Having healthy and strong nails is totally alag kind ka power. Don’t you feel so much put together and amazing after you’ve trimmed your nails? Don’t you feel you can take over the world once you’ve painted them beautiful and shiny?
And whether you paint your nails or not, taking care of your nails is worth the investment. Of money? Are nahi, you just need some time on your hands.
You don’t need to visit mehenge salons or buy pricy tools, just get better and healthier nails. One of the problems that could be preventing you from having your sapno ke nails could be yellow nails. And what could be causing yellow nails? Let’s see why.
3 Reasons That Cause Yellow Nails
There could be multiple reasons why your nails are yellow. Jaan ne ke liye, scroll down to see the list to #BeALittleMore proactive with your self-care routine.
1. Excessive Nail Polish
The use of nail polishes with dark pigment or gel-based nail polish, saath hi saath use of powerful acetone-based nail polish removers on a regular basis, can really hurt your nail plate and give them a pale yellow hue. You can also have brittle nails if you keep your nail polish on for too long. This is because the dyes in nail polish impact your nail keratin, causing brittleness.
2. Gel Nails
Gel nails make it possible for you to have long, natural-looking nails. Kya aap bhi aisa sochte hai? Think again. These are made of a hard gel that is strengthened after being exposed to UV or LED light. UV gel coatings that are used repeatedly or for an extended period of time might block your nails from breathing or getting natural light, limiting healthy growth and causing yellowing.
Read 15 Tips For Healthy, Stronger Nails
3. Nail Extensions
Artificial nails that are attached to your natural nails and painted over with nail art are referred to as nail extensions. The nail bed can be damaged if these artificial nails are left on for long periods of time or if they are not properly placed. Gel nails ki tarah, they prevent natural light and air from reaching the nails, increasing the risk of fungal infections and, as a result, yellowing.
6 Ways To Remove Yellow Nails At Home
Problem toh pata chal gaya, now what about the solution? You can treat your yellow nails at home using various home remedies. Here’s a list to help you out.
1. Nimbu For Nails
Lemon is a natural bleaching agent, which can therefore help whiten the nails. Hamare nimbu mein hai anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties that can fight off fungal infections, which cause nail discolouration in the first place.
How To Use It:
- Combine 1 tsp olive oil and 1 tsp honey in a small bowl and apply to your cuticles. After that, squeeze a lemon to get some fresh juice and apply it to your nails. To avoid brittleness, wash your nails with lukewarm water after 15 minutes.
- Alternatively, soak your nails for 10–15 minutes in diluted lemon juice before gently scrubbing them with a gentle toothbrush. Apply a moisturiser to your nails after rinsing them. This cure should be done twice a day. Instead of lemon juice, you can use lemon essential oil.
2. Hydrogen Peroxide Solution
Kyunki hydrogen peroxide is a cleaner as well as a whitening agent, it can be used to treat yellow nails. Hydrogen peroxide, which is commonly found in whitening toothpaste, can infiltrate your nails and work from within.
Tip: Make sure to use hydrogen peroxide with a concentration of no more than 3%.
How To Use It:
- Mix 3 tablespoons hydrogen peroxide, and 12 cups of lukewarm water for 15 minutes, and soak your hands in a weak hydrogen peroxide solution. Brush your nails gently with a toothbrush before washing them with lukewarm water.
- Mix 1 tsp hydrogen peroxide, 1 tbsp baking soda, and 125 mL boiling water can also be used. Dip your nails in the solution for 10 minutes once the powder has dissolved. Then wash your hands with soap and keep them moisturised.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar or ACV includes malic and acetic acids, which can help to lighten nail discolouration. ACV also works as an anti-fungal and anti-bacterial agent to protect your nails from infections that cause them to become yellow.
How To Use It:
- In a 1:1 ratio, dilute apple cider vinegar with warm water.
- Dip your hands in the solution for around 20 minutes before washing with cold water.
- Apply olive oil to your cuticles after drying your hands.
- Optimal results ke liye, repeat this routine twice a day.
4. Orange Peels For Nails
Orange peel mein bhare hai citric acid and vitamin C in abundance, which helps to remove spots and stains from the nails. Furthermore, the antioxidants in orange peel nourish your nails, making them stronger and healthier.
How To Use It:
- For around 10 minutes har din, rub a fresh orange peel on your nails.
- You can also mix orange peel powder with rose water to form a paste. Apply the paste to your nails, and scrub it off using a brush after 10 minutes.
Watch Tips To Grow Hair Long & Strong
5. Denture Clearance
The main ingredient in denture cleaners is diluted sodium hypochlorite, a moderate bleaching agent. Any hard surface, even your nails, can be cleaned with denture cleansers.
How To Use It:
- In a basin of warm water, dissolve 2–3 denture cleanser pills.
- Soak your nails for 5 minutes in the liquid.
- Hands should be washed in warm water and dried.
- Repeat this remedy every two weeks until you notice a difference.
6. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is an excellent antiseptic, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial agent that can be used to treat infection-related yellowing of the nails.
How To Use It:
- Apply tea tree oil to your nails using an eyedropper. Wait a few minutes before rinsing the oil away with lukewarm water. For best results, repeat this every day.
- Mix a few drops of tea tree oil with 1 tablespoon of nutritious oil like avocado, almond, jojoba, or olive oil. Massage your nails with this mixture. After a few minutes, rinse off the oil. Repeat the cure two more times a day until you notice a difference.
Unless or until you have an underlying medical condition, your yellow nails can be easily treated at home, with good tips just shared above about good nail care habits.
4 Additional Tips For Healthy Nails
Here are some points you need to remember and follow through on properly to get your picture-perfect mast nails.
- Keep your nails trimmed. Longer nails can trap dirt underneath, which can further harm your nails.
- Maintaining hygiene. Washing your hand and toenails on time and keeping them clean is a major part of nail health and growth.
- Wearing a clean base coat protects your nails from dark stained nail polishes and gel paints.
- Diet hai sabse zaroori! Your nail and hair both have a similar makeup, which is keratin. So it is highly advised you eat such foods as almonds, blueberries, eggs and fresh fruits to keep them healthy.
That’s all you need to know what causes yellow nails, how to prevent pigmentation and other tips to keep your nails healthy and strong. #BeALittleMore careful and nurturing towards your nails and your dream nails are not far away. Do you follow other nail care hacks that you don’t see here? Share them in the comments below.
Open up like never before and participate in conversations about beauty, entrepreneurship, mental health, menstrual & sexual health, and more. Desi women, join our community NOW!