I’m sure you know that Navratri means Nine Nights and that it’s a ten-day festival for Goddess Durga, involving fasts and prayers. But did you know that every day is associated with a different avatar of Durga Maa?
What everybody loves about Navratri is Garba and Dandiya – the iconic dances everybody loves to do, during these ten days, dressed in their best traditional attires. In Garba, you go around in a circle to symbolise the cycle of life and the continuity of the universe, and in Dandiya, the dancing with the sticks portrays the fight between Durga and the demon king Mahishasura.
For this Navratri to look and feel your best, we have for you Indo Western Garba outfit ideas, along with many Garba hairstyles!
6 Gorgeous Garba Outfit Ideas And Styling Tips That You Can Bookmark Right Away
Here are some Dandiya dress ideas for you:
1. THE CLASSIC LOOK
Start the festive season with a classic Chaniya Choli, in red and black. Enjoy the flair of your outfit as you turn around in circles.
To match the outfit, pair your choli with oxidised jewellery for a classic look. Go all out with a matha patti/borla headpiece, many kadas on your hands and a kamarbandh too.
Let’s go iconic with a classic and cute hairstyle
- Part your hair in the middle and brush it out.
- Make a low bun at the nape of your neck. It should be neat, but not tight.
- You can add pearl hairpins or any other tiny accessories if you want.
- These types of Garba hairstyles will look amazing with your jewellery, and more importantly, not get in the way of your dancing!
Let’s go bold
- Apply a classic red lipstick, but don’t overline (we love MAC’s Ruby Woo).
- Emphasize your eyes with a thick layer of kajal, and black eyeliner is optional.
- Don’t forget a bindi for an iconic garba makeup look!
2. THE GEN-Z LOOK
For this dandiya outfit idea, pair a classic colourful lehenga with a black crop top.
Layer 2 choker necklaces and jhumkas that match your lehenga. Grab a kada and a few rings too.
The best part about this look is that any hairstyle will match!
- Let your hair down, brush it well, and curl the ends for a romantic look. Middle or side parting – both work!
- Or for a different look, just brush your hair well and tie it up in a messy boho bun. The more messy and random the better (but it should still look good, obviously).
For this look, a perfect mix of subtle yet glam
- Star with a subtle and light shade for your lips.
- Go dramatic with your eyes, and use glitter eyeshadow that matches your lehenga.
- On top of the eyeshadow, draw a sharp black winger liner to accentuate the look.
- There you have, a pretty garba makeup look.
3. THE INDO-WESTERN LOOK
Grab your trusted old blue jeans for this one! Pair it with a white crop top and then style it with a desi jacket/ethnic shrug.
Go bling on your jewellery with a statement traditional garba belt, looped through your jeans, and grab a Maang Tika for your hair.
Let’s go with one of the best Garba hairstyles for this one!
- Part your hair in the middle and brush it well.
- Curl your hair, and then brush through it to get loose, beachy waves!
- Carefully wear your maang tika right in the middle of the parting, and keep it in place with bobby pins!
Let’s go with another mix of subtle yet glam
- Apply light pink glitter eyeshadow, but no eyeliner.
- Use brown kajal to line your eyes, and don’t forget to use tons of mascara for this Dandiya makeup look.
- For your lips, you can go simple and subtle with a classic pink lip.
4. THE AUTHENTIC LOOK
For another classic outfit, put on a kedia with matching dhoti pants.
Dazzle in this outfit with many rings stacked together and skip anything on the neck for heavy jhumkas instead.
Let’s go with a slightly Indian look for this one.
- Brush your hair and then straighten it.
- Take a little bit of hair from the sides of your head, above your ear, and pull it back with a tiny claw clip.
- Pull out some strands in the front and style them to frame your face.
A simple and sweet dandiya makeup look for this one: a no-makeup look
- After moisturising apply concealer and compact but no thick foundation.
- Line your eyes with brown kajal, and use just a little bit of natural pink eyeshadow
- For your lips, use a normal chapstick or a tinted balm, and apply a natural-looking layer of blush.
5: THE GUJRATI LOOK
Style a cropped blouse with either a plain or heavy ghagra, and pair it with juttis.
Opt for a traditional choker with jhumkas.
- Tie your hair in a loose ponytail at the nape of your neck and braid it.
- Circle the braid around the start, and make a bun. Secure it with bobby pins.
- You can optionally use pins or flowers in the bun for extra oomph.
- For your eyes, try out brown smoky eyes, using brown and black eyeshadow
- You can even apply a little bit of golden to the middle of your eye and blend it well.
- Using a liquid liner, apply 3 dots on your chin and near your eye in a triangle shape, for an iconic garba makeup look.
6. THE MODERN LOOK
For this Indo-Western look, you’ll have to mix and match a little. Pair a sleeveless blouse or a sleeveless crop top or even a fancy bralette with dhoti style pants, palazzos, or a long skirt. Wear a floor-length shrug on top of this.
If you have short hair, go for statement earrings, and if your hair is on the longer side opt for a statement neckpiece.
Go for a casual hairstyle for this one.
- Brush your hair and make a side parting.
- Make proper curls in your hair, and arrange it well.
- If you have short hair, you can use accessories like bejewelled barrettes on one side of the head.
- For long hair, a small claw clip or a barrette in the back.
A funky look would be the best for this
- Apply light silverish eyeshadow as a base and use colourful liners that match your outfit.
- Line your button lashline with a brown kajal.
- For your lips, since your eyes are funky, use nude shades that match your skin tone.
- And there you have it – a cool Dandiya makeup look.
6 Additional Styling Tips To Achieve That Perfect Garba Look
Here are some additional styling tips to elevate your Garba and Dandiya outfit ideas during Navaratri:
1. Fabric Choice:
For these dandiya dress ideas, opt for lightweight and breathable fabrics like cotton, chiffon, georgette, or silk. These fabrics allow for ease of movement and keep you comfortable while dancing.
2. Vibrant Colors:
Embrace vibrant and festive colours like red, royal blue, emerald green, mustard yellow, and hot pink. These colours stand out in the crowd and exude a festive vibe.
3. Traditional Embroidery:
Choose Indo-western outfits with traditional embroidery such as mirror work, thread work, zari, or sequins to add a touch of glamour.
4. Dupatta Styling:
How you drape your dupatta can significantly impact your overall look. For these garba lehenga ideas, try the Gujarati style, pleating it and placing it on one shoulder, or opt for a more contemporary style like a side drape or a draped cape.
Wear comfortable ethnic footwear like juttis, mojris, or kolhapuri sandals. These shoes not only complement your outfit but also provide ease of movement while dancing.
6. Clutch or Potli Bag:
To complete these Garba look ideas, carry a small embellished clutch or a potli that matches your outfit. It’s practical for storing essentials and adds a finishing touch to your look.
Easily express yourself this Navaratri with these wonderful Garba outfit ideas and garba hairstyles. From classic Chaniya Cholis to contemporary combinations like crop tops with dhoti pants, these looks celebrate the fusion of tradition and style. Hope you enjoyed these Dandiya outfit ideas. So, dance with zeal, dressed in these exquisite outfits, and let the rhythm of Navratri festivities fill your heart with joy and celebration!
Open up like never before and participate in conversations about beauty, entrepreneurship, mental health, menstrual & sexual health, and more. Desi women, join our community NOW!