Dry, frigid weather, constant use of styling tools and an unbalanced diet and lifestyle can all be the reason your hair feels dry, dull and lifeless. While your nani and dadi’s advice to oil it every single day isn’t half bad, it isn’t suitable for all hair types. So how do you keep your hair healthy, shiny, bouncy and hydrated without spending a ton on store-bought products? Here are some easy DIYs to maintain your lovely tresses and prevent them from turning dry, damaged, and coarse.
How To Keep Your Hair Moisturized?
Dryness, it is one of the features of natural hair. It happens because of the sebaceous (oil) glands presence on the scalp which helps release sebum, that acts as a scalp moisturizer. However, sometimes the natural system of moisturizing isn’t effective either because of genetics or your age. Sometimes it’s even the hair length and type which disrupts sebum that doesn’t allow the natural hair moisturizer to reach the hair timely. Apart from it all over styling/washing and treatments also form the important reasons for dry hair.
In such situations, a proper moisturizing routine is highly important (apart from knowing the hair type and the moisture level) as it helps to seal in the moisture in the hair strands which keeps the lustrous locks hydrated and maintained. It also prevents the hair from drying, and at the end of the day, you get flourishing hair.
Just with simple steps and proper moisturizing once (every two weeks), you can get intense and healthy hair. So, the question is why not use the best hair moisturizer and conditioner, that will act as a bliss? Simply follow the guide below and provide yourself with a proper confidence boost.
Common Causes Of Hair Dryness
Many factors play a large role in dry hair. It can be because of sebum lack, or due to the genetics, or the environment, age, type of hair, lifestyle factors, repeated use of heated tools like the curling iron or straightener which becomes an important reason for the weakening of hair and making the strands highly susceptible towards moisture loss and damage.
Apart from the above-mentioned factors, some major causes that make the dry hair include,
- Not enough production of oil, by the scalp
- Use of hair-styling tools including straighteners, curling iron and blow dryers
- Chemical treatments and hair colouring
- Overwashing or using Harsh shampoos
- Not providing proper conditioning to the hair regularly
- Exposing the hair to chlorine, saltwater, climate change
- Using combs and brushes of poor quality
Importance Of Moisturizing Hair
It is very important for moisturizing the head, timely. The reason behind is because of the natural moisture level of the hair, it changes with the change of seasons. Just as to say, during the winter season the hair might feel dry because of the cold air and indoor heaters, a lot of damage is caused. Well, this is where the use of hair moisturizer comes in. It will not Just provide lively feeling but will also give a soft and better hair.
5 DIY Hair Moisturizers
1. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is one hair moisturizer that prevents the loss of protein after every wash from the hair strands. This important property keeps the hair soft and supple. All you will need is virgin coconut oil and follow the four steps as mentioned below for one to two times a week.
How To Use It:
- On the hair and the scalp, apply the virgin coconut oil properly.
- For a couple of minutes, make sure to massage gently.
- Leave the hair for around 1 hour.
- Make sure to rinse the hair properly using a mild shampoo. Do not forget the conditioner.
2. Pumpkin Seed Oil & Honey
If you still don’t know how to moisturize scalp, Use this natural DIY. Honey acts as an excellent moisturizer and has also been used in the formulation of many such conditioners that are used on hair while the pumpkin seed oil, it helps prevent the hair fall. All you need is one tablespoon of pumpkin seed oil and two tablespoons of honey and coconut oil each. Use it one to two times a week and follow the steps to experience better results.
How To Use It:
- Mix the seed and coconut oil with the honey.
- Properly blend the mixture. Make sure to apply it on the wet hair.
- Leave the mixture for around 15 to 20 minutes before you go and rinse your hair with water and a mild cleanser.
- Make sure to use the conditioner as a follow-up.
3. Aloe Vera & Lavender
Photoprotective effects are exhibited by aloe vera which helps prevent hair damage while the Lavender oil promotes hair growth providing it with a pleasant smell. It acts as a scalp moisturizer. All you need is 1/4th cup of aloe vera gel, one cup of water and 2-3 drops of the Lavender oil. If you want to know how to moisturize hair using this solution, just make sure to have the right quantity and follow the steps once daily or as per the requirement.
How To Use It:
- Properly blend the gel with a cup of water.
- Make sure to add Lavender oil (2-3 drops) and mix it well.
- Simply transfer the mixture to the spray bottle.
- Spray the solution on the hair and the scalp.
4. Raw Egg & Olive Oil
Instead of spending on hair moisturizer cream, use olive oil which promotes hair growth and helps treat the dry and damaged hair. Along with the same use of raw eggs which are rich in proteins and fats making the same the best hair moisturizer – homemade. To make the solution you will require, a raw egg and olive oil two tablespoons.
If you want to know how to moisturize hair using this extract, follow the below-mentioned steps once or twice, every week.
- Blend the contents of egg and olive oil, well
- The mixture is to be applied on the hair and scalp
- Make sure to cover the head using a towel while you wait for 30 to 60 minutes
- The last step will include rinsing the hair using a mild cleanser and following it up with the conditioner
5. Banana & Olive Oil
A simple question exists in everyone’s mind of how to keep hair hydrated. However, you fail to notice the available contents at home. Banana and olive oil both of the same exhibit better most rising properties and keeps the hair hydrated while making it soft. All one would require is one right banana and Virgin olive oil 1 to 2 tablespoons and for the below-mentioned steps once a week.
How To Use It:
- Properly blend virgin olive oil and ripe banana.
- On the wet hair and the scalp, apply the mixture and leave it for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rinse the solution out of the hair.
TC46 Recommended Hair Moisturizers
If you are wondering how to keep hair moisturized using the market available hair moisturizers, the below mentioned will be helpful
1. Matrix Biolage Hydra-Crème Intense Moisture Masque
It has a blend of amino acids, algae, wheat germ oil, and some of the other ingredients which make the solution a complex blend. The moisturizer infuses intensely helps improve the damaged and dry hair. It also improves elasticity and makes the hair feel soft and manageable. The only concern here is that the results can be seen after multiple users.
2. L’Oreal Paris Hair Spa Deep Nourishing Cream Bath
For how to moisturize natural hair, this nourishing cream bath is well enriched with purified water and water lily that together works to provide proper nourishment to the hair. It also infuses well the hair strands and leaves it soft and shining. It is also helpful for reducing frizz.
3. St. Botanica Moroccan Argan Hair Mask
For the question of how to moisturize dry hair, this product is a perfect pampering for the same. It makes the hair smooth and healthy and has the unique blend of vitamin B5, E and argan oil along with other oils that not just help to repair but also strengthen the damaged hair. By all means, it is a perfect boost for hair growth and provides a pleasant fragrance.
Apart from the above three, the Wella professional SP Luxe oil keratin restore mask, L’oreal Paris total repair 5 Masque, and some of the other products are highly beneficial for the people who move around asking how to moisturize hair. Though the products can be a little expensive, they are very helpful for improving the conditions of dry hair and for providing lasting results for the day Orange the product specifies.
Dos And Don’ts Of Keeping Hair Moisturized
- Follow a well-balanced diet and provide essential nutrients to the body
- Make sure to condition the hair after shampoo
- Limit the use of chemical treatments and hairstyling
- Install to provide warm oil scalp massage
- Loose hairstyles can be used, and one can protect the hair by wearing hats, scarves in the sun
So, if you really want to know how to moisturize dry hair, the above mentioned will be helpful if followed constantly and in a better way.
- Steel comb is not to be used
- A poor quality comb is to be avoided, and one must not comb when the hair is wet
- For oily hair wash the hair daily and in case of dry hair, wash it twice a week
- Over-washing is to be avoided
- Make sure to not provide much exposure to hair with the changing climate by using proper conditioners
- To keep your hair moisturized, proper steps and conditioning are to be provided
- You will need to use at times non-natural conditioners if required but after proper research, the same should be bought
- Home treatments are very simple to follow. If you have all the ingredients, do not waste a minute and start today
Just with one treatment, dry hair can be improved. However, several tries might be required for seeing significant changes. If you want to maximize the results, a change of lifestyle will be highly helpful. In cases where you feel you are unable to deal with the situation on your own, consultation with the dermatologist for the advice will be highly helpful.