Ah, those stubborn stretch marks! If weight loss, whether it be post-pregnancy or a result of intentional weight loss or due to a health condition, these stubborn marks rear its ugly head every time your skin shrinks after having stayed in a stretched condition for a long time. For those who aren’t aware what stretch marks are, these are typically thin vein-like striations on your skin, several shades lighter than your natural complexion. They mostly appear at the intersection of your armpits and shoulders, underbelly, and thighs, among other areas of the body. There’s no way you don’t have at least a few of these on yourself. And, if you’ve tried, you know how stubborn they are to remove.
But, wait, all is not lost! Not if you have oodles of patience, and try out these 8 DIYs and see what works the best for you. So, go ahead, know more about these home remedies for reducing the appearance of stretch marks.
1. Aloe Vera
The transparent gel of aloe vera works like magic for a plethora of skin and hair care problems. And this includes reducing the appearance of stretch marks.
- Aloe vera gel
- Scoop out fresh gel from a leaf of an aloe vera plant.
- Message on the area with stretch marks.
- Leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes before washing it off with warm water.
Known as a superb exfoliator since ages and rightfully so! The small crystals scrub away the dead skin gently, making your skin look smooth and supple. Blend sugar with coconut oil or almond oil to get a coarse paste before applying it on your skin.
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup almond oil / coconut oil
- Mix the sugar with the oil of your choice a little at a time, stirring every time, to make the sugar dissolve in the oil. You can store this in an air-tight container for a few days or until the time it starts smelling wonky.
- Apply this over your stretch marks and rub gently for a few minutes.
- Do this 2 to 3 times a week before a shower and rinse it off with warm water.
3. Virgin Coconut Oil & Almond Oil
Apart from nourishing your hair and giving your strands its shine, volume, and bounce, virgin coconut oil does wonders in visibly reducing the appearance of stretch marks. Besides, it’s effective for keeping your skin hydrated as well. Almond oil too offers similar benefits to your skin and hair.
- Few drops of virgin coconut oil
- Equal number of drops of almond oil
- Mix both the oils in equal parts.
- Message it on your skin gently for a few minutes.
- Do this every day for best results.
4. Cucumber & Lemon Juices
Cucumber juice has a cool and soothing effect on the skin, while lemon juices are apparently acidic by nature. Together, they serve as a magic potion in fading away stretch marks over time.
- Few drops of cucumber juice
- Few drops of lemon juice
- Mix fresh cucumber and lemon juices in equal quantities. Don’t refrigerate this because it is the least likely to stay fresh.
- Apply this mixture on the affected area and massage it gently until it gets entirely soaked in by the skin.
- Let this stay on your skin for about 10 minutes and then wash it off with warm water.
5. Castor Oil
There is almost no skin problem that this thick oil cannot solve. Cracks on your heels, abrasions, chipped nails, peeling lips, et al. enriched with hydrating properties, this is exactly what your stretch marks need to heal themselves.
- Castor oil
- Apply the oil on the affected area and massage it for a few minutes.
- Follow this routine every day for best results.
6. Egg, Lemon, Oatmeal, & Almond Paste
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 lemon juice
- 2 tsp oatmeal
- 2tsp almond paste
- Blend the ingredients well to get an even paste.
- Apply this paste liberally on the stretch marks.
- Keep it on till it dries completely.
- Scrub it gently while washing it off with cold water.
- Do this every other day to make the most of the benefits of this mask.
7. Cocoa Butter
One of those ingredients that have started grabbing our attention quite recently, as compared to the other desi options. It is especially effective for stubborn stretch marks that a pregnancy leaves behind.
- Cocoa butter (as much as you need)
- Crush the cocoa pods and extract the butter out of it.
- Apply it liberally on the area of the stretch marks, massage it for a while, and let your skin soak it all in.
8. Apricot Oil & Lemon Juice
Apricots are difficult to find, we understand. If you can get your hands on some of them, there are very few other home remedies for stretch marks that can beat its results. The fruit is known for its skin rejuvenating properties that shows its efficiency on stretch marks as well.
- 2-3 apricots
- A few drops of lemon juice
- Deseed 2 to 3 apricots and crush the fruit to get a thick paste.
- Mix it with lemon juice to get an even paste.
- Apply this mask on your stretch marks and let it dry for 15 minutes.
- Next, wash it off with warm water.
- Do this every day to see the results in about a month.
Open up like never before and participate in conversations about beauty, entrepreneurship, mental health, menstrual & sexual health, and more. Desi women, join our community NOW!