Holi is the joyous and cheerful festival of colours! To all Indians, Holi is a much-anticipated occasion. All the colours and smiling faces smeared in vibrant shades, the pichkaris and mithais only add to the resplendence of the already colourful festivity. However, the colours that we smear on each others’ faces aren’t always friendly towards our skin or hair. No, even organic colours aren’t your allies. If you neglect skincare and also hair care before you indulge in the mirthful celebrations, you are likely to develop rashes, acne, damaged and frizzy hair and a host of other problems.
You must also be mindful of another fact – the time around which we celebrate Holi. The weather that prevails during this occasion is far from being amiable and pleasant. You, or rather your skin, would end up being adversely affected by the UV rays of the sun, being exposed to sun rays for long hours. So how can you have fun outdoors and still maintain your healthy skin and locks? Here are some useful tips and tips for Holi skincare and Holi hair care.
Pre Holi Skin Care & Hair Care Regime To Get You Holi Ready
A lot of experts say that it’s not a good idea to indulge in Holi celebrations without adopting precautionary measures. On the day of the festivity, your skin and hair would be exposed to many harmful elements apart from colours replete with toxic chemicals. You would be exposed to the scorching shafts of the sun; you would be sprayed with water from pichkaris; you might even be shoved into muddy potholes! Pranks like these are nothing new, after all. Therefore, consider taking a look at the following pre-Holi skincare tips and also some Holi hair care tips because prevention is always better than cure!
Pre Holi Skin Care Tips To Protect Your Skin
First, find out what you can do to protect your skin from dust, colours, pollutants, sunrays and whatnot! Here are some essential pre-Holi skincare tips.
- Even before you venture outdoors, wash your face and apply some moisturizer having an SPF of 50
- Apply some virgin olive oil on your face and neck very carefully and use a piece of blotting paper to get rid of the excess oil
- Moisturize your body and you may use a moisturizer or coconut oil or almond oil for the same
- Protect yourself from sunburns with SPF 50+ sunblocks and sunscreens but you may refrain from doing so, if your moisturizer contains an SPF of 20 and above
- Apply some lip balm or petroleum jelly to your lips
- Apply generous quantities of petroleum jelly in the areas surrounding your ears and eyes to prevent colours from settling around those areas
- Protect your nails too! It’s better to cut your nails before Holi. Use dark-coloured nail paints to prevent your nails from being stained by colours.
- Apply some olive oil on your nails before you begin playing with colours
- To ensure additional protection for your skin from all the sunshine and colours, you should wear clothes that can cover almost all the parts of your body.
- Wear clothes made of breathable and light fabric like cotton
- Staying hydrated is perhaps the most important Holi skincare tip. This is because it can prevent your skin from looking lifeless and dry once Holi is over
Pre Holi Hair Care Tips To Prevent Hair Damage
Find out how to protect your beautiful tresses from damage!
- Nobody is a fan of dry, frizzy hair but all those toxic chemicals found in colours may leave your hair damaged. So, how to prevent that? Simple! Just apply generous amounts of oil to your hair before stepping out to immerse yourself in colours
- We all love flaunting our hair but Holi is not the right occasion to do that. So, it would be good if you tie your hair up in a bun or a braid
- The best way to protect your hair is to cover it with a cap or even with scarves or dupattas
Post Holi Skin Care & Hair Care Regime That You Must Follow
If you have carefully read through all the above sections, you have likely gained a fair idea about the basic hair care and skincare tips for Holi. But, what to do once the celebrations have concluded? Read on to discover some very useful tips for post Holi skin and hair care!
10 Effective Post Holi Skin Care Tips
No matter how hard you try, you cannot protect yourselves completely from the flurry of colours. Complete protection can hardly be guaranteed even after following all the precautions. So, what are the post holi skin care tips that you can follow?
- To begin with, wash your face with cold water and a nice face wash, preferably a foaming face wash
- Then, you may apply some coconut oil or olive oil to your face and wash it off after about five minutes
- Applying homemade face masks containing sandalwood (chandan), turmeric (haldi) and so on would be excellent as they will have a soothing effect on your skin and will also help you in removing all the colours easily
- Feel free to apply face packs containing ingredients like curd and honey or papaya and olive oil to help moisturize your skin
- You can even go for ubtans to deal with stubborn stains along with acne, blackheads and so on
- It would be good if you refrain from applying a lot of makeup on your face for a couple of days
- You can treat your sunburns by rubbing ice on them and to prevent further sunburns consider applying sunscreen every day
- Avoid going to parlours for a few days after the celebrations and let your skin heal
- It is important to apply some good cleansing agent to your body to get rid of colours and also the toxins that they contain. This should be followed up by toning and moisturizing your skin too
- Don’t hesitate to consult a skin care specialist in case any irritation on your skin aggravates or if similar problems crop up
Post Holi Hair Care Tips To Maintain Your Gorgeous Tresses
A careful reading of the above section will help you in building a post-Holi skincare routine for yourself. Everyone needs to make a routine like this. This is because after Holi skincare may become a major cause for concern for many. Here are some effective post-Holi hair care tips.
- During the post-celebration phase, you should apply shampoo to your hair carefully to get rid of all the colours from your scalp and hair
- Once you finish with the above step, remember to apply conditioner to your tresses to prevent them from becoming frizzy
- A very important tip is to apply homemade hair masks to help your locks, strands and curls regain their shine and strength. For instance, you may consider using a mixture of honey, eggs and yoghurt as a hair mask
- Avoid hair styling, hair gels and sprays for a couple of weeks
So now you have gained ample knowledge regarding Holi skin and hair care tips. To make the most of Holi this year make sure to be mindful of all the Holi tips for skin and hair care!
Additional Precautionary Tips For Holi Skin Care & Hair Care
Both before and after Holi skincare as also hair care should be a priority for almost everyone. Besides, we also need to remember some more do-s and don’t-s surrounding pre and post-Holi skincare and hair care. Some of these are listed below:
- Try using colours that are natural, organic and friendly to your skin and hair
- Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes
- You may wear dental caps to prevent your teeth from accidental staining
- Use a good quality cleansing milk instead of using soap, if somebody has applied permanent dyes on your hair or your exposed skin
- Avoid playing with colours if you are allergic to them and this one is perhaps the most important among all the skincare tips for Holi
- Don’t hesitate to visit the doctor’s chamber in case any skin problems crop up
An occasion as joyful as Holi should be an occasion for unadulterated enjoyment. It is important to take proper care of your skin and hair, especially during Holi to protect them from any kind of harm. So, if you follow all the Holi tips for skin and hair, you can enjoy the occasion to the fullest without worries.