’Tis the season to be jolly! The cool weather, desserts and the time to dress up in coats, jackets and boots is here. And so is the season to surprise your loved ones with gifts. Unlike Santa, however, our budgets are rather tight. So here’s your handy Christmas shopping guide that can help you stay true to your budget.
3 Tips For Your Christmas Shopping
1. Create A Budget
The first step to planning for a debt-free Christmas is to, well, have a plan. A Christmas budget helps you avoid overspending and credit card debt.
- Create a budget and chalk up an upper limit you have to spend keeping your savings in mind and making room for some last-minute expenses
- Jot down a list of loved ones you will be gifting this festive season; prioritise them from closest to distant family members
- Keep a part of your budget aside for unexpected expenses
- Divide your budget based on who is priority and how much to spend on one person
2. Stalk For Deals & Discounts
Online shopping comes with a major perk, sales! After Diwali, December brings along a ton of deals and discounts. Keep up with brands and e-commerce websites for their sales by subscribing to their newsletters. Sites like Grabon, Couponduniya and many more have great deals listed and extensions like Honey help you save even more money.
- Visit social media pages to keep up with sales
- Add items to your wishlist beforehand to avoid wasting time during checkout or risking things going out of stock
- Keep an eye out for giveaways, pop-up sales and festive combos
- Shop on unique websites that offer a variety of products at discounted prices
3. Shop On Trusted Sites
While budget might be the biggest priority for you, getting substandard products will ultimately put a damper on your holiday spirit. The key is to shop for brands and on sites that offer quality products at reasonable prices. And the best way to go about these is taking advantage of their Christmas or New Year’s Sale!
- The Channel 46 Pop-Up Sale – 14 to 20 December 2020
- Myntra Christmas Sale – 22 to 25 December 2020 – Up to 80% Off
- Amazon Christmas Sale 2020 – 22nd to 25th December 2020 – The best of Christmas offers for your Christmas Shopping
- Nykaa Year End Sale – 19th December -25th December 2020
Universally Loved Gift Items That Are Perfect For Christmas
1. Baked Goods
Cookies, cakes, cupcakes, macaroons and many more delicious treats can bring a smile to anyone’s face. This fail-safe gifting option is loved by people of all ages and there is something for everyone. From season-special apple, pecan pies and strawberry, blueberry tarts to classic chocolate cookies, you can pick and choose from a variety. And this is the chance to go #vocalforlocal by buying from your local brands and businesses.
Tip: Try brands like Get Baked, Chocohaul, and Little Miss Muffin available on social media or shop at your local sweet treats store.
2. Warm, Snuggly Items
A knit sweater, fluffy blanket, cute gloves and trendy sweatshirts—these make for great gifting options for men, women and kids too. Donning warm clothes or snuggling under a blanket during Christmas, sipping on hot chocolate is a gift in itself. So get your loved ones something cosy to wear this holiday season. A beanie for your niece or nephew, a bomber jacket for your spouse, sweatshirts for the dads of the family and pastel sweaters for the maa and maa-in-law are excellent choices.
Tip: H&M, Myntra, Bewakoof and Shopclues have great deals and a huge selection of winter wear.
3. Artisanal Food
Flowers are outdated but food bouquets aren’t! Gift your loved ones a hamper full of nut butters, locally brewed beers, variety of teas, seasonal fruit preserves, gourmet chocolates, mini-bottles of luxury liquor and so much more. With a variety of brands offering one-of-a-kind food products, you can pick and choose what to give to the foodie in your life. Find a local store or brand and get shopping for food that’ll make your loved ones happy.
Tip: Get your hands on artisanal spreads, dips, and preserves by Native Tongue, pickles and marmalades from Prana Superfoods, or gift hampers from your local specialty stores.
4. Memberships & Plans
Whether they’re an avid gym-goer, movie fan or art lover, memberships are a great way to encourage your loved ones to pursue their passions. Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney + Hotstar, JioCinema, Voot, Eros Now, ALTBalaji – the list is endless. Give your loved one the gift of freedom to watch and binge shows and movies of their choice. If you have a teenage/young adult relative, sign them up for an online class of their choice. If your bhabhi wants to learn cooking from renowned chefs, here is your chance to give her online sessions with the best.
Tip: With easy monthly EMIs and free trials, this option certainly won’t burn a hole in your pocket.
5. The Beauty Basket
There is nothing more precious and appreciated than some good ol’ pampering. Skincare hampers, bubble bath bundles, exquisite candles and a personalised bathrobe, these options are enough to make anyone’s mood instantly better. Give the gift of self-love and indulgence to make your family and friends feel special.
Tip: Get your hands on Kama Ayurveda’s gift boxes or Arezou products that are perfect for some much-needed pampering.
Easy Ways To Do Your Christmas Shopping On A Budget
- Leave your credit card at home and shop with cash.
- Don’t give in to the temptation to buy for yourself.
- Stick to your shopping list.
- Search for coupons and discounts in advance.
- Use extensions like Honey to find deals when shopping online.
- Use apps that let you earn cashback every time you shop online.
- Save on wrapping and get creative with recycling.
- Go DIY with your gifts for a personalised touch.