Dry and cold weather makes your skin flaky and dead. A hot shower and sitting with a room heater might seem relaxing and calming during the chilly season but leaves your skin without any moisture. In the good olden days, our grandmothers used to give us a good oil massage which not just made our muscles strong and relaxed but also nourished our skin. Today, we have spas and massage parlours for the same, however, instead of going to the spa, it is much better to apply body oil and massage it on your complete body for that hydrated and moisturized skin. Body oils are a great product that must be added to your daily routine for that healthy skin, especially during the winter.
Body oils are obtained from plant sources and they nourish the skin from within. No preservatives or chemicals are added to the best body oils. As the name suggests, body oils are to be applied on and from the neck and below. As discussed earlier apart from the face the body needs hydration and nourishment.
4 Benefits Of Body Oil
Apart from the fact that the best body oil is obtained organically from plant sources, there are innumerable body oil benefits.
- Nourishes, Heals, & Hydrates Your Skin: Body oil benefits during the winters include healing of your skin. The dry weather makes your skin flakey, so much so that you get an ugly white mark on your skin the moment your nails scratch its surface inadvertently. No one wants to see dry skin covered with white flakes. Body oils hydrate your skin for that nourishment.
- Controls Greasiness: The texture of the best body oils is thick and yet non-greasy. The layers of skin soak it in immediately, locking in hydration for hours on end. These skincare remedies are specifically essential for dry skin types. If you have dry or combination skin, the best body oil for dry skin will do the magic for you.
- Ensures Skin Health & Glow: The nutrients present in the body oils act as nourishment for the skin, strengthening it from its core. No wonder, the skin glows from deep within, which is a sign of health.
- Contributes To Emotional Well-Being: We all know how therapeutic a massage can be. Body oils, when massaged on your body, not just help in moisturisation but the massage leaves you with relaxed muscles. This shows on your face. What’s more, skin blemishes often affect your emotional well-being. And a good massage with body oil may just be what you need for your emotional wellness.
How To Choose The Right Body Oil & Include It In Your Skincare Routine
When looking for body oil one must be careful of a few things. These are the things to consider:
- Avoid Body Oils With Chemicals: While choosing a body oil, check the label carefully before purchasing it. Make sure that the one you’re selecting is devoid of chemicals like sulphates, parabens, and artificial fragrances. These are detrimental to your skin health, leaving a trail of adverse short and long-term effects on your skin.
- Choose One That Suits Your Skin Type: Choosing a body oil is dependent mainly on your skin’s sebum production – the sebaceous glands. If you have oily skin, go for oils like jojoba, almond, avocado, or a combination of two or more. If you want to treat your acne, pores, or dull skin, or are looking for an even texture – you can opt for rosehip oil. For skin brightening and even skin tone, Vitamin C oil is expected to work wonders for you.
The best way to include body oils in your daily skincare routine is to apply them after a shower. During this time, your skin is still wet, which means that it has a high moisture content. Applying the oil now ensures that it gets retained by your skin longer.
5 DIY Body Oils Recipes
There is a plethora of body oil for women available and there are some cool recipes as well. Let us check for some of the amazing DIY body oil recipes which you can make at home.
Great for rejuvenation, and relaxing the mind and the body, lavender oils are the best body oil for dry skin as well as the best body oil for glowing skin.
- ½ cup sweet almond oil
- ⅛ cup jojoba oil
- 25 drops of lavender essential oil
- 10 drops vanilla essential oil
- 5 drops of jasmine essential oil
- 5 drops of chamomile essential oil
- Sprig of lavender
Mix all the above oils in a small glass bottle and shake it well. If you want, you can also replace the vanilla essential oil with a vanilla bean. This will help in extracting the vanilla properties slowly into the oil, over time.
Eucalyptus Body Oil
Eucalyptus Body oil is one of the best body oils for women that makes your skin soft and hydrated. So, if you’re looking for the best body oil for glowing skin, this one is to vouch for!
- ½ cup sweet almond oil
- ⅛ cup jojoba oil
- 20 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- 8 drops Idaho balsam fir essential oil
- 8 drops of lemongrass essential oil
Mix all the ingredients in a glass bottle and shake well. Your eucalyptus body oil is ready to be used.
7-in-1 Body Oil
We have been talking about body oils and their moisturisation miracles. However, here is a quick recipe for the body that is specifically great for keeping your body well-hydrated.
- ½ cup almond oil
- 1/8 cup jojoba or rosehip oil
- 20 drops of lavender essential oil
- 10 drops of geranium essential oil
- 10 drops of bergamot essential oil
- 5 drops of frankincense essential oil
- 2 drops of rose essential oil
Mix all the essential oils in a glass bottle and mix or shake it well before every use.
Cinnamon Body Oil
If you are suffering extreme dryness, the cinnamon oil is for you. It has anti-fungal and antioxidant properties that keep your skin hydrated and plump.
- ⅓ cup sweet almond oil
- ⅛ cup jojoba oil
- ⅛ cup olive oil
- 12 drops cinnamon essential oil
- 20 drops vanilla essential oil
- 5 drops of clove essential oil
- Cinnamon stick
Mix all the ingredients in a glass bottle and then drop a cinnamon stick separately into the bottle.
Relaxing Body Oil
This body oil not only keeps your skin hydrated, but it is also a great recipe for making your skin feel relaxed.
- ¼ cup sweet almond oil
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil
- 2 teaspoons of vitamin E
- 20 drops of geranium essential oil
- 5 drops of chamomile essential oil
- 1 teaspoon dried rose petals
- 1 teaspoon dried lemongrass
Mix all the ingredients into a glass bottle and shake well.
6 Best Body Oils You Can Add To Cart
Below are some of the product recommendations, if you are looking to invest in one.
Bio Oil is mostly recommended for people suffering from stretch marks. But the oil is a great treatment for dehydrated skin as well. Although it is of a thick consistency, it gets easily absorbed by the skin and leaves the skin feeling nourished.
2. Biotique After Bath Body Oil
There is nothing better than an after-bath body oil in making your skin feel moisturised and refreshed. When your skin is damped apply the Biotique oil and you will see an amazing difference in your skin.
3. Kama Ayurveda Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
slight but great in results. The Kama Ayurveda Extra virgin coconut oil is 100% natural and is an amazing oil for your skin during the winter. Calms your skin with its flakiness and helps you bring back the life your skin deserves.
4. MCaffeine Naked and Raw Coffee Body Oil
If you are someone who loves the smell of coffee and was looking for a body treatment oil – this one by Caffeine is for you. The oil just is an amazing therapy oil it just treats your skin beautifully. The only drawback is the smell – if you are not used to high-fragrance oils you can avoid it.
5. Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Skin Therapy Oil
Another great option for body oils is that will have a good impact on your dry skin. This one is a good alternative for Kama Ayurveda oil as well. If you are looking for body butter oil.
6. Aroma Magic Almond Oil
We all are aware of the almond benefits for skin and hair. This one by Aroma magic is a great option to pick from. If you do not want to make almond oil using the recipe you can buy this!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to use body oil?
One of the best times to apply body oil is post-shower. When the skin is moist and not completely dry. When moist, the skin absorbs the skin-softening body oil benefits. How to use the body oil is to include it in your after-bath routine. This helps in softening the skin, hydrating and moisturizing it. The body oils can be used regularly and can be included in your daily skin-care / body-care regime.
2. Will the body oils clog my pores?
The body oils are natural and free of any chemicals – there are the lowest chances of clogging of pores when you use body oil. Sesame, jojoba, sweet almond, and olive oils are great kinds of body oils and they do not clog pores. On the contrary, body oils leave your skin soft and hydrated.
3. Is body oil better than a lotion for hydrating extremely dry skin?
When it comes to extremely dry weather or in general winters, keeping your skin hydrated and moisturized is necessary. The body lotions are mostly of thick consistency which takes a little longer to penetrate inside your skin. Additionally, the lasting quality of body oils helps to maintain moisturization and hydration for a longer duration. The body lotions evaporate quickly. Lastly, if you’re an extremely dry skin type body oils are a must for you.
This was all you needed to know if you were looking to fight this winter season with body dryness. Body oils are excellent everyday skincare and the answer to your question of how to use body oil is to include it in your daily routine addition for that great plump and hydrated skin.
Open up like never before and participate in conversations about beauty, entrepreneurship, mental health, menstrual & sexual health, and more. Desi women, join our community NOW!