Woh kehte hai na ki base kaccha rahe toh improve karna namumkin hai? The same holds true for makeup too. And foundation acts as the base for the rest of your makeup. So now you understand how essential this product is for your makeup. This is one product that your makeup kitty is incomplete without and, hence, you have to keep yourself updated with some tips and tricks, so you never go wrong with choosing the accurate foundation for your skin tone and its formula, and some hacks that you must remember while applying this product.
The Channel 46 caught up with Aashka Goradia Goble, Co-founder & Director at RENÉE Cosmetics, to guide you through the basics of selecting the right foundation for your skin tone, zeroing in on the perfect formula for yourself, and a few tricks you need to consider while applying it.
4 Tips To Consider While Finding The Right Shade For Your Skin Tone
1. Know Your Tone
To find the right shade for your foundation is first to understand the undertone of your skin. Are you warm toned, neutral toned or cool toned? Be sure of the answer before proceeding further. Look at the insides of your wrist. If the veins appear blue or purple, you have a cool undertone. If they look green, you have a warm undertone and, if you have a difficult time in deciding the exact hue or they look like a blend of blue and green, you most likely have a neutral undertone.
2. Check The Shade On The Cheek & Neck
Never swatch a foundation on your wrist or hands as the skin shade is different from that of your face. Always swatch it on your cheek and neck, allow it to settle for a while, and then see if that is the right shade for you.
3. Swatch It On Your Forehead
Swatch it on your forehead and blend and let it stay for a while. Look close and see whether the shade has disappeared or not. If it has, it is the right one for you.
4. Look For a Well Lit Spot While Swatching
For the best match, make sure you test the product in good light. Because the foundation shade is likely to look different in a place that is dark or does not have sufficient light.
4 Tips To Keep In Mind While Selecting The Right Foundation Formula
1. Know Your Skin Type
Once you have identified your undertone to check the correct formula, you need to ensure you know your skin type. Is it oily or dry, or a combination of both? If you’re not sure of the answer, you can consider consulting a dermatologist, who’ll help you find your answer.
2. Go For A Lightweight Formula
Lightweight, oil-free formula is for all skin types. Apart from their convenience, they are versatile enough to be applied during any time of the day, irrespective of the occasion. These serve as the perfect base for your makeup, preventing your face from looking cakey and overly made up.
3. Choice Of Moisturiser
Make sure you moisturise your skin before applying foundation so it blends well and lasts long. For those of you with dry skin, applying a well hydrating moisturiser is even more necessary than those with oily or combination skin. This helps in preparing your skin well, making it even, soft, and supple enough for the foundation to also look even and sit well.
4. Primer Before Foundation To Cover Open Pores
If you have open pores, ensure you invest in a quality primer and apply it before you move on to the foundation. This will enable you to cover up the large, open, visible pores, making way for a blemish-free, flawless face.
8 Tricks You Must Remember While Applying Foundation
- The best way to apply your foundation is with a foundation brush or a blender.
- Don’t apply foundation on a face that has been freshly cleaned.
- Let your face dry completely before you start off with dabbing a substantial amount of moisturiser and then wait for it to get absorbed by the skin completely.
- Next, prep your skin with a toner and then wait again for it to dry up entirely before you move on to applying a good moisturiser.
- Take a small amount on your face and dab it evenly all over your face. If required, you can take some more for some areas on your face and dab well again.
- Don’t dab on a substantial quantity of your foundation to conceal dark spots. That’s not what a foundation is for. They are simply meant to create a smooth, even skin texture for the rest of your makeup. For evening out your skin tone and covering up your blemishes, bank on a concealer instead.
- Apply a fixing or compact before right after applying foundation for a longer lasting effect.
- Use a makeup fix setting spray, so your foundation does not bleed and stays in place.
Open up like never before and participate in conversations about beauty, entrepreneurship, mental health, menstrual & sexual health, and more. Desi women, join our community NOW!