Summertime is a welcoming change after months of harsh cold weather. And as much as we enjoy everything about summers, it is a fact that this season can take a toll on your skin. No wonder, you find yourself repeatedly exclaiming “Haye yeh garmi” innumerable times just a few days into the scorching summer season.
Factors like overexposure to sun, excessive humidity and sweating can result in several skin problems like oily skin, tanning, sunburn, acne, rashes and bejaan chehra. Dull skin appears dry, patchy and lacks radiance and glow. It is, perhaps, the most common issue that people face during this time of the year. But daro mat! With care, it is quite possible to keep this skin problem at bay and #BeALittleMore for your skin during harsh summer conditions. Let’s find out how!
4 Causes Of Dull Skin During Summers
Here are a few common dull skin causes during summertime:
During the summer season, your skin can get dehydrated due to the lack of water content in your skin, making it appear dull and lifeless. Dehydrated skin is also prone to wrinkles and fine lines and texture that increase the appearance of dullness.
2. Sun Exposure
One of the major dull skin causes during summers is excessive sun exposure. Excessive exposure to the sun decreases the rate of skin cell turnover and can damage the skin barrier, which results in dull skin.
3. Dead Skin Build-Up
Increase in the sebum production and the dead cell build-up is one of the main causes of dull skin.
Over exposure to dust, smoke and other pollutants can wreak havoc on the skin. It can dehydrate your skin, clog your pores and disrupt the pH balance of your skin, making it appear dull.
7 Home Remedies For Dull Skin That Truly Work
You can use any of the following home remedies for dull skin to keep skin dullness at bay and maintain healthy and radiant looking skin during the summer season.
1. Cucumber and Tomato Mask
One of the easiest and most effective dull skin remedies you can try out at home is this super soothing face pack. Cucumber is packed with vitamins and minerals which help in rejuvenating the dull skin. It also has cooling and soothing effects on skin. Tomato helps in getting rid of dead skin cells along with offering other significant benefits. This mask will give your skin a radiant glow.
- Take equal parts of cucumber and tomato and puree them together to make a smooth paste
- Apply this face pack for dry and dull skin and let it sit for 15 minutes
- Rinse with lukewarm water and follow up with a moisturizer
2. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera gel nourishes, hydrates and helps in brightening the skin.
- Scoop the gel from the aloe vera leaf and apply a thick layer of it on your skin
- Leave it for 30 minutes, then wash it off with plain water
- It will instantly give a healthy glow to your skin
Papaya helps in removing dead skin and getting rid of clogged pores. Thus, it helps to brighten your skin. It is one of the best ingredients to include in your beauty regime.
- Take a slice of ripe papaya and mash it to form a smooth paste
- Massage your skin with it for 5 minutes
- Let it sit for 10 minutes before washing
4. Honey And Banana Pack
Another remedy you can use for dull skin treatment is this nourishing banana and honey face pack. Honey will give instant glow to your skin. Bananas are rich in potassium, vitamin E and vitamin C and help in brightening dull skin.
- Take one ripe banana and 2 teaspoons of honey
- Mash the banana with a spoon and mix it with honey
- Apply this face pack for dry and dull skin and leave it on for 15-20 minutes
- Wash with lukewarm water and moisturise your skin
5. Raw Milk
Raw milk can do wonders for your skin. It is a rich source of vitamins and nutrients and also has exfoliating and hydrating properties.
- Take 2 teaspoons of raw milk
- Dip a cotton pad in it and gently apply on the skin
6. Rose Water
Rose water is one of the oldest ingredients used in home remedies and dull skin remedies for maintaining healthy and glowing skin. It can hydrate, moisturise and revitalise the skin. It also helps in maintaining the pH balance of the skin. Apply it with the help of a cotton pad or directly spritz on the skin like a mist.
7. Coffee And Yoghurt Scrub
Exfoliate your skin with the goodness of caffeine and yogurt. Caffeine is an antioxidant and protects your skin against free radical damage whereas yogurt will mildly exfoliate, brighten and moisturize the skin.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of coffee and 1 teaspoon of yogurt
- Apply the mixture on your skin and scrub gently for about 2 to 3 minutes in upward circular motions
- Let it sit for 5 more minutes for additional benefits
- Wash off with water and apply moisturiser
4 Must-Have Products To Brighten Your Dull Skin
Skin needs extra care during summer to maintain its healthy glow. Help your dull skin get back to its original glow by adding these products to your skin care routine.
1. Facial Mist
Include facial mists in your skin care regimen to tone brighten and hydrate your skin instantly. Whenever your skin feels dry and dull, use facial mists to refresh your skin.
Sunscreen is the most important part of any skin care regime. As sun exposure is harmful to your skin, protect your skin from sun damage by applying broad spectrum sunscreen, at least of SPF 30.
3. Vitamin C Serum
To combat dull skin, invest in a good vitamin C serum. It has excellent skin brightening properties and also removes dead skin cells to give you fresh and glowing skin.
Summer heat can dehydrate your skin, making your skin look dull. It is important to keep your skin moisturised even in summers. Choose a moisturizer according to your skin type and include it in your skin care routine to prevent your skin from getting too oily or too dry.
Do’s & Don’ts For Maintaining Clear & Glowing Skin During Summer
Here are a few tips that can help you keep your skin fresh and healthy during summers.
- Don’t forget to add antioxidants to your skincare routine.
- If you have oily skin, use a foaming cleanser with salicylic acid during this season.
- In case you have dry skin, use a non-soapy face cleanser.
- Eat healthy. Add vegetables and fruits to your diet. Maintaining a balanced diet is essential to keep away dull skin.
- Exfoliate regularly to keep your skin fresh and radiant.
- Use a face mist to keep your skin cool.
- Use a good quality toner.
- Keep your skin moisturised.
- Wear breathable fabrics.
- Don’t step out in the sun without your sunscreen.
- Don’t forget to stay hydrated.
- Do not compromise on your sleep and resting time.
- Avoid steam baths and hot water showers.
- Avoid heavy makeup.
- Avoid excessive sugary drinks.
A healthy skin care routine is perhaps the best way to avoid dull skin during summers. Instead of relying on chemical laden commercial products, you can use the dull skin treatment home remedies mentioned above to keep your skin soft, supple and glowing! Factors like a healthy diet, drinking ample water, getting enough sleep and maintaining a healthy lifestyle also play a major role in maintaining a healthy and radiant skin. A little pamper and care goes a long way in keeping your skin young, healthy and beautiful.
Open up like never before and participate in conversations about beauty, entrepreneurship, mental health, menstrual & sexual health, and more. Desi women, join our community NOW!