It’s no secret that all of us have hair, not just on the top of our heads, but on the body and our face as well. Most of it is too small or light to see and is known as peach fuzz. And the amount of hair, its thickness, length, growth and everything else depends on a variety of factors. Genes, hormones, body chemistry and so much more affect body hair.
While many happily sport Kajol-like famous eyebrows or flaunt leg hair just like Rihanna, some prefer removing hair from their body. But more often than not, removing body hair is painful. Plucking, threading, shaving and waxing are age-old methods but not all of us have the time and sometimes the resources to get this done professionally. So, what’s the solution? We bring you 10 ways to get rid of unwanted hair at home.
5 Benefits Of Hair Removal
- Reduces the occurrence of ingrown hair
- Reduce body odour
- Reduces the chances of sweating
- Helps maintain hygiene
- Gets rid of tanning by waxing
10 DIYs To Remove Unwanted Body Hair At Home
1. Mung And Rosewater Mask
Rosewater is a miraculous skincare ingredient that works in many different ways. Mung has exfoliating properties and, when combined with rosewater, is perfect for acne-prone skin. It gently removes hair while cleansing the skin.
- Mix mung flour, rosewater and some lemon juice to form a thick paste
- Apply this on your skin and let it dry completely
- Once it dries, rub it in circular motions
2. Honey And Sugar Mask
We all know about the goodness of honey. Along with being great for your skin and hair, honey helps remove unwanted hair as well. Make a peel-off mask with honey and sugar to see fantastic results.
- Combine honey, sugar and water in a bowl
- Microwave this till it the sugar dissolves and everything mixes well
- Apply this warm mask wherever desired and put a thin strip of cloth on top
- Let it cool for a few seconds and pull the strip in one swift motion
3. Oatmeal And Banana Scrub
Oatmeal is definitely a healthy way to fill your stomach. And, it is a great skincare product and can be used to remove hair at home. The coarseness and grainy texture of oatmeal help exfoliate the skin.
- Mash a banana in a bowl and mix in some blended oatmeal
- Apply this paste on the skin and rub in a circular motion
- Leave it on for 15-20 minutes and wash with cold water
4. Eggs And Cornstarch Peel Off Mask
Eggs are optimal for hair waxing! Egg whites help pluck hair just like wax. This DIY is perfect for acne-prone or sensitive skin.
- Mix egg whites, cornstarch and sugar to make a smooth paste
- Apply it on the skin and let it dry for 15-10 minutes
- Once it becomes a little hard, pull it off in swift motions
5. Papaya And Turmeric Mask
Raw papaya contains an enzyme called Papain which disintegrates hair cuticles and causes it to fall out naturally. And turmeric is a potent skincare ingredient. Together, this makes it an unbeatable combination for hair removal that’s suitable for all skin types.
- Peel a papaya and mash to make a paste
- Add a little turmeric powder and mix well
- Gently massage this paste on your skin and leave it on for 20 minutes
- Wash it off with warm water
6. Gelatin And Milk Peel Off Mask
This DIY mask contains the goodness of milk. It is extremely sticky which makes it easier to peel off unwanted hair in an instant. What’s more, it gets rid of blackheads, whiteheads and dead skin cells!
- Mix gelation, milk and lemon juice in a bowl
- Heat this in the microwave for 20 seconds
- Let it cool and then apply it wherever you want
- Leave this mask on for 5 minutes and then peel it off
7. Chocolate And Sugar Wax
Treat your skin while you wax your body hair. It’s easy to make hair wax at home and is an effective way to get rid of body hair. Cocoa has anti-inflammatory properties and helps make simple homemade sugar wax even better.
- Mix granulated sugar, lemon juice, water, salt and cocoa powder
- Boil this in a pot over medium heat
- Let this cool until it looks like caramelised honey
- Apply it in the direction of hair growth and pull it off in the opposite direction
8. Papaya And Sesame Oil Mask
Sesame oil hydrates the skin as well as helps get rid of body hair. When mixed with papaya, this concoction is a pain-free way to eliminate hair.
- Blend raw papaya with sesame oil to make a paste
- Gently rub this over the skin and leave it on for half an hour
- Wash it off with warm water
9. Besan Facial Mask
Another ingredient that exfoliates our skin effectively is besan. It is also a powerful cleanser and leaves the skin feeling smooth.
- Mix besan, turmeric and raw milk to make a paste
- Apply this all over your face and let it dry a little
- Massage it gently with your fingertips in a circular motion
- Wash it off with lukewarm water
10. Lentil And Potato Mask
While potatoes help make delicious food, they also have bleaching properties that lighten skin and hair. Dried lentils are an effective way to pull off unwanted hair.
- After soaking the yellow lentils overnight, run them through a food processor
- Form a thick paste by adding potato juice, lemon and honey
- Apply this mask over the desired areas and leave it on for 20-30 minutes
- Gently remove it with your fingers
8 Important Tips For Hair Removal
- The best way to deal with eyebrows is to pluck them with tweezers.
- Take a warm bath or shower beforehand to open the pores.
- Wash and scrub the skin to remove natural oil that accumulates.
- Threading works best for removing upper lip hair.
- While using hot masks or wax, make sure it is warm, not hot.
- If you opt for shaving, do use a shaving cream or foam (conditioner works as well).
- Do not wax, shave, scrub, peel off the skin in and around wounds, scabs or acne.
- Exfoliating your skin before removing hair helps as it gets rid of dead skin cells.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Which hair removal method is best?
A. While there are several hair removal methods available, waxing is an effective way to remove body hair. Shaving, though an easy option, can lead to ingrown hair. For facial hair, plucking and threading work well. Many people opt for laser hair removal and depilatory creams too.
Q. How do you get rid of pubic hair without shaving or waxing?
A. Shaving and waxing help remove pubic hair with ease. An alternative is to use the above-mentioned scrubs and masks. The papaya and sesame oil mask works the best. One way you can remove pubic hair without shaving is by using a depilatory cream to dissolve the hair at the skin’s surface.
Q. What can I use instead of shaving cream or foam?
A. The best thing to use while shaving is cream or foam. If you are running out of shaving cream, you can try one from the vast options that work wonders. Try baby oil, coconut oil, hair conditioner, shea butter and even soap.