Are you contemplating switching to a more natural, herbal, and homemade shampoo from your regular one? Well, it can be quite stressful to switch beauty products, especially something that you have been swearing by since ages. However, if you are intending to opt for a homemade shampoo then no need to think twice. Preparing your very own customized shampoo with all the natural and organic ingredients will prove all the nourishment to your hair that store-bought shampoos take away.
One of the main benefits of using natural shampoo is having a check on the ingredients. Customizing it with all the right components that will particularly benefit your hair and scalp type. Conventional shampoos generally leave your hair and scalp dry, itchy, and prone to hair loss. Therefore, avoiding overexposure to chemicals is advised. You can prepare a number of homemade shampoos without castile soap. It is an olive oil-based soap. Opt for completely natural ingredients without chemicals. Let’s find out how to make shampoo at home with all the readily available natural ingredients quickly.
7 Natural Homemade Shampoo Recipes
1. Aloe Vera Homemade Shampoo For Curly Hair
Curly hair looks exquisite but it comes with two-fold problems. The hair strands generally lack moisture while the scalp remains oily. Aloe vera brings the solution to these problems. Homemade aloe vera shampoo is typically effective for curly and wavy hair, due to its moisturising elements. It can also be easily washed off.
- 300 ml of filtered water
- 1/3 cup of glycerin soap base
- A few drops of jojoba oil
- 1 cup of aloe vera gel
- 1 capsule of vitamin E oil
- Take a pan, mix the soap base and water. Turn the heat off once the soap melts into water.
- Add aloe vera gel, vitamin E oil, and jojoba oil. Blend them together.
- Now, add the mixture of soap and water to the aloe vera paste in a bottle.
- Shake the bottle every time before using this homemade aloe vera shampoo.
- You can store it for a month.
2. Honey Shampoo For Silky & Smooth Hair
Honey is best known for its healing properties. It also softens your hair and adds a silky smooth texture to it. It is a proven ingredient for softening hair, hydrating your scalp, and keeping your hair frizz-free.
- 1 cup of liquid soap
- ½ cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of organic honey
- A few drops of essential oil of your choice
- A measuring cup
- Take a bowl and mix the liquid soap and water.
- Add honey and the essential oil to the mixture, and then blend them all together.
- Put the shampoo in a bottle and shake it well before using it every time.
3. DIY Lemon Shampoo For Oily Hair
Lemon is an age-old antidote to the oily scalp due to its drying properties. Vinegar checks on the PH balance of your hair, giving it a shiny appearance. Apple, cider, and vinegar have antifungal and antibacterial properties that treat various infections, dandruff, and itchiness in your scalp.
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 30 ml of lukewarm water
- Dried apple rings
- Take a bowl and mix all the ingredients together.
- Put the shampoo in a bottle. Keep the size of the apple rings large enough that they don’t fall out of the bottle.
- Ensure that you massage the scalp area and the roots while applying the shampoo.
4. Shikakai Herbal Shampoo
This DIY shampoo, having shikakai as its primary ingredient, will give your hair the perfect bounce and shine. It will also help you to get rid of dandruff and cleanse your scalp for a long-lasting duration.
- 5 to 6 pods of shikakai
- 2 tablespoon of fenugreek seeds (methi)
- 5-6 pods of reetha
- 2-3 cups of water
- Take a steel pan. Pour the cups of water in it and turn on the heat.
- Put all the herbs in the boiling water and boil them for 15 minutes.
- Thereafter, leave it for a while.
- Strain the herbs and pour the filtered liquid in a bottle.
- Shake the bottle every time before applying the shampoo on your hair.
5. Cucumber Shampoo For Itchy Scalp
Cucumber has anti-inflammatory properties which effectively treats skin infection and itchiness. This homemade shampoo recipe with cucumber will cleanse the scalp and keep it healthy.
- 1 cucumber
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- Cut the cucumber into pieces and blend it well.
- Add the lime juice to the cucumber paste.
- Massage the shampoo on your scalp and keep it for at least 15 minutes before washing it off.
6. Almond Oil Shampoo For Nourished Hair
This shampoo with the goodness of coconuts and almonds can nourish your hair and stimulate hair follicles for healthier hair growth. It will moisturize and strengthen weak hair.
- ½ cup of distilled water
- 2 – 3 tablespoons of liquid castile soap
- ¼ cup full cream coconut milk
- 1 – 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- ½ tablespoon of almond oil
- 3 – 5 drops of either lavender, rosemary or rosehip essential oil
- 3 drops of vitamin E oil
- Take a clean bottle and add coconut milk, water, and castile soap in it.
- Shake the mixture.
- Thereafter, pour the coconut, almond, vitamin E and essential oil in it.
- You can store this shampoo for a maximum of 4 weeks.
7. Coconut Milk Homemade Shampoo For Dry Hair
Coconut milk is creamy and rich in vitamins, containing iron, calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium. Its high protein profile helps to strengthen the roots of your hair and improve overall scalp and hair health. This homemade herbal shampoo removes excess sebum and dandruff.
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- Hot water
- Take a container and mix the two different oils with milk.
- Massage thoroughly onto your scalp and keep it for 15 minutes before washing off.
Indeed, hair is your crown jewel, and doing your best to keep it in best health is a must. Try using a couple of these homemade DIY shampoos until you find out which one suits you aptly. The recipes foretell that all you need is some staple kitchen ingredients. It might take some time for your hair to get used to the organic treatment, hence, be patient. With time, you will see the difference. Remember that if you can detox your body once in a while then you can do the same with your hair.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What are the benefits of essential oils for hair?
A. Essential oils are concentrated, natural extracts that consist of antioxidants and possess healing properties. Adding essential oils to your shampoo is advised by dermatologists for better hair care. They soften the hair texture, add shine, moisturise and soothe the scalp, and promote hair growth.
Q. Why are homemade shampoos better than store-bought ones?
A. Homemade shampoo is free from artificial ingredients, chemicals, and preservatives which are toxic to your hair and body. Herbal and organic ingredients are used in homemade shampoo, which can be customised according to your requirements, causing minimum or no damage.
Q. How long does it take for the hair and scalp to adjust to homemade shampoo?
A. A minimum of a few weeks will be required for your hair to get used to the change. It’s important to be patient and allow your scalp to naturally adjust with new and completely organic exposure.