The summer heat is often unforgiving and leaves a lot of people with various problems such as rashes, heat strokes, and weaknesses. One of the major problems, which though common in kids is prevalent in adults as well, is prickly heat. Also commonly known as heat rash, this Prickly heat, is a common feature of the summer season. It causes a prickly, itchy, or burning sensation that leads to irritated skin and raised bumps on the skin. Heat rash mainly arises mainly due to sweat pores getting blocked due to excessive sweating. This medical problem is bound to affect any region of your body but it specifically comes up on the neck near your genitals and under the arms, where major sweat pores exist.
Prickly heat symptoms include red bumps on the skin, excessively itchy skin, reddening rashes, and blisters. These symptoms, while treatable, need to be noticed and taken care of immediately. While prickly heat rash may be a common phenomenon, there is a variety of reasons why these could occur. These are both common and uncommon reasons that all lead to the same prickly heat causes of excessive body heat and/or excessive sweating that triggers rashes.
5 Common Causes Of Prickly Heat Rash
- Hot and humid environment.
- Immature sweat ducts in newborns and children often rupture easily and hence clock sweat beneath the skin leading to heat rashes.
- Excessive sweating due to intense exercise is another common cause of heat rashes.
- Overheating due to heavy eating, dressing warmly, or sleeping under thick blankets could also cause heat rashes quickly.
- Heat rashes could also occur in those who are confined to bed for long periods especially with a fever.
While heat rashes give a lot of problems and an annoying feeling, they often go away with simple techniques to cool them down. This article will help you to unlock some effective home remedies for prickly heat to help both adults and children.
6 Effective Home Remedies For Prickly Heat Rash
1. Cold Compression
An ice pack is a simple yet most effective way of dealing with heat rashes. Simply apply an ice pack or cold cloth to the affected area to reduce redness and itching. However, while doing this ensure that the ice is not left on the affected area for long periods of time. As a rule of thumb, apply this ice compression for 5-7 minutes and then remove for almost the same amount of time and reapply. Continue this cycle multiple times at once and in the day to help you get rid of the heat rashes quickly. Cold compression is in fact one of the best prickly heat treatment for babies since it does not experiment with their skin directly.
This simple kitchen ingredient is another very effective way of dealing with prickly heat rash. Besan has natural properties to work as a great skin cleanser. It clears off the dirt clogging any pores and exfoliates dead skin cells. Because of this natural property, it gives immediate relief from the itching and prickling of the heat rashes. All you need to do is make a paste of flour and water and apply it over the affected areas. Leave this mix on the affected skin for 15 minutes and rinse well with cool water. A regular application of this pack is sure to give you clear skin.
Oatmeal is yet another everyday household item that is sure to reduce the redness and itching of a heat rash. It is very helpful to treat various skin problems due to its richness in Avenanthramides which is high in antioxidant properties. Soak oatmeal for about 20 minutes in warm water and apply as a pack on the affected areas or soak oatmeal in a lukewarm batch and then step into this batch for some time to cool off the rashes. Make sure this is lukewarm water since hot water can further irritate your rashes. Not only will oatmeal cleanse your skin but also moisturize it well to give you your great skin back.
Yes! This beloved vegetable is also great at cleansing and soothing the skin. It helps reduce the itchy and prickly sensation of prickly heat rash, cleanses it to an extent, and is also a great emollient. Simply, slice some potato and apply it over the affected skin. Let it stay for at least 15 minutes and then rinse the area well with cold water. Repeating this 2-3 times in the day for a few days is sure to give you supple and clear skin.
Another easily available household ingredient, yoghurt gives a great cooling and soothing feeling to the affected regions. When you apply cold yoghurt to the affected prickly heat regions for about 15 minutes, it helps the region heal quicker. Yoghurt has natural anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties that help you get natural and unclogged skin within a few minutes. Repeat this application for a few days and the results will be great.
Sandalwood is known to have anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. These are best at relieving one of the symptoms of heat rash quickly. Mix some sandalwood powder with cold water and apply it to prickly heat on the face or other affected regions for an immediate soothing effect. Apart from the cooling effect, sandalwood also leaves a lovely aroma. The natural oils in sandalwood also help you get rid of a suntan and protects you naturally from the harmful rays of the sun which is imperative to keep your heat rash under control. One should however be sure about any skin reactions before using sandalwood as prickly heat treatment for babies since their skin is extremely sensitive to such products.
These home remedies for prickly heat are great for people of any age. Because of the easy availability of most of these ingredients, these remedies become quick to soothe the annoyance of a heat rash. However, in some cases, heat rashes may not settle down quickly or within some days. In that situation consulting with a medical professional is absolutely necessary to get the correct and timely prickly heat rash treatment.
When To Seek Medical Help?
1. The Rash Spreads All Over Your Body
In this case, it is best to not wait and continue trying homemade recipes. Something so massive could indicate a major infection or allergic reaction and hence needs immediate medical attention.
2. Painful Rashes
Another important sign that the rash may be a major infection is if it becomes painful. This is an elevated situation that needs immediate medical evaluation.
3. Additional Symptoms
If along with the rash you have a fever, sore throat, muscle ache or any flu-like symptoms you must visit a doctor immediately. This could be due to an allergic reaction or another medical problem and not just a heat rash.
4. Lasts For A Longer Duration
If the rash does not go away even after a week of home treatment medical evaluation is suggested. Prickly heat on the face is especially necessary to be checked if it does not go off soon.
5. Infected Rash
Oozing bumps, pus, white or yellowish fluid, increased pain, and swelling are all symptoms of an infected rash. This could be due to allergic reactions or reactions to some foods or insects and not just a simple heat rash. Hence, visit a doctor right away could be helpful.
5 Preventive Measures Against Prickly Heat
These discussed symptoms should be an alarming feature to know that medical intervention is needed. And now that you know what to do when heat rashes occur, check out a few quick tips to ensure you keep yourself away from heat rashes completely.
- Loose Cotton Clothing: Light-colored and loose cotton clothes are the best wear during the summers. Wearing loose clothes allows the air to circulate around the body, keeping it cool and clean. Synthetic clothes on the other hand reduce the air circulation and hence make the heat barely bearable.
- Keep Your Skin Dry: In the hot season, never leave the skin damp. Dry your skin thoroughly and if possible powder to keep your skin dry and cool at all times.
- Keep Yourself Hydrated: The hot temperature drains you out and also triggers prickly heat rashes. To avoid heat rashes and many more problems, it is important to drink lots of fluids. Natural drinks such as buttermilk and coconut water are the best to keep your body cool and keep your skin fresh. Alcoholic or aerated drinks may keep you cool but may not be the healthiest of choices from a long-term perspective.
- Avoid Physical Exertion: Exercising outdoors during the coolest part of the day and indoors during the rest is the best choice to ensure your body remains cool and hence away from heat rashes.
- Cold Baths And Shower: Another quick way to cool your body is a cold bath or shower. Using a gentle exfoliation agent is a great way to unblock the pores. Shop for coffee body scrub at the Red Dot Shop which will give you a spa-like pampering experience in the comfort of home.
The summers can be brutal but by taking care of few things you could ensure a safe and enjoyable time even during this season. Stay indoors as much as possible and ensure dry and clean skin at all times to avoid any type of rash or allergy. This seemingly minor inconvenience could resolve itself in a few days with the right home remedies for prickly heat but talk to your doctor if it does not go away or if you get in an extremely discomforting situation.