Oh, the adverse effects of dirt, grime, and pollution on our hair! The major one being hair fall. With the growing awareness, many of you are making a conscious decision to select products that boost hair growth. However, the catch is that these products might be chemically treated and might not suit your hair or skin type and do more harm to your tresses than good.
However, there is one super ingredient that everyone is veering towards recently – flaxseeds. If you are wondering – flaxseeds good for hair growth or not? Here is your answer.
Flaxseeds come from flax plants. These seeds are rich in fibre, omega-3 fatty acids and have a great source of vitamins and minerals, which are not only beneficial for your hair but also for curing heart diseases, cancer and even diabetes.
4 Reasons Why You Should Use Flaxseeds
In order to make you face-to-face with the benefits of flaxseeds, let us go through the below pointers:
1. For Curly Hair
Curly hair people mostly suffer from a core issue and that is frizz. Flaxseed gel for curly hair helps in getting rid of the knots in the hair strands, eliminating frizz and making your hair look healthy. Flaxseed benefits for hair also includes combating free radicals and reducing the scalp inflammations. Additionally, flaxseeds for hair adds shine to your locks, which is a clear sign of it being nourished from deep within.
2. For Hair Growth
Why flaxseeds for hair growth, do you ask? These seeds are a mix of vitamins, nutrients and healthy fats that encourage quick growth of healthy hair. When it comes to flaxseed benefits for growth, below are some of them most spoken about:
- It helps in treating the scalp
- It helps in prevention of hair loss
- It also helps in promotion of hair growth
3. For Straight Hair
Flaxseeds benefits for hair are not just restricted for curly hair but also for straight hair. One of the major reasons being, they do not result in any side-effects on your hair. It helps you keep your hair straight and glossy, devoid of dullness and frizziness.
4. For Dry & Damaged Hair
Flaxseed is rich in Vitamin E and Omega-3 fatty acids. These help in nourishing your hair, treating damaged hair. The fatty acids work wonders in retaining moisture in the hair, just what your hair needs for healthy growth.
7-Step Process To Make Flaxseed Gel At Home
So, there are two ways on how to use flaxseeds for hair or how to make flaxseed gel for hair – flaxseed gel and flaxseed oil. Let us talk about how you can make and apply flaxseed gel for hair growth. So, let’s discuss how to apply flaxseed gel on hair.
- 4 tbsp whole flaxseeds
- 2 cups water
- Add flaxseeds and water into a small pan and cook it on medium heat.
- Keep on stirring the flaxseeds to avoid any sticking.
- Remove the pan from the gas and after 2–3 minutes you will see the water has a gel-like consistency.
- Stir the mixture while it cools slightly.
- Strain the gel and liquid through the cloth and into the glass jar.
- Let it cool for up to 2 hours before using.
- Store it in the fridge, so it lasts longer.
9-Step Process For Making Flaxseed Oil At Home
Want to know how to make flaxseed oil for hair growth? Let’s get started.
- 2 cups of water
- ¼ or ½ cup of flaxseed depending on how thick you want it
- 1 tbsp of aloe vera gel
- 3 drops of essential oil
- Pour 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of flax seed into a pot.
- On low heat, bring it to a boil stirring flax seed often with preferably a wood spoon.
- Turn off heat when a white frothy gel-like liquid forms.
- Continue stirring while it simmers.
- Place a strainer or stocking sock on top of your bowl or container and pour mixture in.
- Let it cool.
- Add aloe gel and essential oil.
- Place the gel in an airtight container.
- The shelf life is 12-14 days in the refrigerator.
5 DIYs With Flaxseed You Can Try
1. DIY Banana Flaxseed Mask
Bananas are known for keeping your hair hydrated and providing it with some valuable nutrition.
- 2 tbsp flaxseed
- 1 big banana
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp olive/almond/lavender oil
- Grind the flaxseeds into a fine powder.
- Add chopped banana slices to the flaxseeds.
- Add honey and any oil of your choice to the flaxseed and banana mixture and mix them well, and your mask is ready!
- Part your hair into multiple sections and apply the mask thoroughly, starting from the roots to the tips of your hair.
- Leave the hair mask on for at least 2 hours, and then wash it off using lukewarm water.
- Use this hair mask at least once a week for luscious and hydrated hair.
2. DIY Honey & Yoghurt Flaxseed Mask
Honey and yoghurt are magic products for treating dandruff and keeping your hair smooth.
- 1 tbsp of flaxseed powder
- ½ tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp of yoghourt
- In a tablespoon of ground flaxseed powder, add half a tablespoon of honey, along with two tablespoons of yoghurt.
- Mix these ingredients well to make a thick paste.
- Apply this mixture to your hair.
- Wash it off after 30 minutes with shampoo and conditioner.
- Use this hair pack 1 or 2 times a week.
3. Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, Flaxseed Powder Hair Mask
We have all heard about olive oil and it’s crazy results for hair growth from our dadis and nanis. However, what we do is to go to the market and get ourselves these products.
- 1 tbsp of flaxseed powder
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- ½ tbsp of lemon juice
- Add two tablespoons of olive oil and half a teaspoon of lemon juice to one tablespoon of flaxseed powder.
- Mix these ingredients well.
- Apply it to the length and breadth of your hair.
- Wash it off after 30 minutes.
4. Flaxseed Hair Conditioner
Hair conditioning is a must for hair protection and retaining hair nourishment. What better than a flaxseed hair conditioner? Well, here is a super easy and 100% natural hair conditioner that will suit all hair types!
- 3 tbsp flaxseed
- 3 tbsp aloe vera gel
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 4-5 drops of tree essential oil
- Pour 1 cup of water into a container.
- Let the water boil on low heat and add flaxseeds.
- Stir it throughout the boiling time so you can easily form a gel-like consistency.
- Switch off the stove after 5 minutes and keep it cool.
- Pick up a strainer to separate the seeds so you can use the liquid to make the hair conditioner.
- To the same container, combine the remaining ingredients.
- Store it in the refrigerator.
5. Flaxseed Anti-Hair Fall
One thing that we all fear is hair fall, be in the monsoons or during winters. Whatever the season, no one likes hair fall, isn’t it? So, here is a 3-ingredient anti-hair fall flaxseed mask that will work wonders on your hair.
- 3 tbsp flaxseed oil
- 1 tbsp aloe vera gel
- 1 tbsp onion juice
- Whip up the mask with the above-mentioned ingredients.
- Apply it from root to tip and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Wash it off after 20 minutes. Repeat it twice a week for healthy hair regrowth.
4 Flaxseed-Based Products You Can Pick From
1. Arata Styling Gel
This is one product you can back on, especially if you have curly hair. The styling gel is known to lock hydration in your tresses for a long time, keeping them well nourished.
2. Earth Rhythm Shampoo Bar
A shampoo bar, enriched with flaxseed benefits, accelerates hair growth. Not just that, it also ensures nutrition to your scalp.
3. Love Beauty & Planet Shampoo & Conditioner
Flaxseed is a great ingredient if you want to reverse the effects of hair damage. The dual benefits of a 2-in-1 shampoo and hair conditioner contributes to growth of hair, while maintaining its lustre, volume, and glow, and also saving you time.
4. Amala Flaxseed Hair Gel
A flaxseed hair gel by Amala is a 100% natural product that can be used for hair treatment for damaged hair. Whether you’re looking to improve your hair growth or not, you can depend on this product for overall hair health.
Possible Side Effects Of Flax Seeds For Your Hair
Any natural product very rarely has side effects. However, there is one thing that needs to be taken care of when using natural products – research. You need to be sure if the product is well-suited to your hair type and the hair problem that you’re facing.
Q1. Does flaxseed stop hair loss?
A. Yes! Since flax seeds contain omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin B and Vitamin C, they have the power to reduce hair fall, increase hair growth making hair stronger. There is no hair care product that will instantly show results.
Q2. Is flaxseed gel useful for boosting hair growth?
A. No, when it comes to how to use flaxseed gel for hair will improve your hair texture, reduce frizziness and thicken them without harming them. It isn’t bad of ryour hair. Definitely, you need to be sure you are not allergic to flaxseed. Applying natural products over chemical ones any day is hands down preferred for treating your hair or your skin for that matter.
Q3. How long can I preserve DIY flaxseed gel?
A. The DIY flaxseed gel can be used up to two to three weeks after making, maybe longer if refrigerated. So, when you are making these DIY Flaxseed gel you must make sure you are using ingredients as per storage – like not making gel for more than 2 weeks. Better if you make it for a day or two usage only. This way the gel can be used fresh and you will not have to worry of it going bad.
Hairfall, dandruff, frizziness, and dryness of scalp are all issues that no one ever wants to deal with. But with the increase in pollution, stress of work, and lifestyle sometimes, you tend to suffer from these issues. We hope that the Flaxseed mask, gels, and oils help you in getting that shine back to your hair!
Open up like never before and participate in conversations about beauty, entrepreneurship, mental health, menstrual & sexual health, and more. Desi women, join our community NOW!