The Channel 46

Psychologist Tripti Vaid Shares Advice On Dealing With An ADHD Child As A Parent

1. What is ADHD & how does it affect kids?

‘ADHD’ is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, which is a neurodevelopmental disorder. Children with ADHD may have trouble paying attention, may be overly active or have trouble controlling impulsive behaviour (may act without thinking about what the result will be).

2. At what age are ADHD symptoms most likely to appear & how do you know your child may be susceptible to it?

The causes and risk factors for ADHD are unknown, but current research shows that genetics plays an important role. Recent studies of twins link genes with ADHD. Other factors that are being researched are brain injury, premature birth, low birth weight, or alcohol and tobacco use during pregnancy.

3. What are the common symptoms of ADHD in children?

It is normal for children to have trouble focusing or behaving at one point to another. However, children with ADHD don’t just grow out of this behaviour. The symptoms can continue, they can be severe and can cause impaired functionality at school or at home, or with the peer group. The common symptoms of ADHD are to show a persistent pattern of inattention and/or hyperactivity-impulsivity that interferes with functioning or development.

4. What are the early signs your child may have ADHD?

Early signs of a child with ADHD might be: – Daydreaming a lot – Forgetting or losing things a lot – Squirming or fidgety – Talking too much – Making careless mistakes or take unnecessary risks – Having a hard time resisting temptation – Having trouble taking turns

5. How soon should you take your child to the doctor if he/she exhibits symptoms? Which healthcare professional should you visit?

If one is concerned about whether a child may have ADHD, the first person they should talk to is the paediatrician to find out about the symptoms. Once the pediatrician observes the child, he himself may refer the family to a psychologist/psychiatrist. The diagnosis can ONLY be made by a mental health professional like a psychologist or a psychiatrist.

The Channel 46

Click Learn More to read the full article.