Summer is here and while you are dreaming about bringing out those breezy florals and breathable cottons, your summer haircut requires some thought too. The heat and humidity of the season can make hairstyling a nightmare. Read on for some amazing summer hairstyles and maintenance tips that will have your hair feeling and looking great all season. Since the summers are associated with frizzy hair and a sweaty scalp, hairstylists suggest that summer hairstyles for women should be hassle-free and heat-free. It is common for most women to sport short hair during the season to help them battle the heat. However, there are a good number of summer hairstyles for long hair as well.
12 Summer Hairstyles To Choose From According To Your Hair Length
1. Twisted Braid
This is amongst the easiest and prettiest summer hairstyles for long hair. The braid barely takes any time to make and it keeps the hair away from your face. It is a hairstyle that is ideal for hot summer days.
- Backcomb the top section of your hair to create some volume.
- Loosely take this section to the back of your head and divide it into three.
- Start making a loose classic three-strand braid.
- Keep on adding hair from each side to the centre section of the braid till you reach the neck. Keep on pulling at the braid to make it look fuller.
- Now divide the hair into two sections and twist them around one another till you reach the end of the hair length.
- Secure the braid with a hair accessory of your choice.
2. Messy Bun
This easy to create bun is perfect for medium to long hair. This hairstyle works very well for women who do not want to lose their long tresses to a summer haircut but also want to save themselves from the scorching heat.
- Use your fingers to make a very high ponytail. Secure it with a tight band.
- Twist the hair till you reach the end of the hair length.
- Take a very thin section of hair from the twisted ponytail.
- Holding on to the thin section with one hand, use another hand to push the rest of the hair towards the top of the head.
- Repeat this process one more time to create more bounce.
- Take all the hair and wrap it around the band to create a messy bun.
- Secure the bun with pins.
3. High Ponytail
This ponytail is definitely one of the quickest summer hairstyles for long hair, making it perfect for college or work. All you need is two scrunchies and two minutes to create this high on fashion and low on effort look.
- Take a thick section of hair from the crown of your head and secure it with a clip. This will form the upper section of the ponytail.
- Now take the rest of the hair (the lower section) and make a high ponytail, securing it with a scrunchie.
- Take the clip off the upper section, add it to the existing ponytail to create a voluminous high ponytail.
- You can choose to pull out some hair from the sides to make the ponytail look messy.
4. Low Bun
This quick bun is for the people who think that there aren’t many summer hairstyles for short hair. It literally takes 30 seconds to create this look and it requires no hairstyling expertise whatsoever.
- Part your hair in the middle.
- Use a scrunchie to make a loose, low ponytail.
- Create a space on top of the scrunchie with your fingers and bring the hair into this space to create a loose bun.
- You can take thin hair sections from both sides of your face, twist them and tuck them into the bun to add more drama.
5. Rosette Half Bun
This gorgeous half bun is suited for all hair lengths. It is one of the few summer hairstyles that can be dressed up and down to suit the occasion. Just add some hair accessories and you can make this quick everyday hairstyle work for any function or event.
- Bring a thick section of hair from the front of your face to the back and tie it with a band.
- Divide the section into two equal parts.
- Keep on twisting the two sections around one another till you reach the end of the hair length.
- Now begin wrapping this twisted section around the band to create a rosette.
- Secure the rosette bun with pins.
6. Ponytail With A Twist
Ponytails are the most common and versatile summer hairstyles. This twist on the classic ponytail makes it look very neat and trendy. The best part of it all is that the hairstyle takes just minutes to create.
- Part your hair in the middle.
- Take the portion of hair to the right of your face and secure it with a clip.
- Repeat on the left side.
- Use all the hair at the back of your head to create a high ponytail.
- Remove the clips from both sides of your face.
- Combine the upper half section of hair from each side and bring it to the back of your head.
- Create a pouffe and pin the hair in place.
- Now take the lower section of hair from one of the sides, twist it and take it to the opposite side of the head, wrapping it around the ponytail. Secure with a pin.
- Repeat on the other side.
7. Braided Ponytail
All of us know how to make a classic three-strand braid and how to tie a ponytail. But who would have thought that incorporating both these techniques in one hairstyle can create such a fresh and gorgeous summer look!
- Part your hair in the middle
- Take a section of hair on any one side and make a three-strand braid.
- Secure the braid with a band.
- Now take all the hair to your back of the head (including the braid) and tie a ponytail.
8. Twisted Ponytail
Another one amongst the summer hairstyles that are suited for all hair lengths, this twisted ponytail is as suitable for work as it is for a mehendi or haldi function.
- Part your side on the side of your choice.
- Take a section on one side of your face and begin twisting the hair.
- Continue the twisting process by gradually adding more hair as your work towards the back of your head.
- Once you reach the neck, secure the twisted section with a clip.
- Repeat the twisting process on the other side as well.
- Use a band to tie a low ponytail, incorporating both the twisted sections.
- Take a one -section from the ponytail and wrap it around the band, securing it with a pin.
9. Hairstyle With A Headband
Headbands are a girl’s true best friends. They keep the hair out of your face and help you get a unique look as they are available in so many patterns and designs. This hairstyle is a quick way to wear your headband in a stylish manner without having to leave your hair loose on a hot day.
- Part your hair in the middle.
- Take thin sections of hair from each side of your face and secure it with clips/bands.
- Wear a headband just behind these sections.
- Make a low ponytail with the rest of the hair. Secure with a band.
- Unclip the section on one side of the face and twist the hair.
- Take this twisted section to the back of your hair and wrap it around the ponytail, starting from the opposite side.
- Repeat the process on the other side.
10. Faux French Braid Headband
Don’t we all just love french braids? But nobody has that kind of time and patience to create such elaborate summer hairstyles. This hairstyle uses the very versatile zigzag headband to create a look that very closely resembles a french braid.
- Comb your hair to ensure there are no tangles.
- Wear the zigzag headband by pushing it a little further backwards and then bringing it ahead to create volume.
- Take a section of hair from the nape of your neck, bring it to the front and make a three-strand braid.
- Pull on the sides of the braid to make it look fuller.
- Take the braided section to the other side of the head, placing it on top of the headband as you go.
- Secure the ends of the braid to the back of your head using pins.
- Hide the pins under the hair.
11. Chopstick Bun
Fascinated by the tight hair buns women can create only with the help of chopsticks? This is your chance to replicate the same look with no additional skills, only using a pencil or a chopstick. This hairdo is popular amongst women looking for innovative summer hairstyles for long hair.
- Comb your hair to smoothen it out.
- Bring all your hair to the top of your hair as if to tie a high ponytail.
- Now start twisting your hair while simultaneously wrapping them around in a clockwise direction to create a tight bun.
- When you reach the end of the hair length, tuck the hair inside the bun.
- Holding the bun with one hand, take the chopstick/pencil in another hand.
- Insert the chopstick/pencil into the outside edge of the bun from top to bottom.
- The end of the chopstick/pencil should now be facing outside the bun.
- Turn the chopstick/pencil around and bring it out from the other end of the bun, securing it tightly.
12. Bandana Braid
Scarves and bandanas are exceptionally popular when it comes to choosing summer hairstyles. Not only do they add a pop of colour to the hairstyle, but they also protect the hair from the harsh sun. If you are looking for summer hairstyles for short hair, simply tie the bandana on top of your head like a hairband. Summer hairstyles for long hair involve making this simple braid with the bandana.
- Fold the bandana into half, creating a triangle.
- Now fold the triangle until it starts looking like a roll of fabric.
- Take all your hair on one side of the face.
- Start creating a simple three strand side braid.
- Add the bandana to any one of the three-strands of the braid and continue to braid till you reach the end of the hair length.
- Secure the braid with a band.
Big fan of braiding your hair? Then try these 2 super easy and simple hairstyles!
Common Mistakes To Avoid With Summer Hairstyles
Maintaining your hair in the summers takes a little extra effort. Many people think that getting fancy summer haircuts for women is all it takes for getting your hair summer-ready. Unfortunately, summer hair care has to be done correctly irrespective of the length of the hair.
1. Using Too Much Heat
Although a quick blow-dry is the best way to instantly up your hair game, it might not be the best option during the summers. Since the hair is already subjected to excessive heat and humidity, using more heat on the hair can make them extremely dry and brittle.
2. Excessive Combing
A very common reason for the growing popularity of summer haircuts for women is the hair loss associated with the season. Combing your hair too often or for too long can lead to hair breakage. Also, the kind of comb you use is of extreme importance. There are different kinds of combs that suit different kinds of hair textures. Using the correct comb is the key to having tangle-free healthy hair during the summers.
3. Shampooing Everyday
Even though women feel the need to shampoo their hair every day during the summers owing to the sweat, experts recommend against it. Too much shampooing strips the scalp of its natural oils and moisture and causes dandruff and dry hair. It is also recommended to use milder shampoos during the summer season.
4. Skipping Hair Oil
The hair tends to get very dry during the summers. Hence, it needs its champi from time to time. One must never skip the regular oiling sessions during the summer months because the heat and humidity accompanied by the more frequent shampooing sessions can spoil the health of the hair. Buy natural and effective hair oils, serums, shampoos and conditioners to get healthy, happy hair at the Red Dot Shop.
5. Overexposing Hair To The Sun
The sun’s UV rays can cause a lot of damage to the hair. It is advised to keep exposure of hair to the sun as minimum as possible. In situations when you cannot help staying out for long hours in the sun, a scarf or dupatta can be used to cover your hair.
While summers are the time to soak up the sun and enjoy your time at the beach, this season is particularly rough on the hair. Hence, it is necessary for women to plan their hair care routine, summer haircut and summer hairstyles in advance so they can enjoy the summers without having to worry about common summer-related hair problems like dandruff, hair breakage and dryness to name a few.