The quirky little plant in your mom’s or neighbour’s window is full of natural goodness. Aloe vera kadha has been around for ages and is nani and dadi’s go-to medicine for cough and cold. Its benefits are not just limited to medicines, but include hair care and skincare too! Make the best use of aloe vera for skin and face with these DIYs.
Aloe Vera At Home
You can have an endless supply of the versatile aloe vera gel by simply planting it in your balcony, window or terrace. It is a succulent whose gel can be used in multiple ways. Aloe vera face pack is one way to get the most benefits.
The aloe plant cannot be grown from a leaf cutting. It is typically propagated by detaching younger clone plants from the base of the adult plant or the joint root system. You can plant aloe in a terracotta pot with a well-drained dirt. Place your aloe in a bright, sunny place and water it heavily about once every two weeks.
If planting aloe is not for you, you can easily buy organic aloe vera gel in the market or online.
10 Must-Know Benefits Of Aloe Vera For Skin & Face
- Rejuvenates and hydrates skin
- Excellent refreshing moisturiser
- Reverses the oxidative skin damage
- Reduces dullness and gives a natural glow
- Retains your skin’s firmness
- Slows down the ageing process
- Treats sunburns and eczema
- Removes dead skin cells
- Effectively lightens dark spots
- Reduces hyperpigmentation
- Gets rid of blemishes
Bid Adieu To Common Skin Care Woes With 5 Simple Aloe Vera Face Packs
Using aloe vera for face and skincare is extremely beneficial. Masks and packs that use aloe vera gel for skin care show significant improvement in your overall appearance. Here are some DIY aloe vera face masks and packs that use kitchen ingredients.
1. Lemon & Aloe Vera Face Pack For Whitehead Removal
This lemon and aloe vera face pack is ideal for removing whiteheads on the face. Since lemon juice is drying, it curbs the secretion of excessive sebum. Aloe vera has deep cleansing properties that help get rid of whiteheads.
- Take a fresh leaf of aloe vera and scoop out 1 teaspoon of gel
- If you do not have access to fresh aloe vera leaves, use store-bought organic aloe vera gel
- Add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to it and mix it well
- Apply the mixture on the affected area and gently massage it in
- Rinse it off with cold water after about 10 minutes
- You can do this two to three times a week
Tip: The combination of lemon and aloe vera for hair works wonders in boosting your overall hair health and adds shine to your locks.
2. Rose Water (Gulabjal) & Aloe Vera Face Pack For Healthy Skin
Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory properties. It does miracles for your skin when mixed with rose water (gulabjal). By using rosewater (gulabjal) and aloe vera for face, you get double benefits of two great ingredients.
- All you need is aloe vera gel, fresh or store-bought
- Add a few drops of rose water into the gel and mix well
- Apply it on your face and leave it for 10 minutes
- Wash it off with lukewarm water
You can also make aloe ice cubes for a healthy glow. Pour in fresh aloe gel and water/ rose water in the ice tray. After it freezes, rub these ice cubes over your face for a healthy glow. Watch the video to learn more.
3. Fight Acne With Tomato Juice & Aloe Vera Face Mask
Get rid of pesky pimples by using tomato juice and aloe vera for acne. This mask is great for fighting breakouts, reducing acne scars as well as cleansing and toning skin.
- In a mixing bowl, add 2 tablespoons of tomato juice
- Add 1 tablespoon aloe vera gel and mix well
- Apply the mask to your face, neck, and chest
- Leave it on your skin to dry for 15 minutes
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water
4. Get Rid Of Fine Lines & Wrinkles With This Egg & Aloe Vera Face Pack
This is the perfect aloe vera face pack that nourishes and moisturises the skin well. It makes the skin firm, improves elasticity and prevents fine lines and wrinkles.
- Crack and empty 1 large egg into a mixing bowl
- Beat slightly with a fork
- Measure in 2 tablespoons aloe vera gel
- Whip the mixture until you create a fluffy liquid
- Apply the egg and aloe vera to your skin and leave it on for 20-30 minutes
- Rinse your face with lukewarm water and gently scrub the mask free with a soft washcloth
5. Brown Sugar & Aloe Vera Mask For Blackheads & Acne
The use of aloe vera for skin care is multifaceted and one of the best masks is the one with brown sugar. Make a DIY mask with brown sugar and aloe vera for face and restore your skin’s natural glow. It removes dead skin, dust and dirt, excess oil and shrinks blackheads and whiteheads. This is also a great way to use aloe vera for acne reduction.
- Mix 2 tablespoons aloe vera gel with 1 tablespoon brown sugar in a small bowl
- Mix well until the sugar is dissolved
- Apply the liquid to your skin with your fingers
- Gently massage it using small circular motions for 5 minutes
- Let the mask dry for 10 more minutes
- Rinse your face with lukewarm water
Is Aloe Vera Right For You?
Some people are allergic to aloe vera while some are prevented from using aloe vera gel for skin due to a medical condition. It is vital you know if aloe vera suits your skin type, texture as well as your lifestyle.
Possible Side Effects Of Aloe Vera:
Many enjoy the benefits of aloe vera on face overnight. But aloe vera is not right for some. These are some of the signs that aloe vera does not suit you.
- Aloe vera leaves contain latex which is present underneath the plant’s skin. If you are allergic to latex, you might want to avoid using aloe vera gel.
- Redness in the eyes, skin rashes, irritation and burning sensation are all symptoms of an allergic reaction to aloe vera.
- Aloe vera allergy can also cause red patches, localised swelling, peeling, hives and nausea.
- Artificial preservatives in store-bought aloe vera gels can cause side effects as well.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Can we apply aloe vera gel on the face overnight?
A. You can apply fresh aloe vera gel all over your face. Apply it and leave it and reap the benefits of aloe vera on face overnight. Aloe gel is also a very effective home remedy for sunburn dark skin. It has quick healing properties and offers a cooling effect. Aloe vera gel will keep your skin moisturised and help fade a sunburn faster.
Q. Can aloe vera remove scars?
A. Aloe vera has properties that reduce acne scars and blemishes. The use of aloe vera for reducing hyperpigmentation is also well known. It improves the appearance of the skin and helps in the treatment of spots and scars.
Q. Can we apply aloe vera on face daily?
A. Daily application of aloe vera is beneficial for getting rid of eczema. Aloe vera also helps alleviate inflammation and itchiness from psoriasis. It is safe enough for daily use. Make sure you’re not allergic to it.