Pore visibility completely depends on your type of skin. There are two types of pores. One that releases the body’s natural oils called sebum and the other that releases sweat. It is not possible to get rid of large pores but there are ways to reduce its appearance.
In collaboration with The Channel 46, clean beauty brand Lisen advises 10 ways to minimise the appearance of large, visible pores.
1. Choose Water-Based Products
Moisturising products contain active ingredients including oils. These might not be the best for people with oily skin. Hence, people with oily skin should opt for products that are high in humectants, which are substances that attract water from deeper in the skin or from the air.
2. Wash Your Face Both Morning & Night
Washing your face is a part of the basic skincare routine. Gently apply the cleanser on your face with clean fingers and wash it off with lukewarm water.
Read: 6 Popular Skincare Actives (& How To Use Them Correctly)
3. Choose Gel-Based Cleansers
A gel-based cleanser is suitable for those with oily skin, who want to make their pores less visible. Avoid oil-based or alcohol-based cleansers as they may irritate the skin.
4. Exfoliating Once Or Twice A Week
Exfoliating your skin once or twice every week is essential to remove dirt and grime that clog the pores. Apart from dirt, excess oil and dead skin cells are also known to clog the pores on your skin. Do not exfoliate more than twice a week as that can dry up the skin. Go for a gentle exfoliator that is integrated with AHA/BHA peel. These not only remove materials that clog the pores, but also help you get rid of blackheads and whiteheads, and also control roughness and blemishes.
5. Moisturise Everyday
An oil-free moisturiser is of utmost importance as it can help reduce pore enlargement. Take care to apply it at least once a day, every day.
Read: 10 Indian Vegan Beauty Brands That Have Badhiya Skincare & Makeup
6. Apply A Clay Mask
Using a clay mask once or twice a week can remove additional oil from the pores. Removing that oil can help prevent pores from becoming enlarged and also make them less visible.
7. Always Removing Makeup At Night
Sleeping overnight with makeup on can cause the pores to become blocked due to a buildup of makeup, oil, and bacteria. So, remove your makeup thoroughly before you hit the bed, irrespective of how tired you are.
8. Wear Sunscreen Throughout The Day
Sun exposure can dry the skin, making pores appear larger. Opt for a quick-absorbing and lightweight sweat-proof formula that provides broad-spectrum SPF 50+ protection against the harmful UVA and UVB rays. If you don’t know already, sunscreen is not meant for applying only when you are stepping out into the sun. It is absolutely necessary for you to apply generous amounts of it even when you are at home. This is because sun rays penetrate indoors, affecting your skin in more ways than one, including enlarging pores.
9. Use Peeling Sticks
This again helps to remove any dirt and gunk stuck in the pore, thus, helping in minimising their visibility.
10. Keep Your Hands Off Your Face
Your fingertips often contain dirt as a result of it touching different surfaces – a fact that you may not be conscious of all the time. The bacteria on your fingers can get transferred onto your face when you touch it, consciously or sub-consciously, and make their way into your pores.
- People with oily skin should opt for products that are high in humectants (substances that attract water from deeper in the skin or from the air).
- Wash your face twice a day – once in the morning and again at night. Gently apply the cleanser on your face with clean fingers and wash it off with lukewarm water.
- People with oily skin should avoid oil-based or alcohol-based cleansers to prevent their pores from appearing visibly enlarged.
- Exfoliating your skin is important to rid your face of dirt, excess oil and dead skin cells, which not only clog the pores but also make them appear larger.
- An oil-free moisturiser is of utmost importance as it can help reduce pore enlargement.
- Pores can get enlarged if you leave your makeup on overnight due to a buildup of makeup, dirt, and bacteria.
- Sun exposure can dry the skin, making pores appear larger. Remember you are exposed to sun rays not only when you are outside but even when you are indoors.
- Peeling sticks work wonders in controlling your pores from becoming enlarged.
- Make a conscious effort to not touch your face at all as your fingertips might contain dirt. This dirt can get transferred onto your face and make their way into your pores.
Tip: Who says wine is just a great party starter? Here are some tips on how to use red wine for face.
Open up like never before and participate in conversations about beauty, entrepreneurship, mental health, menstrual & sexual health, and more. Desi women, join our community NOW!