Struggling with your New Year’s resolution to eliminate belly fat? Well, you’re not alone! If you’re unable to find time to fit a gym workout, a Zumba class, or an early-morning run into your daily schedule, you can try yoga for belly fat reduction. Yoga gives you strength, flexibility, and mind-body awareness minus the extra stress on your joints.
Here is an effective routine that uses yoga to reduce belly fat. Combine it with a healthy diet, and you shall see results soon. Now, ditch the excuses, and try yoga at home.
But before that, let’s understand what causes belly fattening.
5 Common Causes Of Belly Fattening
Sugar remains the biggest culprit. For those who simply can’t resist gulab jamuns and mithai, cut back by indulging once a week. Go for sugarless chai or grab a fruit or nuts when you crave sweets.
2. Lack Of Protein In Diet
Do you know what is a big contributor to increased belly fat? It’s the low portion of protein in your diet. Your body needs protein to feel full and satisfied. That, in turn, increases your metabolic rate. Choose a sprout salad instead of samosa or try some roasted chickpeas instead of a store-bought snack.
According to a recent report, 9 out of 10 Indian women suffer from stress. You may not realize this but each time you stress about something, you only add to your waistline. Meditation and yoga promote relaxation by helping you focus on our body, mind, and breathing. Try Pranayama and reduce your caffeine intake to effectively combat stress in your life.
A goal for many women post-delivery is to lose that stretched, loose-hanging belly. But juggling the schedule of a newborn baby, adapting to the changes both physically and mentally and reaching that goal can be overwhelming. Here’s where yoga works best for new moms. By doing yoga at home, you have the advantage of the flexibility that aerobics or CrossFit classes might not offer.
PCOS affects 1 in 10 women. And it’s no news that PCOS causes weight gain, especially at your waistline. Alter your diet to include more fiber as well as fermented food like yogurt. Along with this, you need to make exercise a part of your daily routine.
So how do you get rid of belly fat? It’s simple, easy and effective; doing yoga to reduce belly fat. Practicing yoga at home is the best way to get rid of belly fat. Exercising in the comfort of your own house has a lot of perks. And it gives you the flexibility to mould and change your routine as you please.
There are countless classes advertising ‘yoga for flat tummy’ and ‘yoga for flat stomach’. But it is possible to get amazing results at home by doing yoga for belly fat. Try these exercises and feel the difference.
10 Must Do Yoga Asanas For Belly Fat Reduction
1. Plank Pose (Kumbhakasana)
This pose (asana) strengthens the abdominal muscles and is great for your arms and legs as well.
Here’s how to do it:
- Lie face down
- Lift your body up onto straightened arms
- Balance on your toes
- Facedown or forward
- Hold this pose for as long as you can
Take a break and then repeat a few more times while extending the time in this pose.
2. Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
This therapeutic pose is great for your lungs, arms, and torso. Follow these steps:
- Start by lying face down
- Spread your arms on the floor
- Stretch your legs back and slowly lift up your upper body
- Align your pelvic bone and toes to form a straight line while touching the floor
- Hold this position for 30 seconds
3. Camel Pose (Ustrasana)
Boost up your energy by bending back into Camel Pose. You need to:
- Kneel on the floor
- Arch your back slowly
- Touch your heels with your hands
- Hold this for 30 to 60 seconds
4. Seated Forward Bend Pose (Paschimottanasana)
This is an intense stretching pose. How to perform:
- Sit with your feet straight in front of you
- Exhale as you stretch your body towards your feet
- Hug your feet with your hands and hold for one minute
It is recommended that you perform this after Sukahasana or Padmasana.
5. Boat Pose (Paripurna Navasana)
Let’s strengthen your abdominal muscles and reduce belly fat with this exercise. This is how you do it:
- Lay down on your back
- Straighten and lift your legs
- Slowly lift your body
- Stretch your arms forward to form the sides of a boat and hold
6. Tree Pose (Vrksasana)
A well-known yoga pose that promotes balance and uses your strength. To do this:
- Begin by standing straight
- Lift and place your right foot on the inside of your left thigh
- Join hands and hold this pose for one minute
7. Bow Pose (Dhanurasana)
The Bow Pose proves that it is possible with yoga to reduce belly fat. The steps are as follows:
- Lie face down
- Lift up your hands and feet
- Join hands and feet above your body and hold them
8. Reverse Tabletop Pose (Ardha Purvottanasana)
Make your abs work harder and get that flat tummy with this one. Here’s how you do this pose:
- Sit on the floor
- Put your feet flat on the floor and keep your knees bent
- Plant your palms on the ground and lift your body
- Form a straight line with your head and knees
- Hold this for at least 30 seconds
9. Downward-Facing Dog Pose (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
A part of the Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar), this pose helps in improving balance as well as strengthening the abs. The steps are:
- Place your palms and feet flat on the ground
- Lift your body to form a 90-degree angle while facing down
- Hold this pose for one minute
10. Revolved Side Angle Pose (Parivrtta Parsvakonasana)
Engage your core abdominal muscles with this yoga exercise which is an essential part of yoga for belly fat reduction. How to perform:
- Kneel into a praying position
- Stand on one knee and bend it at a 90-degree angle
- Stretch the other leg and balance on the toes
- Tilt your body to the side and tilt forward to maintain balance
- Hold the Revolved Side Angle Pose for up to 30 seconds
Remember, the best time to practice yoga is first thing early in the morning. Wake up, empty your bowels and do yoga before breakfast. If early morning is a no-go for you, you can practice yoga for flat tummy at sunset.
Precautions While Practicing Yoga
Since yoga is a discipline, we need to keep in mind a few precautions.
- Consult your doctor and confirm whether yoga aligns with your medical history.
- Yoga is not a competitive activity, so do not engage in competition, even with
- Respect your body and listen to the way it reacts to the poses (asanas).
- Yoga should never be forced and pain is not a goal.
- Breathing in and out steadily is important in yoga.
- Those with heart conditions, blood pressure, and circulatory issues along with menstruating women should avoid complex poses.
The ancient Indian art of yoga creates harmony between your mind, body, and soul. Think of it as an elixir for health and wellness. Doing yoga to reduce belly fat will help you achieve not only a flat tummy but also serenity and discipline. Eating a healthy, balanced diet and regularly practicing yoga at home is vital. You are now equipped with this awesome beginner’s guide to yoga. So get started on working towards your body goals today.