Uff, urly zulfon ka kya kehna! Soft curls are everyone’s go-to hairstyle for a reason. They look absolutely stunning on any face. They look effortless and enhance your face structure. No matter the occasion you’re getting taiyar shayar for, curls will always go with your outfit.
But if you don’t have naturally curly hair, how do you get your desired waves? Using heat appliances like curlers, right? What if we told you there were better ways to get what you want?
But first up, why not just use something like a curler? We’ll tell you why. Here are some side-effects of long-term usage of heat appliances on your hair:
- Damaged cuticles
- Coarse hair texture
- Hair fall
- Split ends and breakage
- Dry hair
- Discolouration, etc
Want to avoid all these problems? Fikar not, we’ve rounded up the best ways to get heatless curls without exposing your hair to damage.
5 No-Heat Hair Curling Methods
1. Hair Rollers
If you think tools for heatless curls don’t work, you can’t be further away from the truth. We bet you haven’t tried one of the best heatless curls tools – rollers! Yes, and the best thing about it is that you can adjust the size of your curls using different-sized rollers. For tight curls, go for a small roller and a larger one for huge voluminous curls.
How To Do It:
- Simply wet your hair with a spray bottle or wash it with your volumising shampoo.
- Using a towel, wring out the extra water from your hair.
- If your hair is thick, separate it and roll it upwards. If your hair is fine, you can avoid this step.
- As you roll higher, make sure the rollers sit snugly against your scalp (a very important step).
- The rollers do not need to be secured with pins. If you’re having trouble with the roller sticking to your scalp, try removing some sections of the hair and do it again.
- Leave the rollers in your hair for a couple of hours until your hair is completely dry. This time is all yours, read a book, open up Netflix or choose the road least taken and finish your chores.
- After the time is up, unfold your hair, finger comb and set it with a setting spray.
2. Braid Your Hair
Ye toh simple hai. How to get beach waves without heat? This is your how. Your flawless no-heat curls are just one night away. All you need is a rubber band. Easy peasy, right?
How To Do It:
- Wash your hair and wait until it’s halfway dry.
- Part your hair into two sections and braid them.
- Make two standard braids on either side of your head if you only want waves at the ends of your hair.
- Create two French braids or boxer braids on either side of your head for waves that start near the roots of your hair.
- Make sure the braids are secure so your hair doesn’t frizz up when you open them.
- Continue braiding your hair until it is completely dry. You can leave the braids in your hair overnight and undo them in the morning.
- Finish with a hairspray after finger combing your hair in the morning.
If your hair naturally has some texture but you have been neglecting to look after this, scrunching will help you bring out its natural shape. It is one of the best no-heat hair curling methods that you don’t need tools for.
How To Do It:
- Shampoo your hair like usual using a volumising shampoo and conditioner.
- Only use the conditioner on the ends of your hair to avoid weighing it down. While you’re doing this, detangle your hair gently using your fingers.
- To remove any residue product, carefully rinse your hair with cold water.
- Using a soft towel, squeeze off the excess water. If you rub your hair harshly, it can lead to frizz and breakage. To avoid this, carefully press the surplus water out (patience is your friend).
- Pump a pea-sized amount of gel while your hair is still damp.
- Bend down from the waist and start scrunching your hair with the product. Crumple your hair in the same way that you would crumple a piece of paper (but aram se!).
- Avoid putting any product around your roots because it will make your hair look oily. Continue scrunching upward and allowing your hair to dry.
4. Curls Using Your Headband
There are so many ways how to curl your hair without heat. This one is one of the top ones, it’s perfect if you want large voluminous curls.
How To Do It:
- Wrap a headband around your head while your hair is still slightly damp.
- Start wrapping your hair around the headband by dividing it into two sections.
- Pin your hair to keep it in place once you’ve reached the end of the section.
- Repeat the same with the second section and secure it with pins.
- You can speed up the drying process by using a cool blow dryer or going to bed with your hair wrapped around the headband.
- Unpin your hair and let it down after it’s fully dried.
- To keep the volume, comb your hair with your fingers and end by scrunching it with a sea-salt spray.
5. Heatless Waves With Pins
A classic that will never go out. It’s a simple hairstyle that you can do at home without worry and get super amazing curls. All you need are some pins.
How To Do It:
- Follow your shampoo routine and detangle your hair with a wide hair comb.
- Dry your hair using a soft towel and squeeze out the excess water.
- Apply hair gel to keep your hair secure in one place.
- Make a section in the crown of your head. Make a bun out of it. This will be the last section that you’ll be working on.
- To make a loop, take a 1-inch of your hair from the side and wrap the end around your index finger. With your thumb and index finger, hold it in place.
- Using a hairpin, secure the rolled-up part flat against your scalp. Make sure you take a small amount of hair.
- Carry this on with the rest of your hair and work on the bun at last.
- To keep all the pins in one place, wear a scarf to bed.
- Undo your curls first thing in the morning. When your hair is completely dry, remove the pins.
- Finish this with a setting spray and you’re good to go.
5 Tips To Maintain Curly Hair
Curls toh aa gaye, but looking after your gorgeous hair is also a task. If you want to ensure your hair stays healthy and curly for a long, then follow these tips.
- Comb your hair going from bottom to top.
- Use hydrating hair products like these that are specially made to maintain healthy-looking curls.
- Condition your hair to keep your curls healthy.
- Scrunch up your hair after washing it. Always.
- Get regular trims to avoid split ends.
Getting heatless waves is so easy. But most of the methods take some time, so don’t go running if you read something like “how to curl hair without heat in 5 minutes”. Take it with a grain of salt. #BeALittleMore caring of your wavy hair because it needs more attention and love.
Open up like never before and participate in conversations about beauty, entrepreneurship, mental health, menstrual & sexual health, and more. Desi women, join our community NOW!