The autumn-winter season may make your hair excessively dry and frizzy, as a result of which you may experience split ends, hair fall, dandruff, itchy scalp and whatnot. So, your hair needs some extra care to get protection from this dry season. And a homemade hair mask would be your hair saviour. Why buy expensive products when you can make your own DIY masks by using your kitchen ingredients? Try these now because even your mom will approve of them!
25 Tried & Tested Hair Masks For The Dry Season
1. Egg Yolk & Olive Oil Hair Mask
Your hair needs protein to become healthy and as egg yolk is full of protein, this hair mask can revive your dry and dull hair. It will strengthen as well as soften your hair. An ideal mask for hair loss, you can try it once a week for good results.
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup water
- Mix egg yolk and olive oil in a bowl.
- Add half a cup of water and mix it.
- Apply it evenly throughout your scalp and hair.
- Keep it for 20 mins and rinse with water and mild shampoo.
2. Banana & Honey Hair Mask
This homemade hair mask for dry hair has the goodness of eggs, banana, and honey—all in one. While the egg will provide protein, banana and honey will moisturise your hair well. What’s more, the hair mask is really easy to make.
- 1 egg
- 1 mashed banana
- 3 tablespoons of milk
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- Take a bowl and mix all the ingredients mentioned above – remember, it should all be blended well.
- Apply this mixture onto your scalp and all over your hair.
- Keep the hair mask on for about 45 minutes and then rinse it properly with a mild shampoo.
- Voila! You have the recipe for one of the best hair masks for dry hair.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar & Green Tea Mask
Apple cider vinegar and green tea are great antioxidants that help promote hair growth.
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of cooled down green tea
- Mix both of them.
- Post your hair wash; pour this mixture over your hair. Rub it from root to tip and leave it in.
- Towel dry and gently comb through.
4. Avocado & Yoghurt Hair Mask
Yoghurt is an excellent ingredient for hair as it conditions the hair and makes your hair smooth and soft. When mixed with avocado helps to repair damaged and dry hair. Honey and olive oil as additional ingredients provide nourishment to your hair.
- One cup of yoghurt
- Half medium-sized avocado
- Two tablespoons of olive oil
- One tablespoon of honey
- Shower cap
- Mash the avocado in a bowl until it lumps free then add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Apply the mixture on the hair and scalp and put on a shower cap.
- Leave it for 20 minutes.
- Wash the hair with cool and mild shampoo and let it air dry.
- Apply the mask once a week.
5. Pumpkin & Coconut Oil Hair Mask
This fall, try a simple two-ingredient hair mask that is rich in vitamins and helps in increasing the moisture in the hair and retaining it.
- 1/4th of a pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Take 1/4th of a pumpkin, and cut it into pieces and make a puree.
- Add two tablespoons of coconut oil to this, and mix well.
- Apply this mask to your hair, and let it stay for 20 minutes before washing it off.
6. Aloe Vera Hair Mask
Aloe vera is one of the best ingredients for moisturizing. In combination with a carrier oil, it forms a protective layer over your cuticle that minimizes moisture loss, giving you hair that is soft, smooth, and shiny. You can use this mask up to twice a week.
- 1/4 cup of aloe vera gel
- 1/4 cup of carrier oil
- Combine the aloe gel with a carrier oil of your choice.
- Apply the mixture to your scalp and through the length of your hair.
- Leave it in for 20-30 minutes and then wash off with shampoo and condition.
7. Curry Leaves Hair Pack
If you are dealing with frizzy, dry hair or an irritated scalp, your best bet to heal them is a curry leaves and yoghurt hair mask. While the curry leaves have a healing and protecting effect on the scalp, the yoghurt (dahi) proteins will nourish and moisturise the hair.
- 15-20 fresh curry leaves (kadipatta)
- 3 tablespoons of yoghurt (dahi)
- Soak the leaves in water and then crush them. You can do this in a mortar pestle or a blender.
- Mix the paste with yoghurt (dahi) evenly.
- Apply this thick paste to your scalp and massage it gently.
- Leave it on for 20-25 minutes and then wash with a mild shampoo. Use this mask once a week.
8. Egg & Mayonnaise Mask
Although an unusual one, this is an effective remedy to quench thirsty, dry and frizzy hair. Mayonnaise has a high-fat content that acts as a hydrating agent.
- ¼ cup of mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup of a conditioning oil, like almond
- 1 or 2 raw eggs (depending on hair length)
- Make a smooth paste with these ingredients and apply it to the scalp and hair.
- Cover your head with a shower cap.
- Leave it on for 30-40 minutes. Then wash and condition.
9. Lemon & Egg Hair Mask
An egg is rich in vitamins, it makes your hair more repellent to damage making your roots stronger each time you apply a hair mask. It also reduces breakage and diminishes the chances of split hair while improving your hair texture at the same time.
- 1 egg
- Use the egg white for your mask.
- Squeeze half a lemon into the egg white.
- Mix them to get a smooth consistency.
- Apply to damp hair from top to bottom.
- Tie hair up and cover with a shower cap.
- Let this mask sit for 30-45 minutes and rinse with shampoo and conditioner.
10. Fenugreek & Curd Hair Pack
Using curd for dandruff and dry hair is the best homemade remedy to get rid of repeated dry flaky dandruff forever. Curd helps curb stubborn dandruff and methi is a natural cleanser.
- 1 cup of curd (dahi)
- 5 teaspoon of fenugreek seed powder (methi)
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Take a brush and apply the pack to your hair.
- Post application; cover your hair with a shower cap.
- Now, leave it on for about 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair with a mild herbal shampoo.
- Use this hair pack twice a week for a month and experience the difference.
11. Banana & Curd (Dahi) Hair Pack
Worried about dull, dry, and frizzy hair? Curb out frizziness with the goodness of banana and curd. Give your mane a brilliant shine by using curd for hair and also helps to rejuvenate from within. The benefits of curd are just not restricted to hair, in fact, using curd for skin helps in treating acne, skin discolouration, tanning and even pigmentation.
- 1 banana
- 2 teaspoons of curd (dahi)
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Blend all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Apply the curd hair pack to damp hair from the roots to the tips.
- Once the pack is applied, tie up your hair and cover it with a shower cap.
- Leave it on for about 40 minutes and wash it off with a shampoo and conditioner.
- Post mask, try a serum to tame your ends and keep them looking hydrated yet bouncy.
12. Ghee, Lemon & Almond Oil Hair Mask
Lemons are known for their antimicrobial properties. Combine this with the goodness of ghee and almond oil to make a potent hair mask.
- Almond oil (as per your hair length)
- 2-3 tablespoons of ghee
- ½ of a lemon’s juice
- Prepare a mask with all three ingredients by mixing them well.
- Massage it on your scalp regularly in order to get rid of dry, itchy, and flaky scalp.
- Wash it off with rose water after keeping it for about 20 minutes.
13. Amla, Reetha & Shikakai Powder Hair Pack
The high iron and carotene content in amla makes it the perfect ingredient for promoting hair growth. Moreover, it also contains essential fatty acids, which can make your tresses voluminous and smooth. Reetha and Shikakai are two other time-tested ingredients that nourish hair follicles and strengthen the hair.
- 2 teaspoons of amla powder
- 2 teaspoons of reetha powder
- 2 teaspoons of shikakai powder
- Take all the ingredients in a bowl and add some water to make a paste.
- Make sure to mix the ingredients well.
- Apply the mixture along the strands of your hair. Let it sit for about 20 minutes.
- Wash your hair with lukewarm water.
14. Avocado, Honey & Olive Oil Hair Mask
Olive oil has some excellent nourishing and moisturizing properties. The oil is very light and it does not weigh hair down. It makes the hair soft in just one use and also encourages hair growth. On the other hand, Honey is a lotion. It locks the moisture of the hair and seals the water. It is a holy ingredient for dry and damaged hair.
- 1 ripe medium-sized avocado
- 2 tablespoons of raw honey
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 to 3 drops of lavender essential oil (optional)
- Shower cap
- Blow dryer
- Put all the ingredients into a food processor and process till you get a smooth mixture and lumps free.
- Apply the mixture on your hair and scalp, don’t forget the tips of your hair. And cover your hair with a shower cap.
- Once you have put the shower cap on, apply heat through a blow dryer for 15 minutes or you can sit in the sun for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Wash your hair with cool water and mild shampoo and let it air dry.
- Apply the mask once a week.
15. Egg & Coconut Oil Hair Mask
Coconut hair oil is quite famous because it helps with thick hair and nourishment. It can also induce life in dry hair and is a great solution for split ends. This hair mask is for all of you with dry and thin hair. Use it at least once a week to notice a difference.
- 2 egg whites
- 4 tablespoons of coconut oil
- In a bowl mix both the ingredients properly.
- Gently apply to your hair and scalp.
- Wash it off with mild shampoo and hot water.
- Don’t use a conditioner after that.
- Rinse well and say hello to smooth hair.
16. Almond Oil & Egg Mask
Masking with ingredients that condition deeply will prove to be a boon for your hair. Almond (badam) oil is a softener while egg proteins repair damage in the hair. So a weekly mask with these two greatly helps your frizzy locks.
- ¼ cup of almond oil
- 1 egg
- Mix both the ingredients well.
- Apply it evenly throughout your hair and scalp.
- Leave it on for 40 minutes before shampooing.
Find here 10 almond oil DIY recipes with amazing hair care benefits.
17. Lemon & Honey Mask
The mask removes dirt and grime from the hair shaft which improves cuticle health, reducing frizz. The rich vitamin C content also helps boost hair growth. The bleaching agents can give you some natural and subtle highlights. Use this hair mask once every two weeks. Ensure that you use other conditioning hair masks during the rest of the week.
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 cup of water
- Combine all the ingredients and pour them through freshly washed hair.
- Massage your scalp for a couple of minutes and then let the mixture sit for an additional 10 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and shampoo.
18. Onion & Aloe Vera Hair Pack
Say goodbye to a flakey and itchy scalp with this hair pack of aloe vera for dandruff. Onion juice is an excellent hair growth ingredient that stimulates your scalp. It boosts hair growth and this pack with aloe vera for dandruff will give you a healthy scalp and shiny hair!
- 1 cup of onion juice
- 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel
- To extract onion juice, blend 3-4 large onions to a puree in a blender. Make sure to strain it with a cheesecloth.
- Add the aloe vera gel to the juice and mix well.
- Massage this hair pack into your scalp and hair thoroughly.
- Leave it on for about an hour.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo and finish with conditioner.
19. Amla & Tulsi Hair Mask
Loaded with vitamin C, antibacterial properties and anti-inflammatory properties, amla can help treat seasonal hair dryness. It also offers relief from itchiness and scalp irritation by cleansing the scalp and restoring its optimum pH levels. Tulsi is effective in controlling fungal strains that may lead to dandruff. This pack will make your hair smooth and shiny.
- Amla powder
- 8-10 tulsi leaves (holy basil)
- Take a sufficient amount of amla powder and add water to it to make a paste.
- Grind the tulsi leaves into this mixture.
- Apply this amla powder hair pack to your scalp.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes before washing it off using a mild shampoo.
- Follow up with a conditioner for best results.
20. Mayonnaise & Coffee Hair Mask
While this is another form of hair mask, its results are different from the others. Mayonnaise helps regain the texture of the hair and hence leads to a better shine. Also, it strengthens the roots and even treats split ends.
- 1 tablespoon of coffee powder
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon glycerin
- Stir together all the ingredients well to create a paste-like consistency.
- Once the paste is formed, apply this to wet hair starting with the roots going all the way to the ends.
- After 40-45 minutes, you can wash this out.
- This treatment is suggested to be done at least twice a month for great results.
21. Castor Oil & Dahi Hair Pack
When you use curd for hair, it not only moisturizes and conditions your hair but also helps to free it off from split ends. Feel your hair get a gorgeous lustre with a curd hair mask.
- 4 tablespoons of curd (dahi)
- 2 tablespoons of castor oil
- 1 tablespoon of cream
- Mix these power pack ingredients in a bowl.
- Apply the hair pack to the roots of your hair.
- Leave it on for about 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Use this amazing hair mask once a week for better results.
22. Coconut Oil & Curry Leaves Hair Pack
Curry leaves and coconut oil is a hair care combo that all grandmothers swear by. Both these ingredients have been used traditionally to condition and moisturise hair while boosting its growth.
- Coconut oil (as needed for your length of hair)
- 15-20 curry leaves
- Warm up the coconut oil in a double-boiler (don’t boil it as it will lose its nutrients).
- Once it is hot, add in the curry leaves and let them infuse for 15-20 minutes.
- Strain out the mixture and you will have curry leaves hair oil that you can use daily or for weekly hair massages.
- When it is lukewarm, gently massage the oil all over your scalp. Also, cover the tips of your hair for moisturisation.
- This infused curry leaves hair oil is also beneficial to control hair fall as it strengthens and heals the roots. Keep it on for 1 hour before shampooing.
23. Coffee, Lemon & Yoghurt Hair Mask
Coffee, lemon, and yoghurt used together to create a mask can give some amazing non-frizzy hair that is nice and bouncy. Yoghurt (curd or dahi) does the job of deep conditioning and lemon and coffee clean and exfoliates your scalp.
- 1 tablespoon of finely ground coffee
- One cup of plain yoghurt (dahi)
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Mix all the ingredients well in a bowl.
- Stir well and apply the mask to your hair.
- After about a good 30-40 minutes rest, rinse off your hair and flaunt your gorgeous locks.
24. Neem & Coconut Oil Hair Mask
This homemade hair mask for dandruff has its roots in Ayurveda! Neem leaves are known for their purifying properties and work well as antifungal and antiseptic agents. With regular use of this pack, you are sure to get dandruff-free hair in no time!
- 10-20 neem leaves
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- In a grinder, put the neem leaves and coconut oil.
- Put the mixture in a bowl and then apply it to your scalp.
- Leave it on for about 15-20 minutes before you wash it off with water.
25. Strawberries, Egg Yolk & Olive Oil Hair Mask
The antioxidants in strawberries will help in adding moisture and the egg yolk will strengthen the hair.
- 1 cup of strawberries
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Start by crushing the strawberries and making a paste or juice out of them.
- Take the yolk of the egg and make sure no portion of the whites of the egg is added.
- Mix the strawberry paste and egg yolk till it forms a thick mask.
- A little olive oil can be added to the blend to make it easier to wash off.
- Work into your hair, cover with a plastic shower cap.
- Leave it for 20-30 minutes and wash.
Also, find here 5 DIY recipes to strengthen your hair.
Tips To Keep Your Hair Healthy
- Try to shampoo only once or twice a week to keep your hair moisturized
- Take showers with warm to lukewarm water and keep them short
- Do not skip the conditioner
- Allow your hair to air dry as much as possible, and give straightens and curling irons a little break and keep up with your haircuts
- Stay hydrated and keep up with your vitamin C and other nutrients’ requirements
- If you have a dry scalp, oil your hair half an hour before washing
- Do not go outside with wet hair
There you have it! 25 recipes to keep your hair tame as you go about your day and to give your locks a smoother look. Try out these home remedies for dry hair and tell us about your experience in the comments section below.