The beauty of your hands is enhanced with shining, beautifully-shaped nails. Weak and brittle nails could be a sign of ageing or nutritional deficiencies. These home remedies can help you learn how to make nails stronger. A complete skincare routine must include a regimen to care for your nails as well. If a regular manicure-pedicure routine is not possible due to a busy schedule, these hacks can be a good substitute to do at home.
What Causes Brittle Nails?
Brittle nails are a common problem for both women and men. There are many underlying reasons for dry, splitting, or peeling nails.
- Iron deficiency
- Overexposure to water
- Too much exposure to nail paint and removers
Say Goodbye To Brittle Nails With These 10 Home Remedies
1. Coconut Oil Mask
Warm a few teaspoons of coconut oil and gently massage it onto your nails. Coconut oil hydrates weak nails and provides moisture to heal them. Coconut oil also helps in treating nail infections and makes them stronger. Apply the oil at night and leave them overnight for maximum effectiveness of the treatment. You can replace coconut oil with any other oil like almond oil, jojoba oil, or argan oil.
2. Sea Salt Soak
Strengthen and soften your nails with an easy salt soak to not only treat your splitting nails but also bring a natural shine to them. In warm water add 2 tablespoons of sea salt and a few drops of essential oils like lemon or lavender. Soak your nails in the solution for 15 minutes and then pat dry. This is an effective home remedy for brittle toenails too. Apply a moisturiser or a foot cream after the soak and repeat this 2-3 times in a week for the best results.
To avoid nail splitting, keep your nails moisturised throughout the day. You can either apply hand cream or petroleum jelly. After applying cream at night, cover your hands with cotton gloves to lock in the moisture as they are important for brittle nails treatment.
4. Vitamin E Massage
Vitamin E is an essential component of our skin and hair that provides its youthful appearance and makes it strong and supple. If there is a lack of moisture in your nails, it will lead to nails splitting. Avoid this by massaging vitamin E into your nail cuticles for complete nourishment on a regular basis.
5. Lemon Juice Soak
One of the easiest ingredients to find at home is lemons. Lemon juice is a natural remedy for weak nails. Take a teaspoon of lemon juice and apply it thoroughly onto your nails and massage them for a few minutes before rinsing it off. This soak while repairing peeling nails will also remove any stains from the nails and give it a natural bright sheen. Another method is to add lemon juice to olive oil and massage the mixture onto the nail cuticles as the oil helps in faster absorption by the nails.
6. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a natural medicine for many skin problems in humans. As tree tea oil is extremely strong, always dilute it with either water or another oil like olive oil. Brittle nails treatment and discoloured nails can be remedied with a few drops of tea tree oil mixed with ½ tablespoon of olive oil and applied on the nails for 30 minutes. Wash your nails with lukewarm water and apply a moisturising lotion for a month daily.
7. Petroleum Jelly Rub
Petroleum jelly or vaseline is a multipurpose product that can treat various skin issues, especially during winters. Whether fingernails or brittle toenails applying petroleum jelly at night before bed will keep your nails hydrated and prevent them from peeling. If possible, cover your nails with gloves/socks to lock in the nourishment. Following this ritual for 1-2 months on a daily basis will make your nails stronger.
8. Aloe Vera Scrub
Aloe vera is a good source of hydration and is an effective answer on how to make nails stronger. Simply, cut a small piece of the aloe vera leaf and apply the gel onto your nails and massage them into your cuticles. After rinsing, apply lotion to keep your nails supple.
Tip: Just like with nails, aloe vera for hair is also extremely beneficial as it helps you add life to your dull hair.
9. Milk And Honey Soak
If you’re wondering how to grow strong nails naturally, one effective home remedy is milk and honey soak. When nails lack nutrients, that’s when they become weak and dry. Mix 2 tablespoons of milk with a tablespoon of honey and soak your nails for 15 minutes before cleaning it with warm water.
10. Tomato Juice
Tomatoes are rich in antioxidants and proteins that can help heal brittle nails. Simply add 2 drops of rosemary oil to 2 tablespoons of tomato juice and dip your nails in this mixture for 10 minutes before rinsing with water.
Important Tips To Prevent Nail Splitting
While these home remedies can help you deal with brittle nails, here are a few pointers to prevent your nails from splitting and learn how to grow nails faster and stronger.
- Avoid overexposure of your nails to water as frequent handwashing can weaken the nails
- Stop excessive use of nail polish removers as they can contain harmful chemicals that cause the nails to dry and break. Choose an acetone-based nail paint remover for better care of your nails
- Lack of nutrients can also cause damage to the nails. If you’re questioning how to grow strong nails, eat foods rich in vitamin B and omega 3 which are found in nuts, flaxseeds, eggs, dairy, and beans
- While doing the dishes and laundry, avoid hard detergents and soaps by wearing gloves to prevent brittle nails
- Smooth the rough edges of your nails using a nail file on a regular basis to prevent the chipping of the nails. While filing, always file in one direction as filing back and forth can weaken the nails
- Buffing your nails also help in rounding out sharp edges and can prevent chipping or peeling of nails
- Regular manicures and pedicures whether done at home or at a salon can prevent nail damage and provide moisture to the nails
- Fake nails and nail extensions should be avoided if you have brittle nails. Learn how to grow strong nails naturally rather than using fake nails as they are stuck to your real nails and the space in between them is a breeding ground for fungal infections
- Moisturise your nails regularly after washing your hands, or any other exposure to water. Keep your nails hydrated to prevent breakage
- Another method on how to grow nails faster and stronger is to take vitamin supplements. Vitamins are essential for maintaining healthy nails, skin, and hair. Taking multivitamins containing vitamin B and biotin can strengthen and fortify your nails and heal them from splitting
Brittle nails can be treated effectively at home using simple homemade ingredients and doing certain preventative actions. Follow the above techniques to make your nails strong and supple from within so that you can style them as you like. It is vital that we take special care of our nails just like how we pamper our skin. These home remedies with certain lifestyle changes will explain how to grow strong nails and give you natural and healthy nails.