1. Be Open & Listen If and when a friend reaches out to you, listen. If you are busy at the moment, pencil in some time and call/meet them.
2. Process Before Your Speak Carefully listen and understand all the information. Once you have it, ask for a minute to process it instead of reacting spontaneously.
3. Reel In The Questions It is natural to want to know everything and ask a thousand questions. But you need to be respectful of your friend’s mental state.
4. Offer Help Only If Asked Avoid offering unsolicited advice. Most people who share such information either have a plan in place or are thinking about seeking professional help.
5. Encourage Them To Seek Help Unless you are a certified therapist, you need to encourage your friend to seek professional help.