Think of face serums and you’re automatically drawn to the lightweight texture of the products, which are a sea change from lotions, balms, and moisturisers that lay it on thick. And don’t be fooled! With the right ingredients and if you fit them correctly into your skincare routine, face serums can be even more hydrating than most moisturisers. Their tiny molecules go deep into the skin and can deliver skin repairing actives in a targeted manner. So, here’s a little guide to teach you how you can use face serums to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Why Should You Use Face Serums?
Wrinkles and fine lines can appear with age because, over time, your skin loses its elasticity and the ability to bounce back. Serums help you maintain this elasticity by stimulating the growth of collagen and elastin, and reducing signs of skin-aging free radicals. They encourage the skin to heal and remodel while also smoothening fine lines and wrinkles.
7 Face Serums To Boost Skin Elasticity
1. Biotique’s Bio Dandelion Visibly Ageless Serum
Banish your wrinkles with this super-affordable face serum. It’s a combination of pure dandelion (rich in vitamin E) and minerals with nutmeg oil. If used regularly, this serum can help brighten skin and reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
Price: Rs 161
2. Olay’s Total Effects 7-In-One Anti-Ageing Serum
This serum fights 7 signs of ageing in order to give you soft, supple, and youthful-looking skin. It provides intense moisturisation to keep your skin hydrated, which results in reduced fine lines and fewer wrinkles. Use the serum regularly for an even-toned complexion that is blemish-free.
Price: Rs 829
Wondering how Korean drama actors and K-pop stars manage to look so young with healthy, glowing skin? Here’s a beginner’s routine for those who want to try K-beauty—the hottest new routine in skincare.
3. Wow Skin Science’s Retinol Face Serum
This serum has retinol (vitamin A) as a natural exfoliator which also means that it improves skin cell turnover. It helps to hydrate and repair the skin by boosting collagen and minimising fine lines. It also has vitamins like E and B3, making it the perfect serum to add to your anti-ageing routine.
Price: Rs 599
4. MamaEarth’s Skin Correct Face Serum With Niacinamide & Ginger Extract
This serum from Mamaearth addresses skin conditions like acne marks and scars with its unique formulation. The combination of the ingredients present in this serum minimises enlarged pores and improves the overall skin texture. If you want acne-free and clear skin, then this serum is your best bet.
Price: Rs 599
5. Bellissimo Creazione’s Aloe Vera Skin Serum
A clean beauty brand focused on sustainability, Bellissimo Creazione’s aloe vera skin serum is super-hydrating. It has a cooling and tightening effect on the skin which you will be able to feel almost instantly after applying the serum. It is also anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory, making the serum a good pick if you have sensitive skin.
Price: Rs 600
6. L’Oreal Paris’ Revitalift 1.5% Hyaluronic Acid Serum
Hyaluronic acid is an ingredient that keeps your skin tissues moist and well-lubricated. Think of it as a water bomb for your skin. L’Oreal’s Revitalift serum with Hyaluronic Acid works best if you create a moisture sandwich—apply the serum, then apply a moisturiser, and then finish with face oil.
Price: Rs 499
7. The Moms Co. Natural Vita Rich Face Serum
With vitamins like C, B3, B5, and E, this serum penetrates deep into the skin to hydrate fine lines and reduce pigmentation. With extracts from the Kakadu Plum, there is no doubt that this serum will give you all the vitamin C your skin needs.
Price: Rs 595
Get answers to all your questions about ‘Vitamin C’ here!
How You Can Layer Your Skincare Products Correctly
- Go from light to heavy when it comes to texture.
- Cleanse the face first to remove any oil, dirt, grime or makeup.
- Start with a toner (optional) and then go in with a light serum (containing vitamin C and Hyaluronic Acid) which is powered with antioxidants and nutrients for the skin.
- Post this, a spot treatment cream can be applied for some targeted therapy which can be on acne, blemishes, or any other problem one is facing.
- Next, use your under eye cream or under eye serum
- Finish your skincare routine with a moisturiser for your skin type.
- Add sunscreen as a last step in the mornings and day time, even if it isn’t particularly sunny.
Here is how you can layer your skincare correctly, straight from a dermatologist.
- A good serum can improve the quality of skin over time if used regularly
- Read up about the ingredients your skin needs and opt for a serum that contains those
- You can use a face serum both in the morning and night, depending on which serum you are using
- Serums are lighter than moisturisers but more effective so they won’t make your skin oily