Rains bring relief from heat and most importantly, we get to enjoy chai with bhajiyas! But the monsoon season also brings along a variety of skincare issues. This is the time where your skin acts up the most and your usual routine doesn’t work. You end up asking yourself, ‘kare toh kare kya’! There’s a solution and it’s simply to update your monsoon skin care routine.
Monsoon means no more scorching sun and a cooler but humid weather. Rains and humidity can make your skin look dull and expose you to bacterial and fungal infection. You start noticing that your skin gets more oily and when you don’t follow a monsoon skin care routine, it starts getting dryer than usual.
Even though it’s mostly cloudy outside, your monsoon skin care routine should include sunscreen. Sunscreen is important for your skin as sun rays affect your skin no matter the weather. Not only does it prevent your skin from tanning but also prevents skin cancer and ageing. It also improves the quality of your skin over time if used regularly.
Monsoon Skin Care Tips For Oily Skin
- Monsoon skin care for oily skin starts with cleansing your face. Washing your face at least twice a day is a very important thing when your face is oily. The reason is that oily skin tends to attract more dirt and pollution. So wash your face properly with a foaming cleanser. Make sure that you are using something mild as that works the best for your skin type.
- Use neem-based products such as neem face wash and face pack as they are antibacterial. This is particularly helpful for acne-prone oily skin.
- If your face gets oily a lot during the day, washing your face multiple times isn’t the ideal thing to do. That may strip away the natural oils from your face. Instead, use oil blotting tissues as they get the job done without harming your skin in any way. Dab them gently on your face and let it absorb the excess oil. You can also wipe your face with some rosewater on a cotton pad as it is very gentle.
- Use warm water to clean your face over cold because it helps loosen the dirt while keeping your natural hydrating oils safe.
- Use a matte sunscreen. Opting for sunscreens which are cream-based will tend to make your face more oily. So instead, pick a gel-based or water-based sunscreen. This won’t clog your pores and will keep you feeling fresh.
Monsoon Skin Care Tips For Dry Skin
- Keeping yourself hydrated at all times is very important if your skin is dry. Add ‘drink water’ reminders on your phone at regular intervals. It flushes all the toxins from your body which prevents your skin from looking dull.
- Avoid hot showers and opt for cold or lukewarm baths. Hot water damages skin capillaries and makes them weak which ultimately results in an even dryer skin. So make sure that you take cold showers as it constricts the blood flow and gives you a healthier glow.
- To make your skin softer, scrub it at least once a week. Go for scrubs which have moisturising properties as your skin needs some extra nourishment.
- Make moisturiser your best friend. Pick a moisturiser that suits you the best and apply it twice a day or whenever your skin starts feeling dry.
- Use cream-based products instead of gel-based ones as that’s ideal for your skin type. They are more nourishing and hydrating on your skin.
Monsoon Skin Care Tips For Sensitive Skin
- Always patch test all the products you buy. If your skin is sensitive, what works for most people might not work for you. So testing and making sure that your skin isn’t reacting to certain products is a smart thing to do. It will not only save your skin but your money too.
- Sunscreen is a must for you as a part of your monsoon skin care for sensitive skin routine. Go for one which suits your skin and apply it every time before you step outside.
- Use eye cream to take care of your undereye bags and dark circles. Using ghee can be beneficial as it tends to have almost no side effects.
- Use a mild facial cleanser and a light moisturiser. Heavy-duty products packed with tons of ingredients might not suit your sensitive skin.
- Stay away from toners with alcohol in it as your skin might react to it resulting in rashes, redness or itching.
Monsoon Skin Care Tips For Combination Skin
- Use zinc oxide sunscreens as it is gentle on the skin and less likely to cause irritation.
- Use serums to keep your skin hydrated instead of moisturisers. Serums are thinner and lighter so the smaller particles seep into your seamlessly and nourish it from within. Go for AHA and BHA serums which helps improve your skin texture in the longer run.
- Go for clay masks, it helps with oil control on your T-zone. Look for ingredients like charcoal as it has purifying properties. You can also use Multani mitti face packs. Multi-masking is a great way to take care of combination skin.
- Face oils work wonders for your skin type. Choose your favourite face oil and include it in your nighttime skincare routine.
- Using retinol serums will help you accelerate your skin renewal process enhancing the collagen production.
5 Step Monsoon Skin Care Routine That You Must Follow
Skin care in rainy season is a must no matter what your skin type is. So here is a routine you can follow if you are looking for a basic skincare routine to start with. You can add or remove steps or products based on your skin type.
- Wash your face using a mild cleanser and then tap it dry using a towel. Don’t use the same towel you use for your body. Keep your face and body towels separate.
- The next step is to apply a toner. Instead of using a cotton pad to do so, take some in your hand and apply it directly onto your skin. This helps avoid product wastage and gives you the best results.
- Moisturise regularly! Use a moisturiser that best suits your skin and apply it twice a day.
- Use an eye cream for your under eyes as it is gentle and will help keep dark circles away.
- Apply a lip balm on your lips to keep your lips moisturised. For no one likes chapped lips.
As important as skin care in rainy season is, eating right and getting enough sleep is also a must. Exercising regularly and drinking enough water improves the quality of your skin a lot. So follow these tips and your customised monsoon skin care routine to get that glowing skin no matter what season it is.