Glowing skin is always in! A well-applied highlighter can give you that ‘I woke up like this and glowing from within’ look. Highlighting, if it’s done right can create the illusion of brightness and height, reflecting light and helping to lift your features. It’s the easiest way to give your face the desired shape and a lot of fun to play around with. he purpose of highlighter makeup lies in lending a distinctive look to some of your facial features or certain parts of your body. You should always go for a highlighter if you wish to bask in your youthful glow.
6 Types Of Highlighters
Highlighter makeup comes in different forms. Let’s take a look at the various kinds of highlighters that you can avail of:
1. Cream Highlighters
A cream highlighter is a beauty product that blends in perfectly with your makeup. It mingles well with your makeup and lends you a makeup-free look. Go for a cream highlighter if you have dry skin.
2. Powder Highlighters
If you have oily skin, powder highlighters are the best for you. These kinds of highlighters are the original highlighters. If you want a dewy look, you can apply some powder highlighter over your blush or foundation. But, be patient while blending them!
3. Liquid Highlighters
Liquid highlighter makeup is another kind of highlighter available in the market. You can apply this kind of highlighter after blending it properly with your foundation because it has a lotion-like base. Liquid highlighters are easy to apply and are more pigmented in comparison to powder highlighters.
4. Strobing Creams
You can apply strobing creams either before or after you have applied your base makeup. These creams can add a natural glow to your skin. However, you should avoid using it if your skin is oily.
5. Stick Highlighters
If you are looking for a highlighter that is user-friendly, you should go for stick highlighters. They are portable and you can easily carry them around. Moreover, you will not need a brush to use these highlighters. A stick highlighter is ideal for everyone with normal to dry skin.
6. Jelly Highlighters
Jelly highlighters are the newbies in the world of highlighter makeup and can be used by everyone, irrespective of their skin type.
Where to Apply A Highlighter
But where should a highlighter be applied? You should always aim to apply highlighters on the following facial features to make them stand out:
- Tops of your cheekbones
- Brow bones
- The bridge of your nose
- The centre of your chin
- The tip of your nose
- Your cupid’s bow
However, while applying a face highlighter, try not to apply it to certain areas like your forehead or in the middle of your cheeks.
How To Apply Highlighter Correctly
Applying makeup is nothing less than an art and not everyone is proficient in it. Having said that, we must now direct our attention on how to use highlighter makeup effectively. We need to know the correct manner in which we can apply highlighters on our faces. We have explained the same in the following section:
1. Prep Your Face
Your skin must be prepared to receive a touch of the highlighter. So, before you set out to apply your newly bought face highlighter, you need to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Wash your face carefully.
- Apply some toner.
- The next step is to moisturize your skin with the help of a lightweight moisturizer.
- Once you have followed these steps, you may choose to apply some primer if you wish to.
- Apply some concealer on your forehead, under your eyes, and also on your chin, and use a moist makeup sponge to blend it properly.
2. Create A Flawless Base
It is not mandatory to wear a foundation before the application of a highlighter. But you can use it if you like. For a dewy look, you may mix some liquid illuminator or face oil with your foundation.
3. Pick A Highlighter Of Your Choice
Choosing a suitable highlighter can be confusing sometimes. To choose the best highlighter for yourself, just keep the following points in mind:
- You should always be mindful of your skin type
- Your makeup routine can help you in choosing the best highlighter for yourself
- For adding a natural glow to your skin, the highlighter shade you choose should be complementary to your natural skin tone
4. Choose A Suitable Highlighter Applicator
Once you have chosen a highlighter, choose a proper highlighter applicator. If you intend to use a cream highlighter, use your fingers to apply the same. Use either a brush or a sponge if you wish to use a powder highlighter.
For very light coverage, always go for a fan brush. A tapered or stippling brush can give you a shimmer payoff whereas for a pigment payoff, go for a moist sponge. Use a pencil brush while applying it around areas close to your eyes or nose.
If you go through all the steps described in this section, you will get a clear picture of how to apply highlighter to your face in an effortless manner.
Which Brand To Trust While Choosing A Highlighter?
Now that you know how to use highlighter makeup, you might be willing to buy a highlighter that will cater to your needs. But, there are so many brands of highlighters available in the market. Which would be the best highlighter for face makeup from among all of them? We have some recommendations for you:
- Balm Mary-Lou Manizer Highlighter: This highlighter, diffuses light so your skin looks softer and younger while adding a subtle glow.
- Maybelline New York Face Studio Master Chrome Metallic Highlighter: It creates a richly hued and heated tone. Gives your skin a reflective look.
- Lakme Face Sheer Highlighter: It effortlessly envelops the skin in a molten metal sheen and is the best highlighter for face makeup.
- Makeup Revolution London Vivid Shimmer: Combines the warmth of a bronzer with highlighters and gives gorgeous definition to all skin tones.
Key Tips For Applying Highlighter Makeup
- If you have oily skin, refrain from using a cream highlighter. You can go for it if you have dry skin.
- People with dry skin also tend to use liquid highlighters.
- No matter which highlighter you choose, always go for the best option that the market has to offer.
- If you want to use a liquid highlighter, choose only the best liquid highlighter.
- Do the same if you choose to buy a cream highlighter.
If you are a budding makeup enthusiast, these tips will enlighten you about the fundamentals of applying highlighters. Highlighters are meant to make your skin glow and look healthy. Who doesn’t want to look all bright and gorgeous on special occasions such as parties or weddings? Highlighters are here to help you shine brighter than the spotlight. Just be mindful of the basic things like the type of your skin and your skin tone before you buy a highlighter of your choice. Choose only the best highlighter for face makeup and be the light of the party!
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Is it mandatory to wear a foundation before applying highlighter?
A. No, applying foundation isn’t a necessity. You can apply highlighter without wearing foundation. If you are happy with the condition of your skin in terms of uneven colouration you can skip applying foundation. Instead of foundation, you can wear a tinted moisturiser, BB or CC cream before applying the highlighter.
Q. Can I make a highlighter at home?
A. Yes, you can make a highlighter by using aloe vera gel. Also, add a moisturiser that suits your skin type to add a creamy touch. Store the highlighter in adequate condition for long time use. Take aloe vera gel, mix it with compact powder thoroughly. Add primer and moisture for creamy touch.
Q. How do I start makeup?
A. Before you start putting on makeup follow the following steps:
- Prep your skin by washing, toning and moisturizing
- Apply primer
- Apply a suitable, foundation and concealer base on your skin type and tone
- Apply a setting powder to set the makeup and avoid its slipping due to oiliness
- Highlight and contour if you feel like it to enhance the look
Q. Which type of makeup is best for oily skin?
A. For oily skin less is definitely more. When you have oily skin you have to start from skincare level before applying makeup. Wash your face with a deep pore cleansing face wash. Prep your skin using a good lightweight moisturiser. Always, go for oil-free and water-based products.