Needless to say, your smelly period blood is a source of embarrassment when you’re out in public. It makes you conscious of your presence as you look for an opportune moment to make a dash for the washroom to change into a fresh period product. And if it still doesn’t go away, you worry about the real cause behind the foul odour.
Certain odours are a cause for concern because they might be the result of an underlying health condition and needs to be medically treated. So, let’s discuss the various period smells and what you can do to prevent it from smelling foul.
5 Types Of Period Blood Odours
Period blood can have various odours, based on various factors – some related to hygiene, while others are completely biological. Here’s taking a look at the different kinds of odours of period blood and understand why they are so.
If your period blood gives out a rottens smell, it’s demanding immediate attention. It might be an underlying sign of a problem. This smell usually occurs when a foreign body like a tampon has been left inside. If you’re not a tampon user, you may have been using the same sanitary napkin for a really long time, way beyond 6 hours or so. Change your period product and see whether there’s a change in your period odour. If the foul smell still exists, you should consult a doctor as soon as possible.
A distinctively metallic smell like that of a copper coin usually indicates the presence of iron in the blood and is not usually a cause for concern. However, the smell shouldn’t prolong beyond the period days. If it does, you need to see a gynaecologist.
3. Your Body Odour
If your period blood smells like your body odour, it is possibly because of the presence of apocrine sweat glands in your genital area. Apocrine sweat reacts with the bacteria on your skin’s surface to create the smell of body odour. And this especially happens when you’re stressed out and are suffering from anxiety. However, this sweat is way different from the natural smell of your sweat lost when you run a high temperature or while exercising.
If your period blood smells sweet, it is most likely due to bacterial growth and acidic environment in your vagina. Since it cannot be treated through gharelu nuskhe, it is advisable that you consult a doctor and follow his/her method of treatment.
Fishy smell in period blood may indicate an infection like trichomoniasis or bacterial vaginosis. What’s more, the odour may prolong beyond your period. Trichomoniasis is a sexually transmitted infection (STI) that produces fishy smell, specially during periods, when blood raises the vaginal alkalinity. The odour may also be accompanied with white or grey vaginal discharge when you’re not menstruating. On being diagnosed through a few tests, this infection is treated through antibiotics.
Bacterial vaginosis, on the other hand, is another common infection that develops as a result of an overgrowth of bacteria in the vagina. It is usually the result of having multiple sex partners. Caused by protozoa, it can be passed to another person during intercourse. This infection too is diagnosed through medical tests and treated with antibiotics.
5 Do’s & Don’ts To Improve The Smell Of Period Blood
- Make sure to take a shower every day, with specific attention to cleaning your lady bits down there, to maintain your hygiene during this time of the month.
- Change your underwear at least once a day, so that your period blood does not stay accumulated there, making your private areas smell bad.
- Change your sanitary napkin every 4 to 6 hours, depending on your flow. If you’re in the habit of using tampons or menstrual cups, follow the instructions mentioned in the product package and strictly follow the instructions provided there.
- Steer clear of using vaginal cleansers that claim to maintain hygiene down below. In reality, they are not just unnecessary, they also do you more harm than good by affecting the natural acid balance in your private parts. These can lead to a buildup of harmful bacteria, causing bacterial or yeast infections, and irritate the vaginal area.
- Clean your private area with water, along with a mild, chemical-free soap, to get rid of accumulated period blood, if any.
Open up like never before and participate in conversations about beauty, mental health, menstrual & sexual health, and more. Desi women, join our community NOW!