Acne and pigmentation are such common skin care problems that a lot of you often tend to ignore its presence. Unless it’s a severe case of acne breakout. Acne can be the result of diet and grime on the skin or due to an underlying health condition. However, did you know that you can bid goodbye to pimples and acne in most cases, by practicing a few yoga poses?
Before we move on to discussing the poses for yoga for acne, which work well in helping you keep acne and pigmentation away, let’s take a brief look at its common causes and how yoga treat these skin problems.
7 Common Causes Of Acne & Pigmentation
1. Hormone Changes
Contraceptives, pregnancy, processed foods, and natural ageing are some of the reasons why our bodies undergo hormonal changes. This manifests through symptoms like pimples, acne, pige=mentation among others.
Dehydration not only exerts pressure on the urinary stem but also results in acne and pimples. So the next time you find yourself breaking out into acne, think whether you are meeting your daily water intake of 3 litres.
3. Sun Damage
One of the leading reasons for acne and a whole lot of other skin concerns, this can be kept at bay by lathering up on a broad-spectrum sunscreen of an SPF of more than 30, not just when you’re outside but when you’re at home as well. Make it a habit to carry a hat/cap and a pair of sunglasses whenever you step out. Not just that, make sure to use your sunscreen every 2-3 hours to protect your skin.
Free radicals present in the environment leads to the depletion of the collagen content of your skin. It also stimulates pigment production over a course of time, which starts showing on your face soon.
Inflammatory skin conditions like psoriasis and acne can lead to pigmentation and other skin problems. Exposure to toxins and harsh chemicals too can have the same effect on your skin.
6. Diet Lacking In Nutrition
A diet that does not meet your nutritional needs, that is, it does not contribute sufficiently to the vitamin and mineral requirement of the body can also cause acne.
The nicotine content in cigarettes constricts blood vessels, which restricts oxygen supply to the skin. This manifests through premature signs of skin ageing like fine lines and wrinkles.
6 Ways In Which Yoga For Acne & Pigmentation Is Helpful
- Yoga for acne removes skin impurities, which are one of the primary sources of blemishes on your skin.
- It improves skin elasticity, restricting premature signs of skin ageing like fine lines and wrinkles.
- It works great in reducing stress and preventing anxiety and depression, which shows on your skin in the form of acne and pigmentation.
- Yoga for pimples and marks heal damaged skin by making breathing easier for it, which helps in preventing skin conditions like acne and pimples.
- It improves blood circulation that pumps vital nutrition to the skin’s surface, and even prevents and reverses skin damage caused by the sun.
- It regulates the level of hormonal production, the lack of which shows through dull skin, acne, and pigmentation.
7 Yoga Asanas For Pimple-Free, Glowing Skin
Apart from face yoga for acne, here are 7 yoga postures you can follow to boost skin health.
1. Vakrasana (Half Seated Spinal Twist)
This yoga for pimple-free skin stabilises your hormones, which inevitably shows through radiant, soft, smooth skin.
How To Do It
- Sit on a yoga mat and stretch your legs in front of you.
- Bend your left leg and place this foot beside your right knee.
- Exhale and then twist yourself from the waist towards the left, making sure your spine remains straight.
- Now, place your right hand towards the right foot in a way that the outer side of your right arm touches the outer side of your left leg.
- Take back your left arm and and try placing your palm on the floor and do this in a way that your upper body can be twisted while keeping the back upright.
- Repeat the above steps with the other side and repeat 2-3 times.
2. Matsyasana (Fish Pose)
An excellent pose for stimulating your thyroid glands that is responsible for regular hormones, the imbalance of which manifests through acne and dull skin, among various other symptoms. Refrain from practising this yoga for pimples, if you have a strain in your neck, spondylitis, or an injury in your neck or spine.
How To Do It
- For this yoga for acne scars, lie down on your back, keeping your hands parallel to your body.
- Push your hands underneath the hips with palms facing down.
- Bend your arms from the elbows.
- Inhale and while your check gets raised in the process, stretch your neck and place the crown of your head on the mat. Exhale gently.
- Hold the posture while taking in a deep breath again.
- Release the posture gradually.
3. Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
This yoga for pimples stimulates the thyroid glands yet again, helping you maintain the right hormonal balance. This yoga for pimples and marks also tone the neck and face muscles.
How To Do It
- Lie down on your front with your arms parallel to your body, and your palms pointing downwards.
- Place your feet together and press them firmly on the ground.
- Slowly raise your upper body up, using your core muscles, keeping your neck straight.
- Breathe in and out and hold the pose for 10-15 seconds.
- Repeat the pose 5-6 times.
4. Forward Bending Pose (Uttanasana)
This yoga pose works wonders in supplying the face and scalp with oxygen, offering anti-ageing benefits. Practise this position to bid goodbye to those ugly acne and welcome an even toned skin.
How To Do It
- For this face yoga for pimples, stand straight on the mat with your legs hip distance apart.
- Contract your thigh muscles and keep your legs straight.
- Raise your hands above your head.
- Slowly bend forwards.
- Tuck your fingers under your toes.
- If you cannot reach your toes, use yoga blocks under your hands so you can reach the floor.
- Stay in the pose for 30 seconds.
- Bring your hands on your waist and come back to the standing position while contracting your abdominal muscles.
5. Setu Bandha Sarvangasana (Bridge Pose)
Setu Bandha Sarvangasana or Bridge Pose improves blood circulation and cleans your body of toxins, which are the root cause of those acne and pimples on your face.
How To Do It
- For this yoga for pimple-free skin, lie down on your back with your feet parallel and hip-width apart.
- Bend your knees and place your feet flat on the ground with your heels close to your hips.
- Press your palms into the floor and lift your hips towards the ceiling.
- Engage your core muscles and hold the pose for 15-20 seconds.
- Slowly release the pose and lower your hips to the ground.
- Repeat this posture 5-6 times.
6. Padmasana (Lotus Pose)
This pose is a great stress-buster, which naturally reflects through smooth, glowing skin. What’s more, it also enhances blood circulation in your body, yet another reason that will give you a healthy-looking skin. However, don’t do this pose if you have knee pain.
How To Do It
- For this yoga for pimple-free skin, sit down on a yoga mat with a straight back and legs straightened in front of you.
- Lift your right knee and touch your left hip with it and touch your right hip with the left knee.
- Hold both your hands on your knees.
7. Yoga Mudrasana (Yogic Seal)
Practise this yoga position to bring a flush of oxygen to your face and see how it helps you in getting rid of acne and pigmentation.
How To Do It
- For this face yoga for pimples, sit in the Lotus Pose and keep your hands behind your back.
- Hold one wrist with the other hand.
- Close your eyes and breathe a few times.
- Inhale and exhale gently and keep doing so as long as you want to.
- Return to the starting position while inhaling slowly.
- Release from the Lotus position.
- Sit in the Lotus position again and repeat the above steps with the other leg.
6 Additional Tips To Maintain Clear, Glowing Skin
- Wash your face with a mild face wash, specially made for your skin type, twice a day.
- Follow a definite morning and night skincare routine.
- Never forget to keep your skin well moisturised and apply sunscreen during daytime, irrespective of whether you are outdoors or indoors.
- Follow a balanced, nutritious diet that is rich in the essential vitamins and minerals. Steer clear of deep fried foods and aerated drinks as they cause and aggravate an acne condition.
- Restrict your alcohol intake and quit smoking.
- Maintain a daily fitness routine because that contributes to overall health.
Yoga is the perfect answer to treating a wide range of health concerns. Even if medical intervention becomes necessary, yoga serves as an effective supportive treatment. Follow the above poses for yoga for pimple-free and glowing skin, if you often find yourself fighting acne and pigmentation. And observe how it transforms the health of your skin!
Open up like never before and participate in conversations about beauty, mental health, menstrual & sexual health, and more. Desi women, join our community NOW!