Find yourself staring at your eyes in the mirror, trying to decipher the mystery behind your puffy eyes. First, you aren’t alone. Second, relax. We know what you can do about it.
Eye bags are nothing but puffiness under the eyes that appear with advancing age. Just like breasts, the tissues and muscles surrounding the eyes lose their elasticity. This causes puffy eyes that make us look like we haven’t slept in centuries.
What Causes Eye Bags?
The most common reason for eye bags is genetics. Chances are that if you constantly have severely puffy eyes, you may have inherited them from your parents and grandparents. A few common causes of eye bags are:
- Water retention
- Sun exposure
- Chronic fatigue
- Lack of sleep
Now that we know what causes these pesky eye bags, let’s take a look at some effective home remedies for eye bags.
10 Impressive Home Hacks For Puffy Eyes
1. Use Tea Bags To Get Rid Of Eye Bags
Tea contains caffeine, and caffeine is great for puffy eyes. The powerful antioxidants in tea increase blood flow. For instance, green tea is known for its anti-inflammatory properties. So next time you are sipping some hot tea, grab a couple and use them to treat under eye bags.
- Soak two tea bags in water for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Refrigerate for a few minutes.
- Take them out and squeeze out the excess water.
- Put them on your closed eyes and relax.
- Do this for 15 minutes, twice a week.
2. Hydrate Yourself To Keep Puffiness In Eyes At Bay
Dehydration is your skin’s enemy and the skin around the eyes is its favourite target. It causes the skin to wrinkle up and lose its elasticity. Up your intake of water, drink at least 9 cups a day. Try water infused with fruit or lemon to change it up. Flavoured water works as well.
3. Try Coconut Oil For Eye Bags
Coconut oil has been an age-old remedy for most skin problems. It is an effective way to get rid of the bothersome bags under the eyes. Its moisturising quality helps minimise eye bags and being anti-inflammatory, it combats puffy eyes. A coconut oil massage is a great way to go. Here’s how:
- Take some cold-pressed coconut oil.
- Massage it gently around your eyes in a circular motion.
- Use clean fingers and move them clockwise and then counter-clockwise.
- Leave the oil on overnight.
4. Utilise Spoons To Eliminate Puffiness In The Eyes
Reduce puffiness in the under-eye area with cold metal spoons. Steel spoons work the best as they help relax the blood vessels. They also reduce swelling.
- Place two teaspoons in a refrigerator for half an hour.
- Lay down and place the spoons, curve side down, on your eyes.
- Keep them on for 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Repurpose Coffee Grounds To Get Rid Of Eye Bags
Just like tea, the caffeine in coffee is a potent puffy eye remedy. Combine coffee with black pepper, which is naturally full of antioxidant properties. The combination helps protect your skin from sun damage. Just make sure to avoid direct eye contact.
Here’s what to do:
- Mix ½ teaspoon of coffee grounds, a pinch of black pepper powder and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Apply this carefully around your eyes. Do not let it come in contact with the eyes directly.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes.
- Wipe away and see the difference.
6. Take Out Those Trusted Cucumbers To Get Rid Of Eye Bags
Every 90s makeover scene in a movie has a shot wherein the female lead has a face pack on with cucumber slices on her eyes. Chilled slices of cucumbers have been a part of skincare and facials forever. Cucumbers have a cooling effect that reduces swelling. They help get rid of wrinkles and dark circles too.
- Place slices of cucumber in the refrigerator.
- Take them out after 15 minutes and place them on your eyes.
- Relax and let them do their magic.
7. Apply Aloe Vera To Eliminate Puffiness In Eyes
Full of essential vitamins and antioxidants, aloe vera has made a comeback into the skincare world, with a bang. It has an anti-ageing effect and tones the skin. Use this wonderful plant to get rid of puffy eyes. You’ll need aloe vera gel and use it like this:
- Massage aloe vera gel under your eyes.
- Let it dry for 10 minutes.
- Wipe off the excess, if any.
8. Pull Out The Potatoes To Eliminate Puffiness In Eyes
Your favourite vegetable is one of the best home remedies for puffy eyes. The vitamin C and enzymes in potatoes make the skin look younger.
What do you have to do?
- Peel and grate a medium-sized potato.
- Collect the shavings and put them in a cotton cloth.
- Place this over your eyes for 15 minutes.
9. Wear Sunscreen To Protect The Skin Around The Eyes
The skin around our eyes is the softest and most highly sensitive. It gets damaged by sun exposure pretty easily. The latest pair of shades may look cool, but they aren’t much of a help when it comes to eye bags. The best way to protect your eyes is by applying sunscreen. Get a sunscreen that stays put, doesn’t budge and works well with your skin type.
10. Remove Your Makeup Every Night
It can get tiring to take off makeup after you’ve had a long day or you have just come home from an awesome party. We all struggle with it! But a big reason for swelling, puffiness, and darkness around the eyes is makeup. Taking off your eye makeup before bed can make a huge difference.
Include this in your night routine:
- Wipe off all eye makeup with micellar water from an oil-based makeup remover.
- Use cotton pads and be gentle.
- Wash your face with a deep cleanser.
- Don’t forget to moisturise your face.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What is the best product for under-eye bags in India?
A. While home remedies work like magic, you may want to try a few products. Some of the best products are Himalaya Herbals Under Eye Cream, The Body Shop Vitamin E Eyes Cube, Clinique All About Eyes Rich and Biotique Bio Seaweed Revitalising Anti Fatigue Eye Gel.
Q. How do I depuff my eyes quickly?
A. Though there are many options to get rid of puffiness, using cold spoons is the most effective one. Placing cold spoons on your eyes gets rid of puffy eyes instantly. Simply press them on your eyes gently. Make sure to use clean, rinsed spoons.
Q. How can I tighten the skin under my eyes?
A. Surgery is the best way to go if you suffer from severe under-eye wrinkles, sagging skin, or heavy puffiness under your eyes. Blepharoplasty (lower eyelid surgery) removes excess fat and sagging skin. This helps to tighten and smooth the remaining skin under the eyes.
Here are some amazing red wine benefits for skin, add this to your skincare routine now.