For all the beauty treatments you can sit back and enjoy, there’s facial hair removal which is pretty unpleasant. It’s a struggle to pull and hold your skin taut as the parlour didi uses the thread as a weapon. And still, it’s what you’re probably going to run to the salon for once the lockdown is lifted. But you don’t have to wait, for here are some tried and tested methods of facial hair removal for women at home!
5 Major Causes Of Unwanted Facial Hair Growth
To better understand suitable techniques for facial hair removal, let’s get to know the causes of facial hair growth.
- Hormonal imbalance
- Health issues (Virilisation, hirsutism)
5 Techniques For Facial Hair Removal At Home
You are aware of methods like face waxing and threading to get rid of unwanted facial hair. You visit a parlour, tell the didi your preferred method and be done in a jiffy. But now you can do face waxing and more at home with these useful techniques.
One of the best methods for facial hair removal at home is shaving. And no, it’s not those jumbo razors men use, but dainty ones that are made specifically for women. You can buy facial razors for women at various online sites and even your local beauty supply store.
You Will Need:
- Face Razor/Trimmer
- Cleansed dry skin
- Make sure your skin is clean and dry with no products.
- Hold the razor at a 45-degree angle and shave your face in short, downward strokes.
- You should apply little pressure and it should feel like a spatula on your face.
- Avoid areas with acne and bumps.
2. At-Home Waxing
Face waxing is an effective way to get rid of unwanted hair on your face. A lot of women use wax to trim their eyebrows and remove upper lip hair. With this DIY technique, face waxing at home is now an easy way of facial hair removal.
You Will Need:
- Granulated sugar
- Lemon juice
- Cocoa powder (optional)
- Strips of cloth (old cotton t-shirt)
- Mix granulated sugar, lemon juice and water. For chocolate wax, you can add cocoa powder.
- Boil this in a pot over medium heat.
- Let this cool until it looks like caramelised honey and has the consistency of a thick, malleable paste.
- Apply it in the direction of hair growth, press the cloth strip on top and pull it off in the opposite direction.
- It is a quick and easy way to get rid of facial hair and is the best wax for face.
If face waxing at home is not your preferred option, threading is your best bet. A thread bundle is small and easy to carry. And this is the best way to remove facial hair without any mess! Instead of removing hair with a razor blade, threading is designed to pluck or pull hair from the roots. It ensures slow hair regrowth, making it the easiest technique of facial hair removal for women.
You Will Need:
- Salon thread or plain thread
- Take a 15-inch piece of thread and tie it together to form a loop.
- Twist the middle part at least 10-15 times and form two smaller loops.
- Practise by pulling and pushing both the loops.
- To remove hair, place the thread and widen one end of the loop.
- Remember, the thread will remove hair in the direction of the smaller loop.
- Though this method takes a little practise, it certainly is the best technique of facial hair removal.
Epilators work similar to tweezing and shaving. This technique removes multiple hairs from the roots at once. Epilators are not just for legs and arms but come in many sizes, making them the best way to remove facial hair.
You Will Need:
- Epilator of your choice
- Scrub your face to get rid of dead skin cells.
- Hold your skin taut and start using the epilator in small strokes.
- Use an upward motion for best results.
- Avoid acne spots and bumpy skin.
Tweezing works on any facial hair. It’s particularly useful when shaping the eyebrows. This method ensures slower hair growth, about 3-8 weeks. If you are not comfortable with full face waxing or shaving, then this one is perfect for you.
You Will Need:
- Outline the shape of your eyebrows to make the process easier.
- Isolate the hairs you want to pluck.
- Pull and hold your skin taut and pluck in the direction of hair growth.
- Do this one hair at a time and make sure to pull your skin.
- Though there might be some discomfort, with practice it will become less painful.
Tip: In case you are facing issues with uniform eyebrow growth, try applying castor oil on eyebrows with the help of cotton bud; leave it overnight for best results.
5 Natural Ways To Get Rid Of Facial Hair
Plucking, threading, shaving and waxing are great ways to get rid of facial hair. But there are several natural facial hair removal methods that work wonderfully.
1. Mung & Rosewater (Gulabjal) Mask
Rosewater (gulabjal) is a miraculous skincare ingredient that works in many different ways. Mung has exfoliating properties and, when combined with rosewater (gulabjal), is perfect for acne-prone skin. It gently removes hair while cleansing the skin.
- Mix mung flour, rosewater (gulabjal) and some lemon juice to form a thick paste
- Apply this on your skin and let it dry completely
- Once it dries, rub it in circular motions
2. Oatmeal & Banana Scrub
A great hair removing agent, the coarseness and grainy texture of oatmeal helps exfoliate the skin.
- Mash a banana in a bowl and mix in some blended oatmeal
- Apply this paste on the skin and rub in a circular motion
- Leave it on for 15-20 minutes and wash with cold water
3. Eggs & Cornstarch Peel Off Mask
Eggs are optimal for hair waxing! Egg whites help pluck hair just like wax. This DIY is perfect for acne-prone or sensitive skin. It acts as the best wax for face hair removal.
- Mix egg whites, cornstarch and sugar to make a smooth paste
- Apply it on the skin and let it dry for 15-10 minutes
- Once it becomes a little hard, pull it off in swift motions
4. Papaya & Turmeric (Haldi) Mask
Raw papaya contains an enzyme called Papain which disintegrates hair cuticles and causes it to fall out naturally. And turmeric (haldi) is a potent skincare ingredient. Together, this makes it an unbeatable combination for hair removal that’s suitable for all skin types.
- Peel a papaya and mash to make a paste
- Add a little turmeric (haldi) powder and mix well
- Gently massage this paste on your skin and leave it on for 20 minutes
- Wash it off with warm water
5. Lentil (Dal) & Potato Mask
While potatoes help make delicious food, they also have bleaching properties that lighten skin and hair. Dried lentils (dal) are an effective way to pull off unwanted hair.
- After soaking the yellow lentils (dal) overnight, run them through a food processor
- Form a thick paste by adding potato juice, lemon and honey
- Apply this mask over the desired areas and leave it on for 20-30 minutes
- Gently remove it with your fingers
8 Important Tips & Key Takeaways For Hair Removal
- The best way to deal with eyebrows is to pluck them with tweezers.
- Take a warm bath or shower beforehand to open the pores.
- Wash and scrub the skin to remove natural oil that accumulates.
- Threading works best for removing upper lip hair.
- While using hot masks or wax, make sure it is warm, not hot.
- If you opt for shaving, do use a shaving cream or foam (conditioner works as well).
- Do not wax, shave, scrub, peel off the skin in and around wounds, scabs or acne.
- Exfoliating your skin before removing hair helps as it gets rid of dead skin cells.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Which hair removal method is best?
A. While there are several hair removal methods available, waxing is an effective way to remove body hair. Shaving, though an easy option, can lead to ingrown hair. For facial hair, plucking and threading work well. Several women opt for laser hair removal and depilatory creams too.
Q. What is the best way to remove facial hair?
A. Shaving, waxing, threading, tweezing and epilating are some of the best ways to remove facial hair. If you are not comfortable with any of this, you can try a variety of natural facial hair removal masks, scrubs and peel-offs.
Q. Is it okay to remove facial hair?
A. It’s no secret that all of us have hair, not just on the top of our heads, but on the body and our face as well. Most of it is too small or light to see and is known as peach fuzz. While many happily sport Kajol-like famous eyebrows or flaunt leg hair just like Rihanna, some prefer removing hair from their body. The decision to flaunt or remove facial hair is entirely up to you.