Keto diet has been a successful option for several people but many struggle with breakfast. Busy mornings don’t leave enough time to prepare elaborate meals. Luckily, there are tons of keto breakfast recipes that are quick and filling. We have added Indian, vegetarian-friendly options to the mix that will help you start your day with a protein fix.
8 Low-Calorie Keto Breakfast Recipes That Are Worth A Try
1. Keto Cauliflower Upma
If you’re looking for a keto breakfast Indian style dish, one of the go-to recipes is the cauliflower upma. It is filled with the nutrition of cauliflowers; so cook and serve this one piping hot for a breakfast with low carbs.
Time Required: 20 minutes
Servings: 1 cup
Nutritional Value: Calories: 199kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Fibre: 2g
- 1 cup of cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons ghee or butter or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 5 curry leaves (kadipatta)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 1 green chili
- ¼ cup of salted peanuts
- Fresh coriander leaves, for garnish
- Break the cauliflower into small florets and transfer it to a food processor. Blend it until it’s broken down to small rice-sized pieces.
- In a frying pan, heat ghee and add cumin and mustard seeds (jeera and rai).
- Add onions, ginger, curry leaves, chillies, peanuts, and salt. Fry until onions turn brown.
- Add the cauliflower and mix well.
- Add water and close it with a lid to cook for 10 minutes.
- Keep stirring and cook until the water is evaporated.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve hot.
2. Dal Fritters/Chillas
Another tasty yet healthy keto breakfast Indian style dish is dal fritters commonly known as chillas in India. It packs a good amount of protein and can be prepared in a jiffy.
Time Required: 1.5 hours
Nutritional Value: Calories: 128kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 7.5g | Fat: 1.6g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Fibre: 3.2g
- 2 tablespoons coriander (chopped)
- ¼ teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- ¼ teaspoon chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon ginger paste (adrak)
- 1 teaspoon green chilli paste (hari mirch)
- 2½ tablespoons black lentils (kaali dal)
- ¼ cup each of yellow and green moong dal
- Soak all three dals in hot water for one hour and drain them.
- Add water and blend them till smooth.
- Pour it into a bowl and add all the remaining ingredients to it.
- On a hot pan, pour one large spoon of batter and spread it like a dosa.
- Add oil around it and flip both sides for it to cook evenly.
3. Porridge (Sweet Daliya)
Low carb porridge is a hearty breakfast that’s oats-free that can be made easily on a stove or microwave. This keto breakfast substitutes oats with coconut or almond flour for a more healthy low carb meal.
Time Required: 5 minutes
Nutritional Value: Calories: 345kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 28.5g | Fibre: 9g | Sugar: 1.4g
- ¾ cup of water
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee
- 2 tablespoons almond flour or coconut flour
- 1 large egg, beater
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal (alsi)
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream or coconut milk
- ¼ teaspoon sugar substitute or any kind of sweetener
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a small pot add water, coconut flour, flaxseed (alsi) and salt and heat it until the mixture thickens.
- Remove the mixture from heat and slowly whisk in the egg. Once added, place it back on medium heat till it thickens further.
- Remove from heat and add the butter, cream and sweetener.
- Top it with vanilla extract and nuts of your choice.
4. Overnight Oats
If you are looking for a low carb breakfast vegetarian style option, you cannot go wrong with keto overnight oats. Just substitute oats with nutritional seeds and you have a breakfast option on the go.
Time Required: 5 minutes
Nutritional Value: Calories: 615kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 61g | Fibre: 8g
- 1 cup of unsweetened coconut milk or almond milk
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed (alsi)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 pinch salt
- Mix all ingredients in a small saucepan and boil. Simmer until desired thickness is reached.
- Top with butter and cinnamon (dalchini) or cut bananas.
5. Green Smoothie
Keto shakes are tricky as most shakes have loads of sugar in them. You can supercharge this green smoothie by adding avocados and making a keto avocado smoothie. This simple recipe just needs four ingredients and is ready in a few minutes.
Time Required: 5 minutes
Nutritional Value: Calories: 243kcal | Carbohydrates: 5.7g | Protein: 3.3g | Fat: 22.9g | Fibre: 2g
- 5-6 leaves chopped spinach
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- ¼ cup of sweetener
- 1 cup of peeled cucumber
- 1 large avocado (optional)
- Puree all ingredients in a blender, until smooth.
- Adjust sweetener to taste as needed.
6. Keto Frankie
Our low carb frankie is an inside-out keto breakfast burrito. It has eggs as a wrap for a warm breakfast filled with salsa and cheese.
Time Required: 10 minutes
Nutritional Value: Calories: 366kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Sodium: 728mg | Fibre: 0g | Sugar: 3g
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 slices of meat
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon sauce/salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon oil/butter
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: Avocado/Guacamole
- Put butter on a non-stick pan at medium heat.
- Whisk 2 eggs, milk, and salt & pepper in a bowl.
- Pour the mixture on the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and layer it with slices of meat, cheese, sauces and any other toppings of your choice and carefully roll it up for serving a yummy keto breakfast.
Who knew even cereal could be modified into a keto breakfast cereal? Filled with vitamins and healthy fats this meal will power you throughout the day.
Time Required: 35 minutes
Nutritional Value: Calories: 432kcal | Carbohydrates: 12.6g | Protein: 13.8g | Fat: 39.2g | Saturated Fat: 8.8g | Sodium: 232mg | Potassium: 377mg | Fibre: 9.4g | Sugar: 2.1g | Calcium: 183mg | Iron: 4mg
- Cooking oil
- 1 cup of almonds (chopped)
- 1 cup of walnuts (chopped)
- 1 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¼ cup of sesame seeds (til)
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds (alsi)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground clove (laung)
- 1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (dalchini)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg white
- ¼ cup of melted coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a baking sheet with cooking oil. In a large bowl, mix together almonds, walnuts, coconut flakes, sesame seeds (til), flax seeds (alsi), and chia seeds. Stir in cloves (laung), cinnamon (dalchini), vanilla, and salt.
- Beat egg white until foamy then stir into granola. Add coconut oil and stir until everything is well coated.
- Pour onto the prepared baking sheet and spread into an even layer.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden, gently stirring halfway through. Let cool completely.
8. Keto Mushroom Omelette
Eggs are a go-to ingredient in most keto breakfast recipes. This mushroom omelette is a breakfast with low carb option that has a huge dose of protein without the unhealthy carbs.
Time Required: 15 minutes
Nutritional Value: Calories: 517kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 44g |
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, for frying
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheese
- ¼ yellow onion, chopped
- 4 large mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- Whisk the eggs into a mixing bowl with a pinch of salt and pepper until smooth and frothy.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan, over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and onion to the pan, stirring until tender, and then pour in the egg mixture, surrounding the veggies.
- When the omelette begins to cook and get firm, sprinkle cheese over the egg and you’re ready to serve your breakfast with low carbs.
Whether it’s a keto smoothie or a breakfast filled with eggs; these recipes will ensure that you have a scrumptious meal that adheres to your diet. Who said following a diet has to be tough or filled with tasteless meals? With this list of keto breakfast dishes, keep your carbs low while being full all morning.