It truly is a nightmare when you have to leave for work or attend an event, and your frizzy hair refuses to cooperate. Add to this the humidity of the monsoons or the scorching summer heat, and you have yourself an untameable frizzy mane. Even if you have long, thick hair, frizz makes it look dry and dehydrated. It also becomes more prone to breakage. Then your styling options get limited to putting it in a bun and calling it a day. But if you are dealing with frizzy hair, you need not get disheartened. Here are some tips and products that will help you understand and treat your frizzy hair effectively!
Major Causes OF Frizzy Hair
Putting in products or plenty of time trying to style your frizzy hair will not be enough to deal with the issue if you do not understand the underlying reason first. Here are some of the causes that could lead to dry and frizzy hair:
- Dryness: When your hair or scalp is dehydrated, it can end up looking rough and frizzy. Frizzy hair sticks out because it is dry and tries to absorb moisture from its surroundings. But to treat this dryness, you need to understand what is causing it. Over-shampooing, using shampoos with dehydrating ingredients (like detergents, sulphates), or not using a moisturizing conditioner can all lead to frizz. Styling products with alcohol or heat styling can worsen the situation.
- Weather: Some hair is more prone to frizz during humid weather while hair is generally frizzy during the summer months.
- Applying Products on Dry Hair: Anti-frizz products work best when applied on wet or damp hair. If you wait too long after the shower and your hair dries out, the products won’t do much to help the frizz. In fact, the products can then make your hair look flat and lifeless.
- Hot Shower: While a hot shower feels super relaxing after a long day, it is not so good for your hair. The temperature is too high and dehydrates the hair, which ends up looking frizzy. So switch to milder water for your hair to avoid the dehydrating effect.
- Friction: Towel-drying your hair by vigorously rubbing it, rough cotton pillowcases, and aggressively tying up or opening your hair can all lead to frizz due to friction. Forcefully shaking hair while it’s wet also leads to frizz.
- No Hair Care Routine: Infrequent shampooing, not oiling or masking and skipping conditioner can all lead to a lack of nourishment to your hair leading to dryness and frizz.
- Diet: Just like your skin, your hair also faces the brunt of a bad, unbalanced diet. Not drinking enough water also shows up as dryness in your hair.
5 Home Remedies For Dry & Frizzy Hair
After pinpointing the cause of your frizzy hair, it is important to start a routine that addresses that specific concern. Here are some dry frizzy hair treatment home remedies to include in your routine that will moisturise, condition and tame unruly hair:
1. Almond Oil & Egg Mask For Frizzy Hair
Masking with ingredients that condition deeply will prove to be a boon for your hair. Almond (badam) oil is a softener while egg proteins repair damage in the hair. So a weekly mask with these two greatly helps your frizzy locks.
You Will Need:
- ¼ cup of almond oil
- 1 egg
- Mix both the ingredients well.
- Apply it evenly throughout your hair and scalp.
- Leave it on for 40 minutes before shampooing.
2. Coconut Oil With Vitamin E For Frizzy Ends
All of our dadis and nanis have sworn that coconut oil is the holy grail of hair care. And rightly so! It is a conditioning and nourishing oil, and deep massaging with it once or twice a week can really uplift dry hair. Vitamin E can add a boost of conditioning while protecting hair from free radicals.
You Will Need:
- 4 parts of coconut oil
- 1 part Vitamin E (in the form of Vitamin E oil or you can empty some Vitamin E capsules)
- Mix the oil and Vitamin E.
- Massage it onto your scalp and hair.
- Let it sit for 40 minutes before washing.
3. Frizz-Control Mayonnaise Mask
Although an unusual one, this is an effective remedy to quench thirsty, dry and frizzy hair. Mayonnaise has a high-fat content that acts as a hydrating agent.
You Will Need:
- ¼ cup of mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup of a conditioning oil, like almond
- 1 or 2 raw eggs (depending on hair length)
- Make a smooth paste of these ingredients and apply to scalp and hair
- Cover your head with a shower cap
- Leave it on for 30-40 minutes. Then wash and condition
4. Honey & Dahi Hair Mask To Tame Frizz
While honey is an excellent humectant, curd (dahi) helps to deep condition the dry hair.
You Will Need:
- 1 cup of dahi
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- Mix the dahi and honey evenly.
- Apply the mixture like a mask to your hair and scalp.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes before washing.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar Hair Mask
When the hair’s pH balance is thrown off and it becomes more alkaline than it should be, apple cider vinegar can help restore it. It is mildly acidic and counters the effect of imbalanced pH. This tames the frizz that makes hair look rough.
You Will Need:
- ⅓ cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of water
- Pour this mixture onto your hair while shampooing and leave it on for 3 minutes.
- Then rinse it off with plain water.
- Repeat it twice a week.
Anti-Frizz Hair Products
You can pair home remedies for dry and frizzy hair with efficient anti-frizz products to create a wholesome hair-care plan that will nourish your dehydrated locks and pour life back into them.
The best shampoo for frizzy hair is one which has humectants, i.e. hydrating ingredients like glycerin, almond, honey, aloe vera. Here are some that are gentle on the hair and help control frizz:
- Matrix Biolage Ultra Hydrating Shampoo: The hydrating component in this product is algae extract that especially helps with the manageability of frizzy hair.
- Forest Essentials Japapatti and Brahmi Hair Cleanser: This is the best shampoo for frizzy hair in the premium range. The brahmi and japapatti extracts are traditional Indian ingredients, known to be hydrating and nourishing. Regular use will rejuvenate the scalp, improve hair texture and also prevent premature greying.
Always follow-up your shampoo with a moisturising conditioner. Use it liberally along the lengths of your hair, with special attention towards the tips. Avoid the scalp as conditioner residue can catch dirt and make the scalp oily.
- The Body Shop Banana Truly Nourishing Conditioner: Body Shop is known for its ethical and effective formulations. Banana is known for its conditioning properties and this conditioner contains real banana puree which is sure to tame down a frizzy mane.
- Matrix Opti Care Smoothing Straight Conditioner With Shea Butter: This is another excellent product from Matrix and is meant specially for straight to wavy hair that needs frizz control. It detangles, moisturises and smoothens hair, giving it a sleek finish post-wash.
Serums For Frizzy Hair:
A good serum is essential to tame frizzy hair as it coats the hair with a protective layer. This makes the hair shiny, hydrates it and protects it from humidity. Look for a serum that is light so that it doesn’t flatten your hair or make it look oily while taming frizz.
- Schwarzkopf Professional Bonacure Peptide Repair Rescue Nutri-Shield Serum: This serum has the dual benefit of not just protection from elements and weather on the daily, but also heat protection when you are styling your hair. It improves manageability of hair and the peptides provide a healthy shine to the hair.
- Streax Professional Vitariche Gloss Hair Serum: This one is a highly recommended one in the affordable category and promises to tame frizzy hair. It has Vitamin E, which is an effective hydrating and protecting ingredient. It has a light, non-oily texture and even a little bit of the product goes a long way.
Leave-In Conditioners For Frizzy Hair:
This product is meant to elongate the moisturising effect of a conditioner. You do not have to wash it off after applying it, so it stays on in your hair protecting it from dryness and damage.
- Palmer’s Coconut Oil Formula Leave-In Conditioner: An instant detangler, this one has the conditioning goodness of coconut. Spray it into your washed hair to get knot-free, smooth hair. It has several emollients (conditioning and smoothening ingredients) like aloe, panthenol and silk proteins.
- Kiehl’s Damage Repairing & Rehydrating Leave-In Treatment: This product by Kiehl’s promises to work on the weakest of hair and strengthen it. It smoothes frizzy hair effectively as it has excellent humectants like moringa oil, hyaluronic acid and ceramides. It also repairs hair by fortifying hair fibres to improve manageability in the long run.
Frizz-Control Hair Masks:
Hair masks are an essential step in the hair care routine for thirsty, dry hair. They provide intense moisturisation that calms the frizz and provide a healthy shine to the hair.
- Plum Olive & Macadamia Mega Moisturizing Hair Mask: This hair mask has moisturising agents to eliminate dryness as well as protective elements, like provitamin B5. The latter forms a film on the hair that makes it glossy like protecting it from losing moisture to the atmosphere. It is effective even on chemically-treated or coloured hair.
- L’Oreal Professionnel X-Tenso Care Masque: This mask is a salon-grade product that focuses on boosting keratin in hair, which gives it a healthy look. It strengthens hair so that its manageability and overall shine is improved.
Tips To Tame Your Frizzy Hair
Apart from incorporating frizzy hair products into your hair care routine, follow these tips to make sure your hair never faces another bad day:
- Silk Pillowcase: Invest in a silken pillowcase or satin pillowcase so that there is less friction while you sleep.
- Wrap Your Hair: Wrapping your hair in a satin scarf or wearing a bonnet while sleeping can considerably reduce frizz. This is especially advisable if you have curly hair.
- Soft Scrunchies: Swap rubber hair bands with those made from soft cloth. The latter are gentle on your hair when you tie or untie it. Also, always open the rolls of your hairband one by one instead of yanking it out. This will reduce friction and breakage.
- Weather: Alter your hair care routine to include more moisturisation when it starts getting frizzy due to the weather, like in the monsoon or during summers.
Frizzy hair need not be an unwelcome guest that you are forced to live with. With the right hair care, correct moisturisation, good anti-frizz products and a balanced diet, it is possible to not just manage but repair frizzy hair. While you are dealing with it, be patient and consistent with its treatment. Remember that they are no miracle ingredients. But persistent use can surely help you get your wild frizzy hair under control.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What should be my post-workout routine to avoid frizzy hair?
A: It is essential to clean out a sweaty scalp after workouts as it prevents it from dandruff and oiliness. However, shampooing every day is going to worsen the situation if you have frizzy hair. So:
- Alternate between plain water, shampoo+conditioner and only conditioner for your post-work hair washes
- Plan your hair washes according to your workout schedules to avoid over-shampooing
- Wear a cap during sports or a bandana during workouts to avoid drying your hair out
Q: What is the correct way to shampoo to avoid frizzy hair?
A: A good shampooing method can go a long way in taming frizzy hair. Here are some tips to help you out:
- Take a coin-sized amount of it and dilute it in approximately 1 cup of water, then use it to wash your hair
- Do not rub your hair aggressively while shampooing; gently move your fingers side to side along your scalp
- Avoid putting shampoo directly on your hair; let the product from your scalp run down your hair and clean them