The truth is, frizz happens—especially if you’re a curly-haired girl. One day you can wake up with the perfect bouncy ringlets and the next day can have gravity-defying coils making a beeline towards the sky. So how do you make your curls..foolproof? Guarantee a good hair day, every day! Well, a girl can dream.
The Channel 46 decided to rope in the experts at Fix My Curls to detangle this mystery. A brand dedicated to textured and curly hair types, if you love your curly crowning glory, here’s their advice to tame that frizz.
5 Causes Of Frizz In Curly Hair & 5 Products To Fix Them
1. Your Hair Is Parched & Lacks Moisture
Curly hair tends to be drier or lacks adequate moisture simply because of the shape of the curls. They’re lifted and sit away from the scalp. This makes them prone to environmental damage and dehydration, and it also makes it tougher for the sebum (natural oils) on the scalp to get distributed towards the ends. While brushing your curls is one way to spread the oil across the hair shaft, this can make your curls frizzy. Your best bet is to use hair products that deliver hydration to your curls and lock in that moisture.
Fix My Curls – Curl Quenching Hair Butter
This lightweight Curl Quenching Hair Butter is fortified with moisture to impart much-needed nutrition to your lifeless, rough, and frizzy curls.
How To Use It:
- Take a coin-sized quantity of the hair butter on dripping wet or damp hair to make the most of the benefits of the product.
- Before you apply, divide your strands into 2 or 3 sections. Alternatively, you can spread the product by rubbing your palms together and applying it evenly to your hair.
- Style away from the roots, so that there is no product buildup.
- Finally, use a wide-toothed styling brush to evenly spread out the butter through your hair strands.
Price: Rs 865 (200gm); Buy here.
2. You Are Using The Wrong Hair Styling Tools
Air drying is your best friend and flat irons are your worst enemy. Flat irons will work against the natural texture of your hair, so instead, use a diffuser, or even better, a curling iron or tong with barrels the same size as your natural curls. Focus on styling your strands instead of overworking the hair close to the scalp because the crown of the hair is most prone to frizz. A game-changing addition is to apply a heat protection serum or leave-in cream that will help give that textured scrunch to your curls while also protecting them from heat damage.
Fix My Curls – Leave-In Cream
This Leave-In Cream is enriched with rich butters and oils—exactly what your curly and wavy tresses need to keep them well hydrated despite the use of hair styling tools.
How To Use It:
- Use it on soaking-wet hair. Divide your hair into two or more manageable sections.
- Apply 2-3 pumps of the product to each section of your hair. Got a wavier hair texture? Mix 4 pumps of the cream thoroughly in a bowl of water before dabbing it on your strands.
- Add water to enable the product to get absorbed by your hair strands.
- Flip your hair upside-down so that it hangs in front of you. Hold the blow dryer to the tips of your strands. Make sure that the diffuser is attached to the blow dryer while it’s in use.
- Lift the blow dryer close to your scalp while the strands are still held on by the dryer. This means that your hair will move upwards in the process.
- Next, repeat the same procedure with your hands.
- Follow the above steps repeatedly till you’ve done the same for each of your strands. This upward scrunch technique is what will define the shape of your natural curls. So, don’t skip it.
- Flip your hair back and notice the difference in your strands. Let the cream stay and work its magic rather than wash it out.
Price: Rs 935 (250ml); Buy here.
3. Your Products Are Not Suited For Curly Hair
The biggest and most common mistake is when curly-haired girls use regular haircare products. Your hair texture and makeup are different than others and therefore, have very different needs when it comes to cleansing and conditioning. Curly hair shampoos and conditioners packed with nourishing oils are the keys to frizz-free curls. These oils with their good fats hydrate your curly strands while still cleaning out the sweat and grime from your scalp.
Fix My Curls – Cleanse & Condition Bundle
Sulphate and silicone-free, the key ingredients in the shampoo are apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil and rosemary oil. The hydrating conditioner is based on honey, mango butter, goji berries, and Nigella sativa seed oil.
How To Use The Cleansing Shampoo:
- Massage 2-3 pumps of this on your scalp and clean the base using circular motions with your fingers.
- As you rinse it off let it soak your lengths and cleanse them gently.
- Do not rub the shampoo all over your hair in an attempt to keep them clean, shampoo is best used on your scalp and root area, the rest of your hair washes itself during rinsing!
How To Use The Hydrating Conditioner:
- Pump as much as needed to cover your roots to your lengths and wash them off in 5 minutes for a quick condition.
- To deep condition, leave it in for 20-30 minutes with a shower cap on, and a heat cap for added moisture, and then rinse off as per usual.
- Use a wide-tooth comb or your fingers to detangle your curls before you step out of the shower.
Price: Rs 885 (100ml pack of 2); Buy here.
4. Your Styling Products Don’t Have Enough Hold
Not just any mousse, gel or cream will do the trick when it comes to styling your curls, especially if you want them to last all day. If you’ve gone through the steps and done everything right, yet still find that your curls are frizzy or open out in a few hours, chances are that your styling product isn’t heavy-duty enough. And by heavy duty, we don’t mean that it should be laden with chemicals; it simply means that your hair styling product needs to have a richer and higher moisture content to tame your frizz for longer hours.
Fix My Curls With Hair-Defining Gel
This hair-defining gel is packed with sunflower oil, vanilla bean extract and soy protein. It acts like a protective cast around your curly strands, maintaining the sheen and defined shape for days and keeping frizz away. The protein strengthens your hair, preventing breakage and split ends.
How To Use It:
- Take 2-4 pumps of this gel and apply it all over your hair, keeping your hands together (praying hands motion), and then scrunch it in as you did with the leave-in cream.
- Once your hair dries, take 1-2 drops of lightweight oil, and scrunch your hair to break the gel cast for fluffier, bouncier curls if you don’t like them too defined. This process is also known as SOTC—Scrunching out the crunch.
Price: Rs 690 (250ml); Buy here.
5. Your Bedding Needs Fixing
Surprisingly, switching to a satin or silk pillowcase is a big step in taming your frizzy curls. Why? Because the fibres in cotton pillowcases tend to be rough and cause friction in your strands as you toss and turn through the night while you sleep. Interesting, right?
Fix My Curls – Italian Satin Pillow Cases
Satin pillowcases or even a scarf, head cover, or cap made of satin is ideal for curly hair girls. These satin cases won’t just prevent frizz and friction but avoid overnight breakage too.
How To Maintain Your Satin Pillowcase:
- Hand wash once a week with gentle detergent and cold water.
- Air dry your satin case instead of tumble drying to prevent damaging the fabric fibres.
Price: Rs 699 for 1 Italian Satin Pillowcase; Buy here.
5 Quick Tips To Prevent Frizz In Curly & Textured Hair
- Use a hair mask every weekend to nourish and hydrate your curls.
- Don’t layer too many products; it will weigh your curls down.
- Comb and detangle your curls when they’re wet; dry brushing them will cause frizz.
- Don’t over-shampoo your hair—twice a week is sufficient for most curly-haired girls.
- Reset and refresh your curls using only your hands and fingers, once or twice every day.
From one Curl Boss to another, for all your curly hair needs, head on over to Fix My Curls and explore their extensive haircare range, customised and best-suited for textured and curly hair types.
Open up like never before and participate in conversations about beauty, entrepreneurship, mental health, menstrual & sexual health, and more. Desi women, join our community NOW!