So many amongst us hoard lipsticks, because, why not? On a bad day, or for an instant facelift, all you need is to swipe on some lipstick and you feel ready to take on the world!
From college going teenagers to busy moms and working women, we all have our ongoing love affair with lipsticks. Even your first memories of makeup probably were draping your mom’s dupatta as a saree, struggling to stand in her high heels, and trying on a red lipstick from her vanity case.
So, what’s a girl who loves her lipsticks to do with so many of them becoming increasingly expensive? Truth be told, high-quality makeup doesn’t need to be so costly.
And while there will always be the Rs 1,200-a-lipstick labels, there are many beauty brands that are now targeting the affordable market. Today, we’re curating 10 of our favourite high-quality lipsticks that are long-lasting, have great colour payoff, and are still very affordable—under Rs 500!
10 Budget Lipsticks That Are Worth Every Paisa
1. Lakme, 9 to 5 Primer + Matte Lip Color
This staple brand name is in every desi girl’s makeup bag. Lakme’s collection offers 42 stunning shades. A range of highly pigmented lipsticks in reds, pinks, corals, browns, mauves and nudes come with a built-in primer that gives your lips the matte finish for 12 hours. Perfect for workwear, shop for these budget lipsticks if you’re looking for great colour payoff with your mattes.
Price: Rs 500
Shade We Love: Crimson Catch
2. Sugar Cosmetics, Nothing Else Matter Longwear Lipstick
Long-lasting with a smooth application, water-resistant, and with an opaque matte finish, this collection is available in 11 different shades. Perfect for sassy women on-the-go, these lipsticks can help you transition from day to night looks with ease.
Price: Rs 499
Shade We Love: Pink Aloud (Bright Fuchsia Pink)
3. Nykaa Cosmetics, Paintstix!
With a rich and intense pigment, these lipsticks have a soft matte finish that’s highly blendable and can help you create that perfect pout. The range features 29 different shades. They apply smoothly while still delivering ample colour saturation in a single stroke; you can, of course, build it up for more intensity. Use the Paintstix to colour the town red on your next night out with the girls at the club!
Price: Rs 425
Shade We Love: Purple Monster
4. Lakme Enrich Lip Crayon
The lip crayons are available in 10 shades and what’s great about them is the finish. They’re packed with mineral powders and a rich mixture of shea and cocoa butter, and olive and jojoba oil which makes your lips look plump and hydrated despite the matte finish. If you’re looking for a lip balm meets lipstick product that delivers intense colours, then these lipsticks are a safe bet. And at this price point, college girls are sure to love them.
Price: Rs 225
Shade We Love: Peach Magnet
5. Sugar Cosmetics, Smudge Me Not Liquid Lipstick
A cult-favourite for party-hoppers, the liquid matte lipsticks are guaranteed to last longer than your longest day. With as many as 52 shades to choose from, these highly pigmented lipsticks are built to last. They claim to be wine, coffee and kiss-proof, and most customers seem to attest to them. Wear them with your next OOTD to see which one looks as good as when you first put it on at the end of the day.
Price: Rs 499
Shade We Love: Plum Yum
6. Faces Canada, Weightless Matte Finish Lipstick
A fits-in-your-pocket lipstick with lightweight pigments and rich colour formula. These lipsticks are available in 20 weightless matte finish shades that have a wide range in nudes, pinks and browns. Great for a dinner date, the colour payoff lasts over 8 hours.
Price: Rs 299
Shade We Love: Bombshell Red
7. Maybelline New York, Color Sensational Creamy Matte Lipstick
Sometimes matte lipsticks can tend to make your lips look a little dry. And, while we love the matte finish, dehydrated and parched are not the look we’re going for. Try the creamy mattes by Maybelline. Infused with moisture, they look great after application and feel comfortable all day long. You can choose from 35 different shades, many of which will work very well with festive looks and Indian wear.
Price: Rs 299
Shade We Love: Craving Coral
8. Nykaa, Matte To Last! Mini Liquid Lipstick
An all-day matte liquid lipstick in a mini, this one contains lightweight and non-drying features. These minis are the go-to for your next outing to the club and they fit perfectly into your smallest clutch! There are 18 up-for-grabs shades that are transfer-proof and highly pigmented. The travel-friendly size makes them great for globe-trotters or even these overnight or weekend trips where you need to pack in your favourite makeup in a small bag.
Price: Rs 239
Shade We Love: Rukmini
9. Colorbar, Velvet Matte Lipstick
These bullet lipsticks with a velvety smooth and creamy matte finish are classic. The finish is smudge-proof and transfer-resistant, even though the formula comes packed with vitamin E, jojoba oil and shea butter. You can choose from 48 different shades and basically wear a new one every day because the formula is so hydrating.
Price: Rs 340
Shade We Love: Pretty Please
10. Maybelline New York, Color Show Intense Crayon
The full-coverage lipsticks are highly pigmented. Available in 10 shades, they have SPF 17 and are infused with honey which naturally plumps up and hydrates your pout. If you live in areas that are hot or humid, these lipsticks may be the answer to your long-lasting full-coverage needs.
Price: Rs 399
Shade We Love: Dark Chocolate
Lipsticks 101: Tips For A Perfect Finish
- Indulge in a lip scrub session once a week to get rid of dead skin cells to get the best results from your application
- Hydrating your lips is key; apply a lip balm for as long as possible while doing your makeup before moving on to the lipstick
- Gently wipe off excess the lip balm to make sure you get an intense colour payoff and a smooth application
- Use a lip liner to define your lips before you apply lipstick; it doesn’t have to match the exact shade, a colour that’s close to the natural shade of your lips will do
- If your lips are differently pigmented, as most of ours are, bounce off your beauty sponge with the leftover foundation to create a neutral base
- Start with little and build the colour to make it look more natural; you can always put on more but taking excess off is harder
- Don’t be afraid to mix 2 to 3 shades and customise your own colour; make sure to use a lip brush to make blending easy
- To make your lip colour last longer, gently place a tissue on your lips and dab a little loose powder over them to seal the colour in
- Dabbing a little highlighter in the centre of your lips will make them look fuller
- Creamy lipsticks can melt in the summer heat; it’s advisable to store them in a cool dry place or the refrigerator
- Liquid lip products can dry out fast; store them in a closed container to prevent drying
- Every lipstick has a maximum shelf life of two years; make sure you don’t use expired products
So go red, mauve, pink or brown; you can’t say no to a great deal when it comes to lipsticks. If you are a beginner in the world of makeup, tell us which is your favourite affordable lipstick or drop your secret lipstick hack in the comments!