Smelly pits, sweaty underarms, and the inevitable body odour. We have all been there. Nerves, exercise, and eating spicy food are all causes of body odour. No one likes smelling bad and there are different ways you can get rid of it.
Sweating is your body’s way of regulating its temperature. The accompanying armpit smell, however, can be a major turn-off. While deodorants and antiperspirants do work, the latest reports suggest that prolonged use can be harmful. This is due to the chemicals they use to make it last longer.
It’s vital to understand that your sweat doesn’t stink. It interacts with the bacteria on your skin and that’s what causes the underarm smell. If you’re wondering how to get rid of body odour, you can try these effective home remedies today.
8 Effective Home Remedies For Body Odour
1. Apple Cider Vinegar To Combat Body Odour
What’s one cooking ingredient that works wonders to combat body odour? Apple cider vinegar! Apple cider vinegar is acidic in nature. This kills bacteria and helps prevent its formation.
- Use a cotton ball to swab some apple cider vinegar on your armpits or other areas.
- Let it dry and you are free to go about your day.
2. Epsom Salt To Get Rid Of Armpit Smell
Epsom salt is the ultimate answer to how to get rid of armpit smell. It is an antioxidant that detoxifies your body. It also aids the production of the happy chemical, Serotonin, helping you relax. This, in turn, makes you sweat less and eliminates body odour. Epsom salt is also an effective remedy for cracked heels.
- Fill up your bathtub with hot water with 2-3 cups of Epsom salt.
- Soak in the bath and relax.
3. Use Fennel Seeds (Saunf) To Prevent Body Odour
We all love a spoonful of saunf post our meals. Saunf promotes the secretion of digestive and gastric juices in your stomach. But did you know that they also act as laxatives and prevent body odour?
- Crush some fennel seeds (saunf) and add that to a cup of water.
- Boil and strain it.
- You can add honey to sweeten it a little.
4. Green Tea To Get Rid Of Underarm Smell
Wondering how to get rid of underarm smell for good? Try green tea which is full of antioxidants. The tannic acid in green tea helps combat body odour. Drinking green tea flushes out the toxins in your body. Applying green tea externally eliminates bacteria by keeping the skin dry.
- Boil some water and add in green tea leaves.
- After it cools down, strain the extract.
- Apply this to the most affected areas.
5. Baking Soda To Combat Smelly Armpits
How to get rid of armpit smell effectively? Use baking soda. It absorbs moisture and prevents sweating. Along with killing bacteria, it alkalizes your body. This neutralises the sharp odour.
- Brush baking soda on the sweat-prone areas.
- Make sure you dust off the extra.
Another easy method you can use;
- Mix baking soda with water to form a paste.
- Apply this to the underarms and other areas.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes then wash it off with warm water.
- Pat dry and get rid of the odour.
6. Rose Water (Gulabjal) To Get Rid Of Armpit Smell
Rosewater (Gulabjal) is a regular when it comes to beauty routines and skincare. But it also works amazingly well in eliminating armpit smell. Being an astringent, it reduces the size of the pores. This helps in decreasing sweat production. And it’s a bonus that rose water smells great!
- Mix rose water with apple cider vinegar.
- Spray this concoction on your underarms.
7. Neem Leaves To Remove Underarm Smell
Want to know what works best for removing underarm smell? Neem leaves, full of antibacterial, antifungal, and antiseptic properties, work just great. Neem leaves eradicate odour-causing bacteria and remove toxins from the body.
- Grind some neem leaves with water to make a fine paste.
- Apply this wherever required.
- Let it dry and then wash it off with warm water.
- Boil neem leaves in water.
- Add this to your bathwater.
8. Arrowroot Powder To Get Rid Of Underarm Smell
Curious about how to get rid of the underarm smell? The solution is simple, it’s arrowroot powder. Commonly used to treat rashes on babies, arrowroot powder has anti-inflammatory qualities. By keeping the skin dry, it prevents the formation of bacteria.
- Apply arrowroot powder on underarms as well as other affected areas.
- Leave it on for the rest of the day.
How To Prevent Body Odour?
Prevention is better than cure, and it’s absolutely true when it comes to acknowledging how to get rid of body odour. Let’s take a look at a few prevention tips.
- Bathing with an antibacterial soap helps prevent the occurrence of body odour.
- Avoid foods like cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, red meat, and certain fish.
- Wash your clothes regularly and avoid the re-use of sweaty clothes.
- Trimming and shaving your armpits will help combat excessive sweating and odour as hair traps moisture.
- Showering frequently, especially after working out, is a great way to get rid of the odour.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What causes body odour even after bathing?
A. Body odour is caused by your sweat interacting with the bacteria on your skin. Proper hygiene helps in preventing that. Regular showers, applying deodorant, and wearing clean clothes regularly can help manage body odour.
Q. What causes body odour?
A. We sweat from our apocrine glands and sweat, naturally, does not stink. When it comes in contact with the bacteria on your skin and in your hair, it creates a foul odour.
Q. Can you smell your own body odour?
A. We can get desensitised to our own body smell. Most of the time, your nose can’t detect your own body odour. Everyone has unique body chemistry and some smell more than others.
Q. What is the best deodorant for body odour?
A. While the above-mentioned home remedies will help many get rid of body odour, using deodorants is a plus. Brands like Nivea, Nike, Fogg, Oriflame, Engage and Cinthol have a variety of deodorants to choose from. Just make sure that the formula suits you and then you are good to go!