Breezy showers and cloudy skies, monsoons are a welcoming respite to the searing summer heat. Perhaps the only thing we hate about this season is hair fall in monsoon. Taking care of your hair becomes much more difficult during the rainy season. But with a little extra care, you can enjoy this season to the fullest without worrying about your hair.
From causes and prevention to effective home remedies, here is all you need to know about hair fall in monsoon.
Causes Of Hair Fall During Monsoons
According to experts, there is about a 30% increase in hair fall during monsoon. The weather may also worsen other issues like dandruff, oily scalp, dull hair and more.
Here are a few reasons why your hair troubles tend to increase during the rainy season.
- The increased moisture in the air during monsoon can wreak havoc on your hair. During the rainy season, your hair’s chemical structure makes it very sensitive to airborne hydrogen. It absorbs the hydrogen and this leads to the formation of bonds. The hair swells until a smooth cuticle erupts, making it frizzy and brittle.
- Keeping the hair dry is a big problem during the rainy season. Increased scalp moisture may affect the strength of hair follicles. This makes your hair appear dull and lifeless. Also, wet and tangled hair is more prone to breakage.
- Dampness also leads to an increased risk of scalp infections. Also, the presence of pollutants in rainwater may intensify fungal scalp infections. This, in turn, weakens the hair roots and increases hair fall.
Natural Remedies For Hair Fall
A lot of people turn to over-the-counter solutions and chemical-based products to cope with increased hair fall during monsoons. But does this really help? Unfortunately, the answer is no. On the contrary, excessive use of chemical-based products may lead to more hair and scalp issues.
What you need is a safe and natural solution that’ll help keep your hair strong and nourished during this weather.
Here are 6 effective home remedies that can help you deal with hair problems like dullness, dryness and hair fall in monsoon.
1. Hibiscus Hair Mask For Hair Fall
Wondering how to prevent hair fall in monsoon? This natural remedy will help. Hibiscus offers extraordinary healing properties and can be used for tackling several common hair problems. Hibiscus flowers contain amino acids that produce keratin and provide the hair with necessary nutrients, thus preventing breakage and promoting hair growth. The ingredient also helps in treating dandruff and itchy scalp.
Here is how you can use hibiscus for strengthening hair roots and promoting hair growth. This remedy will also make your hair nourished and more manageable.
You Will Need:
- 1 hibiscus flower
- 3 to 4 hibiscus leaves
- 4 tablespoons of curd (dahi)
- Grind the hibiscus leaves and flowers to make a fine paste.
- Add in the dahi and mix well to get a smooth consistency.
- Apply the mixture to your scalp and hair and let it sit for an hour.
- Shampoo your hair lukewarm water.
- Use the remedy 1-2 a week.
2. Onion Juice Scalp Remedy For Hair Fall
Onion juice contains sulphur, which is believed to be useful in preventing hair thinning and breakage, thus promoting hair growth. It also helps reduce hair fall by increasing blood supply to the hair follicles.
You Will Need:
- Half onion
- A cotton swab
- Put the onion in a blunder to extract its juice.
- Use the cotton swab to apply the onion juice to your scalp.
- Leave it on for 30 -50 minutes and then wash your hair with water.
- Use this remedy twice a week.
3. Coconut Oil
Another answer to how to control hair fall in monsoon is the regular use of coconut oil. Oiling is one of the most important steps in an effective monsoon hair care routine. Loaded with essential fatty acids and proteins, coconut oil helps nourish the scalp and strengthen the hair. It is a great remedy for dryness and frizz. It is also a great nail growth supplement and a reliable solution in case you are wondering how to grow nails naturally.
You Will Need:
- 2 tablespoons of warm coconut oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Juice of 1 orange juice
- Mix the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Apply the mixture to your scalp and hair.
- Give yourself turban therapy.
- After an hour, wash your hair using a mild shampoo.
4. Aloe Vera Solution To Reduce Hair Fall
Is there anything this magical ingredient can’t do? Aloe vera offers an array of hair health benefits. It is packed with alkaline properties that can stimulate hair growth by balancing the PH levels of your hair. Moreover, it helps in keeping your scalp cool and clean.
You Will Need:
- Aloe vera gel/pulp
- Apply the aloe vera pulp directly to your scalp.
- Let it sit for an hour or two.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
You may also consider starting your day by consuming a spoonful of fresh aloe vera juice with lukewarm water. Mixing aloe gel to your hair oil or shampoo is also a great remedy for healthy and strong hair.
5. Fenugreek (Methi) Scalp Mask To Reduce Hair Fall
Being high in nicotinic acid and protein, fenugreek seeds may prove to be extremely beneficial for treating problems like dandruff and hair fall.
You Will Need:
- ½ a cup of fenugreek seeds
- Soak the fenugreek seeds in water overnight.
- Grind the seeds to make a paste.
- Apply the paste to your scalp.
- Let it sit for 30-50 minutes before washing it off.
- Use this remedy once a week for best results.
6. Indian Gooseberry (Amla) Overnight Hair Pack For Hair Fall
Amla possesses antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and exfoliating properties that can help in hair stimulation. Moreover, it is rich in antioxidants that can help improve hair health. This ingredient is packed with calcium and tannins, that promote hair growth.
You Will Need:
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Amla pulp
- Mix the ingredients and apply the mixture to your scalp.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it overnight.
- Shampoo your hair the next morning.
Alternatively, you can apply fresh amla juice to your scalp. Let it sit for about 30 minutes and then rinse it off. Use this remedy twice a week for best results
Tips To Arrest Hair Fall During The Monsoons
Monsoon may bring along a fair share of hair woes, but this does not mean you have to stay cooped up indoors during rains. Here’s how to control hair fall during monsoon.
- As far as possible, keep your hair dry.
- Use a microfiber towel to dry your hair. It soaks up the water and dries hair faster. Moreover, it causes minimum friction, thus decreasing breakage.
- Avoid excessive use of chemical-based hair products. Due to the excess humidity during this season, these products may make your hair greasy and increase your hair troubles.
- A healthy and balanced diet goes a long way in maintaining hair health. Since protein is vital for hair strength, don’t forget to include protein-rich foods in your diet.
- Make sure the shampoo you use is free from harsh chemicals like parabens and sulfates. Using a mild shampoo will help revitalise your hair and restore its strength and volume without causing further damage. A mild cleansing shampoo will gently reduce product build-up and help your locks retain its moisture.
- Do not skip conditioning. Regular conditioning is an effective remedy for frizzy and weak hair.
- If you end up getting drenched in the rain, make sure to shampoo your hair as soon as you get home.
- Cover your hair while stepping out in the rain. This may not work for heavy rainfall but will definitely protect your hair from light drizzles.
- Monsoon may not be the best season to try out complicated hairstyles or use styling tools. It is also recommended to avoid tying your hair too tight. Keep it natural and simple.
- Never comb your hair when they are wet as this may lead to more tangling and breakage. Also, do not share combs during this season to avoid scalp infections.
- A good night’s sleep is important for maintaining the health of your hair and skin.
These home remedies and tips will help you bid adieu to all your hair problems during monsoon. Now that you know how to stop hair fall naturally in the rainy season, you can step out and enjoy the lovely weather without worrying about your tresses!