You don’t need to spend a fortune on fancy lip scrubs when you can easily make more effective ones at home. A lip scrub basically helps you to slough off any dry, dead, chapped skin and helps your lip balm penetrate deeper into your lips. As a result, you get more supple, healthier and glossy lips. The exfoliating technique usually relies on two things: An exfoliator which is usually a natural abrasive ingredient like sugar; and an emollient, such as oil or a moisturiser to nourish those lips.
Any homemade lip scrub is extremely easy to make and depending upon your personal preference you can even choose your own ingredients. Confused about how effective lip scrubs are? Here is Vishisht’s lip scrub that smoothens dry, chapped lips, available at the Red Dot Shop here.
To keep dryness in check and to prevent cracked lips, scrubbing your lips gently is crucial. With simple kitchen ingredients like cinnamon (dalchini), shea butter, coconut oil, lemon juice and so on you can create your own DIY lip scrub and your smooth pout doesn’t need to burn a huge hole in your pocket. Read on to find out the top 10 DIY lip scrub recipes for you to try out at home!
10 Easy-To-Make DIY Lip Scrubs To Prevent Chapped Lips
Your lips are a sensitive area of your face. There are plenty of products in the market that can actually cause allergic reactions and sometimes swell your lips. Thus, it’s safer to try out the following DIY lip scrubs.
1. Rose Petals & Milk Lip Scrub
If you suffer from discolouration of lips then rose petals and milk are your best options. Rose petals help in naturally lightening the colour of your lips and cold milk helps in brightening.
- Rose petals
- Take petals from roses and mask them into a paste by adding milk. What you’ll achieve will somewhat look like a paste-like consistency.
- Like a regular scrub, rub this paste on your lips gently. Make sure to not be vigorous on your lips.
- Keep it on for 5 minutes and then wash off with lukewarm water.
- Apply your favourite moisturising lip balm at the end.
2. Dalchini Lip Scrub
Cinnamon (dalchini) is a natural lip plumper so if you want your pout to be picture-perfect just like Kareena Kapoor Khan, this is the lip scrub you need to go for!
- ½ teaspoon ground dalchini
- ½ teaspoon honey
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and mix them well.
- Using your fingertips apply it all over your lips and gently start scrubbing off the dead skin cells.
- Wash off with water once done and apply a lip balm.
3. Sugar & Honey Lip Scrub
This homemade sugar lip scrub is by far the best to obtain soft lips. You can add 2 drops of lavender essential oil to take care of any sunburns as well.
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sugar (You can also use brown sugar)
- 2-3 drops of lavender essential oil
- Mix the sugar with raw honey well.
- Next, add those few drops of lavender oil to the mix.
- Once it’s completely blended in, apply the lip scrubs to your lips and rub it well in circular motions for two to three minutes.
- Apply some lip balm after washing off with lukewarm water.
4. Vitamin E Lip Scrub
A natural conditioner and antioxidant, vitamin E lip scrubs are extremely effective in treating chapped and irritated lips instantly. Try this DIY lip scrub and let us know if it worked for you.
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vitamin E (You can use two vitamin E capsules which are readily available in the market)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Combine all the ingredients together in a small mixing bowl.
- Using a clean finger, apply the lip scrub all over your lips in a circular motion.
- Rinse off with water properly and follow up with a lip balm.
5. Coffee & Honey Lip Scrub
Coffee is not just suited in that cup which wakes you up every morning but also a secret weapon for your lips to exfoliate them thoroughly. Honey, on the other hand, helps in locking nourishment and moisture in your lips. In one word, this homemade lip scrub with honey is the best if you suffer from extremely dry and flaky lips.
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon coffee grounds
- Once you mix the honey and coffee together, stir it well.
- For about one minute, use the scrub on your lips and massage it well.
- You can also keep it on as a mask for about 2 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water and apply your favourite balm.
6. Vanilla Coconut Lip Scrub
This homemade lip scrub is as tasty as it sounds. Just like lavender essential oil, the vanilla extract also helps in healing sunburns and coconut oil deeply moisturises chapped lips. Try this DIY lip scrub with coconut oil and let us know in the comments how it turned out.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Combine all the ingredients together to form a mixture.
- Apply this mix on your lips for about a minute in small circular motions.
- Rinse off with warm water
7. Lemon & Sugar Lip Scrub
You are all aware of the fact that lemon acts as a natural bleaching agent and helps in lightening skin tone. Remember to make sure that you use this homemade sugar lip scrub in the correct ratio with lemon juice to get effective results.
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vaseline
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- Take the sugar and mix it with petroleum jelly or vaseline to form a paste-like mix.
- Add the lemon juice to the mixture and combine well.
- Dab the mixture on your lips and massage it for one minute. You can also keep it on as a mask for 2-3 minutes.
- Either wash off with lukewarm water or use a wet wipe to remove it.
8. Almond Oil, Honey & Sugar Lip Scrub
This DIY lip scrub with honey and almond oil helps nourish your skin and rejuvenates the dead skin cells. Use this DIY lip scrub to get healthy and rosy lips but make sure to not use it daily or else it can lead to excessive dryness.
- 2 tablespoons of light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon almond oil or 3-4 drops of almond oil extract.
- Mix all the above ingredients and combine well until blended properly.
- Gently rub a small amount to your lips.
- Rinse off with water and again apply a thin layer of almond oil for hydration.
9. Strawberry & Tomato Lip Scrub
An inexpensive way to give your lips the ultimate spa treatment, strawberries and tomatoes contain certain vital nutrients that help in treating discoloured lips. You can make this DIY lip scrub with coconut oil as well.
- 1 pureed strawberry
- 1 slice of tomato (crushed)
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut or olive oil
- Take a strawberry and puree it in a blender before using. You can save time and even crush both the strawberries and tomato slice together.
- Add the sugar and coconut or olive oil to the mixture and mix it well.
- This stage is optional but you can use Vitamin E capsules as well.
- Apply this scrub for 30-40 seconds on your lips and keep it on for 3 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water and then apply a lip balm.
10. Orange Peel Lip Scrub
In case you’re suffering from dark, flaky and discoloured lips all at the same time and you’re unable to find a proper solution, use this orange peel lip scrub made with sugar and see the difference yourself.
- 2 tablespoon dried orange peel powder
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 10-12 drops of almond oil or coconut oil
- To make the orange peel powder at home, first, let your orange peels dry out naturally in the sun for a few days. Then grind it into a fine powder using your mixer grinder.
- Add the almond oil and brown sugar to the orange peel powder and mix well.
- Use this lip scrub to gently scrub your lips for about a minute and wash off with water.
- Use your favourite lip balm later.
5 Key Takeaways
- Any homemade sugar lip scrub is very easy to make and readily available but that doesn’t mean you should scrub your lips daily. Don’t over-exfoliate your lips and be gentle. Make sure you use a lip scrub only twice or thrice a week.
- Don’t start scrubbing unclean lips. If you’re wearing makeup, make sure to remove it first and clean your lips well before using any homemade lip scrub.
- Air conditioning can use dryness of your skin or lips so it’s better to keep a humidifier in your room to make sure your skin remains moist.
- If you’re exfoliating your lips in the morning, make sure to wear a lip balm that has SPF in it. On the other hand, if you’re exfoliating before bed remember to use a hydrating lip balm.
- In case you’re running late and don’t have the time to make a quick lip scrub, use your toothbrush to get rid of the dry skin.
Make that lipstick stick on your lips for longer now that you’re familiar with so many DIY lip scrub recipes. Do let us know what is your go-to DIY lip scrub recipe!