Many traditional breakfast recipes like oatmeal and smoothies are naturally vegan, and others, such as pancakes and muffins, can be made vegan with a few easy ingredient swaps. The concept of veganism started getting legit in India from 2017 and since then, there has been no looking back with more people embracing this new diet. Today being World Vegan Day (1st November), let’s know more about how you can make your breakfast vegan.
In collaboration with The Channel 46, Chef Megha Jhunjhunwala, Founder of Hearth & I, shares 5 vegan breakfast recipes that you can try at home.
1. Granola With Peanut Butter & Banana
One of the most luxurious breakfast options available to vegans is peanut butter banana granola. It has a lot of dietary fibre and provides energy for the entire day. Given that it is high in protein and also contains significant amounts of vitamin E, niacin (vitamin B3), manganese, vitamin B6, zinc, phosphorus, and magnesium, peanut butter is a very nutrient-dense food that can be added to practically any vegan dish. Granola also aids in controlling cholesterol levels and blood pressure while aiding in weight loss.
- Banana chips
- Baked granola
- Take oats, banana chips, peanuts, quinoa, sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl and combine the ingredients together.
- Heat the peanut butter for about 4 minutes and then toss in some bananas and vanilla.
- Add this to the oat mixture and set it aside.
- Bake some granola until it turns golden brown.
- Mix the oat mixture with the baked granola.
- Top with blueberries and eat right away.
2. Peanut Butter Coconut Toasts
Rich in vitamins and minerals, bananas are a mainstay of vegan breakfasts (Potassium, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C). The body uses it to make red blood cells, break down fats and carbs, metabolise amino acids, flush out waste products from the liver and kidneys, and keep the nervous system functioning properly.
- 1 tsp coconut flakes
- Slices of whole wheat bread
- 1 tbsp of peanut butter or almond butter
- ½ banana
- In a skillet, add the coconut flakes and cook.
- Turn constantly, until golden brown (optional).
- Meanwhile, oats the bread pieces in a pan / toaster / oven (optional).
- Spread the peanut or almond butter onto the slices while they are still warm (this way it will be easier, and they will taste better).
- Add the banana slices and sprinkle some toasted coconut flakes over top.
- Although they are best when fresh, you may also enjoy them on the fly.
3. Veggie Breakfast Bowl
On the other hand, if you want to try something new for your nutritious vegan breakfast and stray from the norm, give this variety bowl a shot. Kale, mushrooms, onions, tofu scramble, avocado, brown rice, salsa, and other nutritious ingredients make up this meal’s balanced diet.
- Brown rice
- Kale (optional)
- Button mushrooms
- Olive oil
- Prepare brown rice.
- Chop avocados into fine slices or as per your choice.
- Add some scrambled tofu as well for a plant-based protein source.
- Heat olive oil and cook some kale and button mushrooms in it.
- Sprinkle some spicy salsa as per your taste and enjoy a great, fully plant-based breakfast.
4. Vegan French Toast
Although making French toast without eggs may sound sacrilegious to some, it is both possible and delicious. It is one of many vegan breakfast options that are high in proteins, carbs, and, most importantly, good sources of salt, potassium, calcium, and iron.
- Almond milk
- Coconut / sunflower oil
- Salt to taste
- Mix almond milk with salt, cinnamon, and vanilla in a bowl.
- Warm up some coconut or sunflower oil in a pan.
- Meanwhile, coat each piece of bread generously with the above mixture.
- Next, shallow fry both the sides of the bread pieces till they are crisp and golden brown.
- Serve hot.
Read: 30 Scrumptious Indian Vegan Recipes You Can Try
5. Mushroom & Bell Pepper Scrambled Tofu
One of the greatest vegan breakfast options to the scrambled eggs that we have grown to love so much is this one, which is strong in protein.
- Olive oil or your preferred oil
- Heat oil and then scrabble tofu in it.
- Add mushroom to introduce its wonderful umami flavours.
- Add vegetables like broccoli, zucchini, celery, and spinach and your vegan breakfast is ready.
Open up like never before and participate in conversations about beauty, entrepreneurship, mental health, menstrual & sexual health, and more. Desi women, join our community NOW!