Yoga for the body has helped people maintain their health for centuries now. Off late, there is a lot of buzz in relation to face yoga which is designed to benefit the face, shoulders and neck. A lot of good things are being said about this yoga variant, but does face yoga method really work? What if it is just another trend which will die down with time?
Just like how conventional yoga asanas are aimed at bringing about flexibility in the body, face yoga is proven to stimulate and stretch the facial skin, facial muscles and the lymphatic system. In simple words, this kind of yoga is a workout for your face. Face yoga can help to improve the skin quality, relax the facial muscles and improve the blood circulation in the face. All of these make the individual feel better and look better.
Benefits Of Face Yoga
Other than the occasional facial and cleanup, we seldom pay attention to the well being of our facial skin. Here are the ways in which facial yoga can help your face:
- Face yoga can help in the reduction of face fat and make the face look sharp and chiselled.
- The practise of face yoga brings a healthy glow to the face.
- Face yoga helps to improve one’s control over the facial muscles.
- Sagging of the skin and dark circles can be corrected to quite an extent with the help of face yoga.
- An individual can expect a sense of peace and calm after a session of face yoga.
- Practising face yoga can help an individual to correct any faults in their nasal breathing pattern.
5 Face Yoga Asanas
1. Face Yoga For The Lips
Every woman dreams of having fuller lips. This face yoga technique is a safe, easy and inexpensive alternative to the painful lip enhancement surgeries and fillers. People who ask “does face yoga method really work” will be in for a surprise when they begin to notice plump lips with regular practice of these asanas. Spare a few minutes each day for this yoga practise and you are sure to see a difference in the appearance of your lips.
- Fill your mouth with air. Now slowly move the air from one cheek to another. Repeat this practise 10 times. This helps in reduction of fine lines around the lips.
- Open your mouth as wide as you can. Remain in this position for 10 seconds. Relax your mouth and repeat five times.
- Stand in front of the mirror and blow as many kisses as you can to yourself. Relax the jaw and repeat the process 5 more times.
2. Face Yoga For The Eyes
Does face yoga method really work for people with dark circles? The answer is yes, most definitely. Puffy eyes and dark circles are very common skin problems. Face yoga can help correct these problems. These practices stimulate the flow of blood in the eye region, causing the area to look bright and refreshed. Face yoga also helps in reducing crow’s feet and other fine lines in the eye region.
- Place your ring fingers on the insides of your eyebrows.
- Using feather light touch, gently tap your fingers all over the eyebrow.
- Continue tapping along your cheekbones until you reach the tip of your nose.
- Repeat this process five times.
3. Face Yoga For The Neck
Bad posture and working on the computer for long periods of time can cause stress and tension in the neck muscles. This facial yoga practise gives a good stretch to the neck muscles, releases any tension and also tones the neck.
- Sit straight on a chair.
- Keeping the rest of your body still, tilt your neck to the right side of your body at a 45 degree angle.
- Hold this position for 10 seconds.
- Come back to the neutral position and repeat on another side.
- It is important to keep breathing naturally while doing this pose.
4. Face Yoga For The Forehead
This yoga asana is a great replacement for Botox. Appearance of fine lines and wrinkles on the forehead is a concern many women have. Face yoga helps in smoothing these lines and making the face look younger and healthier. This face yoga asana also helps in relaxation.
- Place both your hands in the centre of your forehead in a way that your fingers are spread out between your hairline and the eyebrows.
- Slowly drag your singles in the outward direction across your forehead. Apply gentle pressure in order to bring about tightening of the skin.
- Repeat this process 5-7 times.
5. Face Yoga For Blood Circulation
Blood circulation to the face is often compromised as we age. This face yoga practise is very helpful in stimulating the flow of blood to various parts of the face, causing it to be healthy on the inside and look better on the outside. The slow tapping on the face also feels like a massage and brings about relaxation and calm.
- Rub your hands together to generate some heat.
- Now stopping at your forehead, gently stop your face in a rhythmic fashion.
- Continue tapping your entire face.
- Tap your neck and shoulders in a similar manner.
- Repeat the process a few times.
- Face yoga benefits the face in a lot of ways. However, the effects of this kind of yoga might be different for different people. While one individual might see a very noticeable change, another one might not be able to achieve the same results.
- Does face yoga method really work is a burning question amongst many because most people lack consistency in their practice. When it comes to any kind of yoga, consistency is the key. One has to practice face yoga regularly in order to see the expected results. Experts suggest that face yoga should be done 6-7 times a week for 20 minutes.
- Although there is no evidence to prove it, some experts are of the opinion that excessive amounts of face yoga can increase the number of fine lines and wrinkles on the skin. They believe that stretching the facial skin, which is an essential part of this yoga, causes wrinkles to appear sooner.
- To be able to gain maximum benefits from face yoga, it is extremely important to do the face yoga asanas correctly. If the asanas are done incorrectly over an extended period, the individual may notice skin deterioration due to incorrect stretching and stimulation of the facial muscles. It is highly recommended that people who are new to face yoga seek guidance from a professional.
- One must always clean their hands before performing facial yoga. Since the practice involves constant touching, stretching and massaging of the face with fingers, cleansing hands thoroughly before you start is imperative to avoid allergies and breakouts.
- Apply a moisturising cream or lotion on a clean face before your face yoga practice. Face yoga on skin that is not hydrated well can irritate the skin and make the skin lose its elasticity. The massaging techniques of face yoga will also ensure that your skincare products are well absorbed.
- People often ask, does face yoga method really work in relaxing the body like regular yoga? Similar to conventional yoga, breathing plays a very important role in face yoga. Focus on your breathing for the entire duration of the face yoga practice. Mindful breathing helps in relaxing the body and making it more receptive to the benefits of face yoga.
For people still wondering, does face yoga method really work, there is conclusive evidence that suggests everyone should practice this form of yoga. The regular practice of face yoga asanas ensures that not only does the face look better, it also becomes healthier. Taking out a little time each day for face yoga can help you get rid of toxins, beat stress, improve blood circulation, reverse signs of ageing and enjoy a youthful glow on your skin.