Your workout routine is incomplete without a few leg exercises at home to help shape and strengthen your lower body. Socho toh wouldn’t life just become a little bit easier if you have strong legs? You will not have to think twice before taking a flight of stairs if the elevator is occupied or isn’t working. And let’s be honest, who wouldn’t want to rock a toned pair of legs?
Other than developing functional strength, lower body workouts can also help improve balance and posture and reduce the risk of injuries. Aur woh bhi bina equipment ke. Leg workouts also help increase your metabolism, strength and core strength. These workouts also strengthen your lower back as they help loosen the tight muscles and increase blood circulation.
If you are looking for easy to perform, no equipment lower body exercises to include in your workout routine, look no further. Let’s take a look at a few popular lower body exercises you can easily do at home.
10 Leg Exercises For Your Home Workout Routine
Here are 10 leg exercise at home that you can include in your workout routine and #BeALittleMore health-conscious.
1. Forward Lunge
Lunges help you strengthen your lower body and develop endurance without adding strain on your joints.
Here’s how to do a Forward Lunge:
- Stand with feet hip-width apart and engage your core muscles.
- Take a step forward with your right leg.
- Lower your body until the thigh and shin of your right leg form a right angle. Your knee should not go past your toe.
- Move your left knee towards the floor (as far as your flexibility allows) while keeping your weight on the right heel.
- Press into the right heel and return to the starting position.
- Repeat on the left leg.
You can also include side lunges in your routine as they are one of the best inner thigh workouts.
This dynamic leg exercise at home can help strengthen your lower body and core muscles, improve your balance and reduce the risk of injuries. Squats are also one of the most effective thigh exercises at home.
Here is how to do a Squat:
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart.
- Engage your core muscles and open your chest.
- Stretch your hands in front of your body, parallel to the floor.
- Lower your body into a sitting position, until your thighs are parallel or almost parallel to the floor.
- Your knees should not go beyond your toes.
- Return to the standing position and repeat.
If you are looking for quad exercises at home, add squat jumps to your routine.
3. Glute Bridge
Glute Bridge is great for strengthening your lower back and improving hip mobility.
Follow these steps to do a Glute Bridge:
- Lie on the floor with your face facing towards the ceiling. Keep your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Keep your arms to the side.
- Lift your hips up until your knees, hips and shoulders form a straight line.
- Squeeze your glutes and keep your core engaged.
- Hold this position for 2 to 3 seconds.
- Return to the starting position and repeat.
4. Calf Raise
Calf raise is one of the most simple and effective leg exercises that you can include in your workout routine. This exercise helps in stabilising the feet and ankle, improving your balance, strengthening your knee joint, improving your lower body performance and reducing the risk of injuries.
Here’s how you do this Calf Raise at home:
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart, toes pointing forward, abs pulled in, back straight and shoulders back and down.
- Raise your heels slowly and stand on your toes, pause for a second.
- Lower your heels back to the ground and repeat.
5. Plank Leg Lifts
This leg workout at home is great for strengthening your lower back muscles and core, and also improving overall balance.
Follow these steps to do a Plank Leg Lift:
- Start with a plank position- your hands should be shoulder-width apart and your shoulders, hips and ankles should be in a line. Keep your core engaged.
- Slowly raise the right foot from the floor to hip height.
- Pause and lower the leg back to the floor.
- Repeat with the left leg.
6. Fire Hydrant
Fire hydrant strengthens your glutes, eases back pain and reduces the risk of injury. This is also one of the best inner thigh workouts.
Here’s how to do Fire Hydrant:
- Begin with an all-four position. Your wrists should be right under your shoulders and your knees should be right under the hips. Keep your core engaged.
- Lift your right leg away from the body forming a 45 degree angle and keep your knee at 90 degrees.
- Lower your leg to the starting position, then repeat.
- Repeat on the left leg after completing all the reps on the right one.
7. Side Leg Raise
Probably one of the best leg exercises at home, this simple exercise can help strengthen your hips, core, glutes, hamstring and lower back muscles. It also aids in improving balance, reducing knee pain, improving core strength and increasing range of motion.
How to do a Side Leg Raise:
- Lie down on the ground on your right side.
- Your body should be in a straight line. Both legs should be straight and feet stacked on top of each other.
- Place your right hand under your head for support and left hand on the hip.
- Slowly raise your left leg up towards the ceiling, inhale and lower the leg down.
- Repeat on the same leg for 10 times. Then repeat on the right leg.
This simple yet effective exercise can help strengthen your lower back, core and glutes muscles.
Here’s how to do this super strengthening leg workout at home:
- Lie facedown with your forehead on the ground and your arms and legs outstretched.
- Slowly lift your head, arms, upper back and legs off the floor.
- Keep your arms and legs straight but do not lock them.
- Hold this position for a few seconds and return to the starting position.
9. Donkey Kick
Another easy and effective leg workout without equipment that can effectively strengthen your glute, core and shoulder muscles.
How to do Donkey Kick:
- Get on your all fours with your wrists under the shoulder and your knees under the hips.
- Engage your core and keep your neck flat.
- Squeeze your glutes and lift your right leg up behind you, keeping the 90 degree bend in your knee with your foot flexed towards the ceiling.
- Don’t arch your back and rotate or tilt your hips.
- Lower your leg and repeat.
10. Side Lunge
Side lunges are great for increasing strength, stamina and coordination. This workout is also one of the most effective thigh workout at home.
Here’s how to do Side Lunge:
- Stand straight and take a large step with your left leg towards the left side with both your toes facing the same direction.
- Bend your left knee to form a right angle and keep your right leg straight.
- Push back up to the starting position and repeat.
4 Additional Tips To Strengthen Your Lower Back
- You can include stretches like child’s pose, cat and cow pose and spinal twists in your routine to increase the strength and stability of your lower back muscles.
- Climbing stairs is another great way to strengthen your lower back.
- Include wall sits in your routine for a strong lower back.
- For a strong back, strengthen your core muscles.
Working out regularly is essential to a healthy lifestyle. Lower body workouts at home are great for building overall strength, flexibility, balance and stamina. The best thing about all these exercises is that you can easily perform them from the comfort of your home without spending any money on fancy equipment. But remember, in case of injury or consistent pain, it is best to consult an expert before continuing with your workout routine.
Open up like never before and participate in conversations about beauty, entrepreneurship, mental health, menstrual & sexual health, and more. Desi women, join our community NOW!