Has perpetual exhaustion become a nagging part of your life? And do you fail to identify a specific cause behind this tiredness? Well, you are not alone. Considering the shenanigans of this fast-paced world, feeling energy-drained and worn-out is quite common. But the tricky part is recognising the early signs and the reason behind this lethargy. Because before you even know it, this drained-out state has become a chronic condition, troubling the sanctity of your overall health.
Fatigue is a feeling which is typically marked by a lack of energy and motivation. A person suffering from fatigue will feel worn out, lethargic, weary, and exhausted.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) is a disorder that causes extreme tiredness which refuses to go away by taking rest. It most commonly occurs in women. The key solution for chronic fatigue syndrome treatment is to manage the solutions. And we are giving you ways to do just that.
However, people who are suffering from fatigue generally have three main complaints.
3 Commonly Faced Symptoms Of Fatigue
1. They lack the motivation to begin an activity, take up a new task or simply leave the bed in the morning
2. They feel tired and drained, both physically and mentally, as soon as they indulge in some sort of activity. It becomes equally tough for them to complete a task.
3. They fail to concentrate on tasks, have issues with memorisation and retention. The person has mental fatigue or difficulty with concentration and memory to start or complete an activity.
6 Different Types Of Fatigue You Should Be Aware Of:
1. Physical Fatigue
When an individual has to work for long hours or the nature of work involves a lot of physical exertion then they might face physical fatigue. We are not super-humans and have limited capacities, and due to which, it’s pretty common to feel drained and tired after continuously working for longer periods.
Solution: Take breaks, keep yourself hydrated, and stop working the minute you feel that you are overburdening yourself.
2. Mental Fatigue
If you are investing your mind and intellectual capacity into some work for a prolonged period of time, then mental fatigue is likely to occur. At times, doing the same type of work over and over again or indulging in something which is mentally strenuous will result in mental fatigue.
Solution: Listening to music or having a hearty conversation with your friends and family can help in reducing mental fatigue.
3. Caffeine Intake
Drinking excessive tea and coffee helps you by providing an instant boost of energy. Soon after, you are more likely to feel even more tired and lethargic. This happens due to frequent changes in blood sugar levels; making you feel irritated, restless, and shaky. Dependency on caffeine leads to insomnia, concentration problems, mood swings, and various other unwanted mental conditions. It is also a leading cause of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
Solution: Instead of drinking beverages have a plate full of food items that are high in protein and fibre as they benefit your health. Avoid long gaps between meals and schedule a few quick snack breaks in your day.
4. Iron Deficiency
Iron deficiency is one of the many fatigue causes. Iron is an important component of our body. It makes a protein called haemoglobin, which is found in red blood cells. Haemoglobin carries oxygen around the body. However, due to iron deficiency, when our body does not have enough haemoglobin, limited oxygen reaches the tissues and muscles. This causes deprivation of energy, and we feel tired.
Solution: Eat more red meat, green vegetables, nuts, and dried fruits.
5. Irregular Sleep Patterns
Lack of sleep or abnormal sleep patterns is one of the main fatigue causes. It also has an unfavourable impact on your overall health. You must get 7 to 8 hours of sleep every day to function properly. Lack of sleep not just makes you tired and irritated, it fogs your mind, making you prone to accidents, and you will find it difficult to concentrate and make decisions.
Solution: Follow a routine, which will normalise your sleep-wake cycle. Try going to bed at a specified time that allows you to get a sound sleep for a good seven to eight hours. Keep your cell phone, television, and other electronic gadgets away. Consult a doctor if your sleep patterns fail to improve.
6. Diet Concerns
Following a healthy and balanced diet is mandatory if you want to keep fatigue at bay. In order to perform both physical and mental activities, your body needs nutrients and calories. Lack of nutrients can leave you feeling lethargic and tired. A balanced diet will keep your body in optimum health and boost energy levels.
Solution: Follow a balanced diet, which should be composed of fruits, vegetables, carbohydrates, and protein. Limit junk food and items that are high in sugar and fat.
6 Common Causes Of Fatigue
Iron deficiency leads to anaemia, which is a common cause of fatigue. Anaemia is a condition in which your body fails to produce enough red blood cells to carry oxygen to your different parts of the body. Feeling tired and weak are the main symptoms of Anaemia.
Recent studies have found that depression is one of the major causes of fatigue and weakness. You need the professional help of a therapist to cure depression as it may not resolve without proper treatment.
The thyroid gland regulates our body’s metabolism. Hypothyroidism is a condition where the person has an under-active thyroid gland. This condition typically causes fatigue, depression, and weight gain. A blood test can reveal if you are suffering from it.
4. Caffeine Overload
Caffeine does help in giving the much-needed energy boost, but too much caffeine causes a number of unwanted physical effects like high blood pressure, palpitation, anxiety, and insomnia. Once this caffeine rush comes to an end, you will feel drained and fatigued. Rather drink more water and bring down the daily consumption of caffeinated beverages.
Diabetes is marked with either high or low blood sugar levels. While low blood sugar indicates that you do not have enough energy or fuel, high blood sugar denotes that they are remaining in the bloodstream and are not getting used for energy. Consult a doctor to find out your ideal diet and learn more about the condition.
Dehydration causes low energy levels and fatigue. Doctors and dietitians recommend that you drink a minimum of 8 to 10 glasses of water per day. Staying properly hydrated will keep your body running at optimum levels.
5 Effective Home Remedies For Fatigue
- Dates are the most effective natural energy booster which will work as a quick fatigue treatment. Soak five to six dates in half a cup of water after removing the seeds. Drink it at least two to three times a week to beat fatigue.
- Herbal remedies like Aloe Vera gel and drumstick leaves are known to cure tiredness. Take a cup of milk and boil two teaspoons of drumstick leaves in it. Thereafter, strain and drink it to get instant relief from lethargy.
- Head massages are the best when it comes to rejuvenating your senses. Massaging your scalp with a few drops of oil increases blood circulation and relaxes your mind.
- Consumption of B-complex vitamins and minerals helps in improving blood circulation and maintaining our overall health. Also, avoid the consumption of junk food.
- Iron deficiency is one of the main causes of fatigue. Hence, consume food that is rich in iron like lentils, beans, green vegetables, nuts, and seeds.
8 Useful Tips To Keep Away From Fatigue
1. Over the years, psychiatrists and psychologists have found that going to bed at a particular time and getting up at a specified time every day helps in battling fatigue. They have also advised against taking naps during the day.
2. Regular exercise or yoga prevents fatigue.
3. Music therapy is an efficient way to tackle fatigue and get rejuvenated.
4. Say “no” to caffeine and smoking. If you feel that your addiction is beyond control, try reducing the intake until you stop altogether. Take professional help if required.
5. Don’t skip meals. Going without food for too long allows blood sugar levels to dip. Try to eat regularly to maintain your energy levels throughout the day.
6. If you are dealing with insomnia, then try some relaxation techniques like focusing on your breathing, listening to some soothing tune, chanting some mantra, and other similar exercises to calm your mind.
7. Address your issues: A lot of people are stressed dealing with demanding jobs, conflicts at home and work, and other stressful situations. It’s crucial that you address such problems and find eclectic solutions for the same. Speak to your loved ones or consult a therapist.
8. Streamlining and prioritising your tasks will spare you a lot of trouble by easing your work burden. Stress can take a toll on your mental and physical energy. Indulge in the finer things of life like going for a spa treatment, spending a good time with friends and family, watching your favourite TV show, reading a book, and similar things along the line which make you feel positive.
9 Early Warning Signs Of Fatigue You Must Keep Thorough Check On
It does not take a lot of time to develop fatigue and convert it into a chronic condition. You can look out for the following fatigue symptoms:
- chronic tiredness or sleepiness
- muscle weakness
- impaired decision-making and judgement
- reduced immune system function
- poor concentration
- low motivation
Introducing lifestyle changes and ensuring the sound functioning of your mind and body are crucial to combat fatigue. It’s never too late to start. Begin with the smallest and easiest steps, and with time, you will witness the positive changes yourself. Remember that consistency is the key to make these fatigue remedies work and attain a healthy life.