The moment you see ‘hot oil massage’, it must have taken you back to the days when your good old dadi or nani would give you a priceless champi session with all the love and care that they could gather. Ah, woh bhi kya din the!
Our busy lives and hectic schedule leave us with no time to indulge in some much-needed self-care! However, a little pampering with some desi nuskhes can go a long way, especially when it comes to your hair health. Hot oil massage is an age-old ritual in our country. It is not only a great way to de-stress but also a tried and tested method for achieving healthy and beautiful hair.
Now, this may seem a cumbersome task at first when you have to do it all by yourself. But once it becomes a part of your routine, the hair oil massage benefits you will experience will leave you amazed. Moreover, why not #BeALittleMore when it comes to self-TLC.
Read on to find out more about hot oil massages and how to carry out this simple but effective treatment at home.
9 Hair Massage Benefits
Here are a few hair massage benefits you must know about:
- One of the major head massage benefits is hair growth. Regular hot oil scalp massage can promote hair growth by stimulating blood circulation and helping in better nutrient distribution to hair follicles.
- According to a study, scalp massage may also cause an increase in hair thickness. This happens due to the direct stimulation of force on dermal papilla cells.
- Hot oil gets deeply absorbed into the scalp, thus providing much-needed nourishment to your tissues and hair follicles. Result? Healthy and beautiful hair!
- One of the major causes of dandruff is dry skin on the scalp. Studies have proven that oils can address this issue and aid in reducing dandruff.
- Another major hair oil massage benefit is that this treatment can keep your hair healthy. Hot oil massage can help protect your hair from sun damage by forming a protective sheath over them.
- Since hot oil massage nourishes and moisturises your hair, you will experience less frizz and flyaways.
- Regular hot oil massage treatment helps keep split ends and dryness, giving you more lustrous tresses.
- Applying oil on a regular basis lubricates the hair shaft. It forms a protective coating around the hair, thus protecting it from breakage.
- This is one of the most important head massage benefits you should know about! Regular oil massages provide adequate nourishment to hair follicles and boost blood circulation to that area. This can aid in preventing premature greying of hair. Moreover, oil prevents hair lightening by protecting the hair from pollution and sun damage.
Now that you know all about head massage benefits, let’s talk about how to carry out hot oil hair treatment at home.
2-Step Process For Hot Oil Massage
Before we come to how to massage scalp with hot oil, there are a few things you need to do in order to prepare for this amazing hair treatment.
1. Preparing The Hot Oil For Massage
Here is what you need to do in order to prepare the perfect concoction for a relaxing hot oil massage.
Things You Will Need:
- 2 to 3 tablespoons oil
- Glass container
- Large bowl
- Hot water
- Plastic shower cap
- Take about 2 to 3 tablespoons of oil (more or less, depending upon the length and thickness of your tresses) in a heat-safe bowl or a glass container.
- Heat the water and pour it into the other (larger) bowl.
- Now place the glass container in the bigger bowl. Let it stay partly immersed for a few minutes. Dip your finger to check if the oil has heated up to your desired temperature before removing the container from the bowl.
- Your hot oil is ready to use.
2. Preparing Your Hair For Hot Oil Massage
It is advisable not to apply hot oil to dirty hair. Wash your hair a day before you plan to indulge in hot oil hair treatment. Also, make sure your hair is free of tangles and knots before applying the oil.
How To Massage Scalp And Hair With Hot Oil
Here is how to massage hair using a hot oil of your choice:
- Brush and divide your hair into two equal sections. In case you have thick hair, you may split each section into two parts. Use clips to keep away the other sections as you work on the one.
- Wondering how to massage your hair with hot oil? Simply use your fingers to scoop some oil and then spread it onto your palms. Now start massaging your scalp in circular motions. Start from the top and gradually work your way down.
- Hold up each hair section to make sure you cover the scalp area underneath.
- Continue until you have covered all the sections.
- Once you have covered the scalp area, use a wide-tooth comb to pull down the oil to the hair ends.
- Once you have covered your entire head with the oil, tie your hair in a bun and wear a shower cap to keep things from getting messy.
- You can leave the oil overnight or at least for 30 minutes.
- You may also consider wrapping your hair in a hot towel for about 30 minutes for better results.
- Wash off the oil with a mild shampoo. Shampoo it again if your hair feels greasy after the first wash.
- Follow with a good hair conditioner.
Top 5 Hair Oils For Hot Oil Treatment
Here are some popular hair oil choices for hot oil treatment. Each of these oils comes with its own set of benefits. You can choose one according to your hair issues and preferences.
1. Coconut Oil
This oil comes packed with antifungal, anti-bacterial and soothing properties. According to studies, virgin coconut oil may also exhibit anti-inflammatory properties. It can aid in keeping your hair moisturised and reducing hair fall. It is also effective in boosting shine.
2. Almond Oil
This light and non-sticky oil comes loaded with the goodness of vitamin E. It can help keep your hair nourished, moisturised, strong and shiny. It is also effective in reducing dandruff by keeping the scalp nourished.
3. Olive Oil
Olive oil contains essential fatty acids that can be effective in nourishing hair roots and revitalising the scalp. It can be effective in boosting hair growth. This oil contains oleic acid, which penetrates the hair shaft with ease and helps in locking in moisture.
4. Sesame Oil
Commonly used in Ayurvedic remedies, this wonder oil helps promote hair growth and treat scalp infections. It is also highly effective in treating dandruff, nourishing the scalp and conditioning the hair.
5. Jojoba Oil
Jojoba oil is widely used in home remedies, beauty treatments, and cosmetics. It can promote hair growth by loosening and removing scalp buildup. It also protects the hair from damage and keeps it moisturised. This oil is the best choice for people who are prone to allergies since it is hypoallergenic.
Effective Tips For Hair Nourishment
Now that you know how to massage your hair with hot oil, let’s see what else you need to do in order to keep your hair nourished and healthy!
- Use mild hair care products.
- Wash your hair every 2 to 3 days.
- Avoid the overuse of chemical-based hair products and styling tools.
- Use ingredients like eggs, amla, shikakai, reetha, yoghurt etc for making nourishing homemade hair masks.
- Oil your hair regularly.
- Do not wash your hair with hot water.
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet and drink plenty of water
Q. How to know when my hair needs hot oil treatment?
A. You can benefit from regular hot oil massage in case you are experiencing issues like damaged hair strands, scalp dryness, dandruff, thinning or hair fall. You can also carry out hot oil treatment if you want to boost your hair growth, prevent premature growth and add lustre to your tresses.
Q. How long should you keep the oil in your hair?
A. For best results, leave the oil in your hair for about 30 minutes. You may also leave it overnight before washing it off the next morning. You can increase the effectiveness of your hot oil by wrapping your hair in a hot towel.
Q. How often should you apply hot oil to your hair?
A. You could use this hot oil treatment three times a week or once a week according to your hair type. If you have normal hair, apply hot oil treatment more than once a week for best results. In case you have oily hair, once a week will suffice. People with dry hair and scalp can use this treatment regularly until the dryness is controlled.
Why waste your time, energy and money on cosmetic hair care treatments when you can give your hair all the nourishment and care it needs with this effective and safe home remedy? Simply choose an oil that meets your hair requirements and pamper yourself with a relaxing hot oil massage right in the comforts of your home. But remember! For best results, you need to use this treatment regularly.
Open up like never before and participate in conversations about beauty, entrepreneurship, mental health, menstrual & sexual health, and more. Desi women, join our community NOW!