Lo, phir se aa gaya! Isn’t that your first reaction the moment you realise you are on your period? No matter how many menstrual cycles you may have borne through life, periods can still be messy and painful. And sometimes, you are just not ready to deal with that whole situation! At times, you may want to push the start of your period until a later date.
There can be an array of reasons why you may want to delay your periods. Maybe you are trying to avoid all the hassle periods bring due to some important event, like an outstation conference or a wedding. Or perhaps you want to enjoy a period-free family vacation? Or maybe you are buried with work and just don’t have the time to deal with menses right now.
Whatever your reason may be, putting off periods may seem like a wise choice at the moment. But remember that delaying your period’s start date might be a little tricky.
If you want to know more about how to delay periods, here’s the guide for you to through to learn more and #BeALittleMore aware of how to go about it. Read on to find out more!
How Late Can A Period Be?
A menstrual cycle (the time from the first day of your period until the beginning of your next one) is usually 28 days long. However, anywhere between 21 days to 35 days is considered to be a healthy menstrual cycle.
This implies that it is absolutely normal for a period to begin before or after 1 to 4 days of your expected date.
Do you know how late can a period be before it is considered to be a missed period? The answer is 6 weeks! After about 6 weeks, a late period can be considered as a missed period.
Read 4 Reasons For Painful Periods & A Fertility Expert’s Advice On Your Treatment Options
Can Natural Remedies Be Effective In Delaying Periods?
Not much scientific evidence is present to support the use of natural remedies for pushing back the start of periods. The only proof of the effectiveness of these remedies is the positive response of those who’ve used them.
The best way to find out whether these remedies work or not is by trying them out yourself. Not only are these methods safe, but they also come with additional benefits.
The only thing you need to be careful about is not to overdo them. Here’s why:
- Having Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) on a regular basis may negatively affect your teeth and the delicate tissues of your throat and mouth. Hence, it is advisable to not have undiluted ACV. Make sure to dilute it with water before consumption.
- Excess consumption of lentils may cause issues like flatulence, bloating and digestive problems.
- Food with high acidic content can cause issues related to stomach, teeth, gums etc. Hence, it is recommended to water down the lemon juice before consumption.
- Consuming large amounts of gelatin may cause digestive distress and bloating, so make sure not to overdo it
- Excessive workouts or strenuous physical activity may end up causing fatigue or injury
Watch How Much Blood Do You Actually Lose During Your Period
5 Home Remedies On How To Delay Periods Naturally
Wondering how to delay periods? #BeALittleMore careful by avoiding medicinal-based methods and going natural. Here’s how:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
It is believed that the acid content in apple cider vinegar can aid in delaying periods. ACV also comes with a variety of benefits like reducing acne, detoxifying the body, treating heartburn and reducing belly fat. It is also believed to be effective in treating issues like menstrual pain and bloating.
- Mix 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water to make a solution.
- Drink this solution for a few days before you are expecting your periods.
2. Gram Lentils
Another common kitchen ingredient that can be your solution to how to delay periods naturally is gram lentils. Here is how you can use this amazing ingredient for pushing forward your period date.
- Fry the gram lentils until they turn soft.
- Now, grind the fried lentils to get a fine powder.
- Consume this powder (mixed with a liquid or perhaps in a soup or smoothie) for a few days before your period.
- Alternatively, you can purchase gran lentil flour from the market.
3. Lemon Juice
Another effective solution for how to postpone periods is lemon juice. The vitamin C content and acidic content of lemon juice are also believed to help delay periods. It is also said that consuming lemon juice can result in light blood flow during your period.
Users of this remedy suggest that lemon juice can be useful in relieving complications related to periods.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice to hot water.
- Drink this solution every day for at least 7-8 days before your period.
Another emergency hack for how to postpone periods, which women swear by, is consuming gelatin-water solution. This simple ancient Chinese remedy is the best solution for emergencies when you don’t have enough time to give other remedies a shot.
- Dissolve gelatin powder or gelatin crystals in a glass of warm water and drink it.
- This will delay your periods for a few hours. In case you are looking to delay it for longer, you may repeat the treatment a couple of times.
5. Strenuous Physical Activity Or Exercise
Unlike other methods, this remedy has some scientific backing. For instance, female athletes often complained about secondary amenorrhea, in which they do not get their period for long or skip a few periods erratically. This is because strenuous exercise can impact hormones. It is believed that indulging in heavy exercise sends a signal of stress to the brain. Another reason could be the low-energy availability after strenuous activity. As a result, you may experience a delay in your periods.
So engaging in heavy physical activity in the days leading up to your period can aid in delaying its start. However, no research has been conducted to support whether heavy physical activity can be used to delay a period deliberately.
Side-Effects Of Delaying Your Periods
Now you know how to delay periods naturally at home. But before you try out these remedies, it is important to know that delaying periods purposefully may cause some unwarranted results.
Other than the side effects caused by the overuse of these natural remedies, there are certain other consequences of delaying your periods. One of the main side effects is breakthrough bleeding, which is the spotting or bleeding you may experience between your normal menstrual cycles. Using methods like birth control pills or patches may cause hormonal cycle imbalance, acne breakouts, mood swings, etc.
On the bright side, natural remedies for delaying your periods are unlikely to negatively impact your cycle. You may take the professional opinion of your doctor on how to delay periods naturally at home.
Remember, postponing your periods too often or for too long is not a healthy practice. So do not make it a habit! Instead, look for options that can make your periods easier to deal with.
How To Get Periods Immediately, If Delayed?
A delay in periods can be a nightmare, especially when you are all set to be done with it before some upcoming event. Here are a few tips on how to get periods immediately if delayed.
- Have fresh papaya pieces or a blended papaya smoothie twice a day until you get your period.
- Add 2 tablespoons of fennel seeds to a glass of water and let it soak overnight. Strain and drink this mixture on an empty stomach every morning until you get your period.
- Add pomegranate seeds to your diet.
- Take two fresh, peeled carrots and blend them to prepare carrot juice. You may add in a little sugar for taste. Drink this juice on an empty stomach every morning until you get your period.
- Wondering how to get periods immediately if delayed? Try out this popular household remedy. Take a tablespoon of fresh ginger juice and mix a drop of honey in it. Consume this mixture every night until your period.
While medicinal methods are far more effective in delaying periods, they might not be the safest choice. If you are wondering how to delay periods, try out these natural and safe remedies. But remember not to overdo them. In case you have any doubts or confusion, it is best to take your doctor’s advice on how to delay periods naturally at home.
Open up like never before and participate in conversations about beauty, entrepreneurship, mental health, menstrual & sexual health, and more. Desi women, join our community NOW!