What Is Endometriosis?
Endometriosis is a disorder that is associated with the uterus. It occurs when a tissue usually similar to the tissue called endometrium, which lines the inner surface of the endometrium, grows outside the uterus. The medical condition is generally related to the fallopian tubes, ovaries, and the tissue lining your pelvis. Endometrial-like tissue is rarely found beyond the region where the pelvic organs are located.
This endometrial-like tissue behaves like an endometrial tissue. It breaks down, thickens, and bleeds during every menstrual cycle. However, it remains trapped in the body because there is no scope for exit. When the health condition involves the ovaries, it may lead to the development of cysts called endometriomas. This condition can irritate the surrounding tissue. It can also lead to the development of scar tissue and adhesions, which are bands of fibrous tissue that can make organs and pelvic tissues stick to one another. Endometriosis can cause pain, at times severe, more specifically during period. It may also lead to fertility problems.
A Close Look At The Required Diet For Endometriosis
There is no reliable data yet that firmly establishes that prevent the development of symptoms of endometriosis or keep them under control. A 2004 study published in Human Reproduction indicates that the consumption of red meat raises the risk of developing this medical condition among women, while the consumption of fruits and green vegetables is closely related to reducing the risk. The same study did not find any association between endometriosis and alcohol, coffee, or milk. More in-depth studies are required to determine whether diet plays a significant role in the development of the medical condition.
1. Stay Away From Foods That Cause Inflammation
To start with, it is advised that you keep foods that lead to inflammation at bay. Such foods are refined sugars, dairy products, processed foods, carbohydrates, and caffeine. Keep a tab on how your body’s reaction to the lack of intake of these foods. Not just these, also eliminate the intake of soy, alcohol, and other foods that are packed with oestrogen to counter their oestrogenic effects. You may also need to undergo allergy tests to analyse the type of foods that cause inflammation in your body.
Here’s a close look at the list of anti-inflammatory foods:
- Pok Chow
- Bone broth
- Chia seeds
- Coconut oil
- Flax seeds
2. Welcome Magnesium-Rich Foods
These foods reduce pain in the uterus. The source of such foods include:
- Sunflower seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Black beans
3. Say ‘Hello’ To Omega-3 Foods
Omega-3 foods are a leading source of anti-inflammation. They are recommended not just for endometriosis, but for controlling muscle and joint pain, and regulate hormone production as well. The food sources are:
- Chia seeds
- Flax seeds
4. Include Iron-Rich Foods
Foods rich in iron are essential because they are adept at replenishing the loss of iron in the body, as a result of excessive bleeding. And women are already known to be iron-deficient in most cases. Iron-rich foods are as below:
- Blacck beans
- Egg yolk
5. Say ‘Hi’ To High-Fibre Foods
High-fibre foods are especially essential for those suffering from constipation as a symptom of endometriosis. Such foods include:
- Brown rice
- Brussel sprouts
B complex is known to balance hormone levels. B vitamins control toxicity in the body, helping in effective cellular function. They maintain balance in the organs of the body and boost immunity. That apart, it is also beneficial for the overall health. There are various supplements that are available in pharmacies but they should be had only as per the recommendation of a healthcare expert.
7. Essential Oils
Here are essential oils that are beneficial for endometriosis:
- Castor Oil – This may soothe digestion and boost immunity. This oil can be applied on lower abdomen and pelvic areas to control inflammation and pain caused due to the health condition.
- Clary Sage – The topical application of this oil may help reduce cramping and pain. It may also play an essential role in balancing hormones. You can apply 2 to 4 drops of this oil on your abdomen and then apply a warm compress over the area to bring relief to the pain.
These above oils can be applied to help with the medical condition.
- Endometriosis is a disorder that is associated with the uterus. It occurs when a tissue usually similar to the tissue called endometrium, which lines the inner surface of the endometrium, grows outside the uterus.
- The health condition usually involves the fallopian tubes, ovaries, and the tissue lining your pelvis
- The pain usually occurs during menstrual period
- A study indicated that the intake of fruits and green vegetables keep the symptoms of endometriosis under control, while red meat aggravates the symptoms
- Staying away from foods that cause inflammation, magnesium-rich foods, iron-rich foods, high-fibre foods, and Omega-3 foods should be an essential part of an endometriosis diet
- Essential oils like castor oil and clary sage can be applied for pain relief
- Vitamin B supplements may act as a pain relief, although they should be taken only after being prescribed by a doctor
Endometriosis demands following a strict diet to keep the pain and other symptoms under check. Follow the food sources recommended above to keep the symptoms under control.
Disclaimer: Please consult a healthcare practitioner before undertaking any lifestyle change.
Open up like never before and participate in conversations about beauty, entrepreneurship, mental health, menstrual & sexual health, and more. Desi women, join our community NOW!