, and is apt for daily use (you may need to double cleanse or use a stronger cleanser if you’re trying to take off waterproof makeup). I love that the core ingredients are clean and true to nature, and of course, the packaging is beautiful.
Price: Rs 1,250
Karishma’s Desi Nuskhe
1. Orange Lip Scrub
To be honest, it’s inspired by a commercial product by Juicy Chemistry. I make my own version of their blood orange and rosehip lip scrub because I have pigmentation on the corners of my lips, and simply also because winters often tend to leave my lips dehydrated.
You Will Need:
- ⅕ teaspoon sugar
- ⅕ teaspoon virgin coconut oil
- 2 drops of orange essential oil
Mix the coconut oil and sugar together first so that they combine into a somewhat granulated but smoothish texture. If it feels dry, add more oil. It should feel like wet sand. Add the orange essential oil in the end and mix well. You can store it in an old makeup wipes container or small jar.
1. Elle 18 Color Pops Matte Lipstick
I have been using this brand for a long time and I am also a fan of their nail paints. Personally, I prefer matte lipsticks over liquid or glossy ones. The shades offered by Elle 18 are great for Indian skin tones. My go-to shades are Fuschia Fancy and Rosy Blush. They have a rich texture and stay vibrant throughout the day. They easily suit all skin tones and are skin-friendly. What’s more, they’re super affordable and are easily available at local department stores and even at some chemist shops.
Price: Rs 75
Tanvi’s Desi Nuskhe
1. Moong Dal Hair Pack
My homemade hair care recipe is made from natural easily available non-allergic ingredients. The recipe is useful for good and thick hair growth and can even help in getting rid of split ends and frizzy hair. It makes the hair soft. Applying at least once every week can give good results.
You Will Need:
- 2 tablespoon moong dal (green)
- 2 tablespoon fenugreek seeds (methi)
- Coconut oil
- Multani mitti
- Soak the whole moong dal and methi seeds or powder overnight.
- Give it a spin in the blender and mix this paste with a little bit of coconut oil and Multani mitti.
- Apply this paste on your hair and let it sit for about 40 minutes before washing it off with lukewarm water.
- Use a mild shampoo and conditioner as usual.
1. Nykaa Matte To Last! Liquid Lipstick – Chai 18
Growing up, I was never a fan of makeup. My trusty dabba of Vaseline and the family powder box was enough for me. And only recently, during Christmas, I purchased my first lipstick. I bought a miniature Nykaa lipstick in the shade Chai 18. What made me buy it? A few things. Firstly, the name ‘Chai’ as I absolutely love chai. The shade was a safe shade to play with and it was a mini pack. Chai 18 is a liquid lipstick that has a full-medium pigment and lasts for a good amount of time. The only disappointment was I didn’t know mini lipsticks were actually that mini. But, on a positive note, it fits in my pocket and purse!
Price: Rs 239
Kareen’s Desi Nuskhe
1. Dahi & Haldi Face Pack
This DIY is stuck in my household and agreed upon by all family members. In a world of DIYs where my family has applied every possible kitchen ingredient on their skin whose outcome I imagine as a salad, this dahi pack has made its mark. This face pack helps reduce acne and scars and bring a glow. (It takes approx 2 months for any skincare product to work so keep that in mind even when using DIYs).
You Will Need:
- 2 tablespoon gram flour (besan)
- 2 tablespoon dahi
- A pinch of turmeric powder (haldi)
- Mix all the ingredients together to form a smooth paste.
- Apply it on your face and neck for 15 minutes.
- Then, wash off with water.
Sneha’s Desi Nuskhe
1. Raw Rice Body Mask
Ingredients that will help you get soft, smooth, and glowing skin instantly. All ingredients are available in your kitchen. With regular use, the body mask can help reduce hyperpigmentation. This DIY recipe should be applied before taking a shower.
You Will Need:
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of raw rice
- 1 tablespoon of oil (olive, coconut, almond)
- Shower gel (Optional)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- Wash the rice and let it dry.
- After the rice is completely dried, grind the sugar and rice in a blender.
- Add the oil to the mixture and some shower gel.
- Then, add the honey and turmeric powder.
- Mix it well and try scrubbing it on your body before taking shower.
1. Wet n Wild Mega Length Mascara – Very Black
As someone who loves makeup, I was on the hunt for a ride or die mascara forever. After trying everything from Maybelline to L’oreal and PAC and whatnot, I finally found the one that suits me well. It lifts up my lashes just the right way and applies the perfect amount of product without going overboard. If you have small, beady eyes as I do, then this mascara will make them look bigger and bolder. There is enough room to build on and the look achieved at the end is a step above your natural lashes. Though it is waterproof, it comes off easily with micellar water. The best part is the lash comb which delivers precision with smudge-resistant lashes.
Price: Rs 399
Srushti’s Desi Nuskhe
1. Orange Peels Scrub
My skin around the underarms, knees and elbows is stretched, hyperpigmented, spotty and just not the right skin tone due to PCOS. Orange peels are popularly used to brighten these areas as they are rich in skin brightening and exfoliating properties and I have been using this DIY recipe for a while. You can easily buy orange peel powder on Amazon. This all-natural recipe is a great anti-ageing DIY as well and leaves you smelling citrusy fresh!
You Will Need:
- 1 cup of sun-dried orange peels or orange peel powder
- 2 tablespoons rose water (gulab jal)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Grind the dried orange peels into a coarse powder.
- Mix the peel powder with some rose water and milk to form a thick paste.
- Gently scrub the desired area with the paste and leave it to dry for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash it off thoroughly and pat dry.
Indulging in some self-love and care with beauty products and DIYs is among our favourite things. It can be store-bought or home-made, curated with desi ingredients or a trendy product you’ve wanted to try for long. The key is to find what actually works and what’s a mere gimmick in the ever-growing beauty market. Try these products and DIYs and let us know which ones make you glow, shine and smile!