You probably have a great skincare routine that involves a bunch of products and techniques that look like an offering to the beauty gods! Yes, we all have beauty regimes we think work wonders for us and changing even one aspect of it feels weird. And yet, you end up with not-so-great results that leave you fuming. Well, no more. The moisture sandwich technique is here to impress us all and finally give you the skin you’ve been dreaming of, or seeking on Instagram with various filters.
A Moisture Sandwich? For Skin Care?
A moisture sandwich is the art of layering your skincare products in a way that helps lock in hydration. It refers to dampening your skin, applying a humectant-based product that retains moisture and then applying a balm that prevents the loss of moisture. This trend is a great technique to ensure that the hydration gets locked in.
By putting lighter, more watery products on damp skin and then layering something thicker, the water gets trapped for longer. In turn, this gives you more hydrated and bouncy skin. The damp skin allows deeper penetration of any skincare product that is light and/or gel-based. Then, layering that with a moisturiser ensures that the water and moisture is trapped underneath it. This layering of different moisturising products helps to boost and double up the hydration of the skin.
Here’s Your Guide To Creating A Great Moisture Sandwich
For Your Skin
- Start with damp skin, just out of the shower, or apply a mist.
- Then apply a glycerin or hyaluronic acid-based serum which helps retain moisture.
- Next, massage in a moisturiser gently to seal the hydration in.
- Finally, add an oil or body butter that’s occlusive that’ll keep the moisture locked in.
For Your Lips
- Dampen your lips with water.
- Then, apply a moisturiser on top, like the one you use for your body.
- Finally, apply a thick layer of lip balm on top.
TC46’s Moisture Sandwich Routine
1. Damp It Up
Water is just fine if that’s what you’re using to damp your face. But if you want your skincare to begin with the first step, how about a quality face mist? Just choose one with minimal and natural ingredients and make it special.
- Kama Ayurveda’s Pure Rose Water
- Juicy Chemistry’s Bulgarian Rose Water Toner
2. Serum Is In
Before the mist or toner gets absorbed, you need to add a layer of refined hydration. A face serum adds the right ingredients your skin needs along with an intense dose of moisturisation. Make sure to test it out before you use it.
- Belissimo Creazione’s Aloe Vera Skin Serum
- The Derma Co’s 20% Vitamin C Face Serum
3. Moisturiser Is A Must
Next comes the holy grail of skincare, a good moisturiser. Pick one that suits your skin and addresses your concerns. The best way to apply it is to take a pea-sized portion and massage it gently.
- DoYOU Nourishing Moisturiser
- Re’equil’s Ceramide & Hyaluronic Acid Moisturiser
4. Seal It In
The final step is to add a layer of body butter or oil to make sure the moisture doesn’t evaporate from your skin. Make sure to use a tiny amount as it goes a long way to help you finish the moisture sandwich.
- Vishisht’s Natural Citronella Body Balm
- mCaffeine’s Naked and Rich Choco Body Butter
Now that you know all about the art of layering skincare to create the ultimate moisture sandwich, give the recommended products a try. And don’t forget to share your favourites in the comments down below! Here are some quick tips on how you can make homemade toner and use it daily.
Quick Tip: Click here to quickly find out some amazing benefits of rose water for skin.