Dark lips are a common phenomenon that occurs due to changes in the level of melanin produced in our body. Think of it as natural sun protection and remember that lip colour differs from individual to individual. However, if you see some drastic changes, it is best to check with a professional, keep your habits in check or read up to understand its causes. While dark lips are generally a result of skin discolouration, there are times when it is created by external lifestyle factors. You must first understand the causes and how to lighten dark lips permanently.
Causes Of Darkening Of Lips
Discoloured or dark lips are more common than you think. And while in most cases, there isn’t much to worry, there are some individuals that might need medical help or extra attention to lighten dark lips. There are many causes due to which people develop a general skin discolouration of their lips. Some of the causes are lifestyle based and some are medically based.
- Lifestyle-Based: Lifestyle causes include smoking, usage of low quality products on the lips, high sun exposure, lack of hydration, high intake of caffeine, lip-sucking and so on.
- Medical-Based: While medical causes include pregnancy, vitamin deficiencies, allergic reactions, hyperpigmentation, chemotherapy and so on.
So, if you are someone who suffers from discolouration due to one of these conditions, there is no reason to fret! There are natural home remedies for dark lips that are easy to try on at home, aren’t time-consuming and do not have side effects too, if done methodically.
Home Remedies For Dark Lips
There are several easy home remedies that shall help on how to lighten dark lips. If done regularly and methodically, one can easily see a difference in their lip skin. Considering that the skin of your lips is sensitive, do not be too harsh on it. Also, if you know your skin is hyper-sensitive or you might be allergic to a particular ingredient – it is best to deduct it from the remedy or consult a professional before trying it on your skin.
1. Lemon & Honey
Citrus foods are known to have skin brightening properties. So, lemons are a great idea to use combined with some honey that adds to moisturising the skin.
- Take a teaspoon of lemon and mix it with a few drops of honey thoroughly.
- Apply the mix on your lips generously and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Do this once every day for a month and you’ll see a considerable difference in the colour of your lips.
Tip: Lemon juice is harsh on soft skin and it may leave a tingling sensation. It is best to do a patch test before trying it directly on your lips!
2. Turmeric (Haldi)
Turmeric is known to have several healing properties. And with curcumin being its main constituent that is known to prevent the formation of melanin, haldi is a helpful ingredient to lighten dark lips.
- Take a teaspoon of turmeric and mix a few drops of water to make a thick paste.
- Apply it on your lips and leave it till it is completely dry.
- Wash it off thoroughly.
- Repeat this once every day to notice the lightening of your lip skin.
Tip: Turmeric is known for its unsuitable nature on sensitive skin. To avoid rashes or an allergy, it is best to do a patch test before trying it directly on your lips!
3. Homemade Honey Scrub
Exfoliating your skin including your lips is one of the best and most effective therapies of all! And if you are wondering how to lighten lips naturally, a homemade scrub is your saviour!
- Take a teaspoon of caster sugar and mix a few drops of honey to make a paste.
- With the help of your fingers, massage the paste gently onto your lips in a circular motion.
- This remedy will help to brush off the dead skin, aid in lightening the lip skin and know how to lighten lips.
Tip: Since a scrub exfoliates and the lip skin is thin and sensitive, make sure to rub gently. Also, indulge in this therapy only once a week otherwise it could lead to lip rashes or skin irritation.
4. Lip Oil Massage
Who doesn’t love a good massage? Well, massages aren’t only for the body, you can indulge in a lip massage too! Gently massaging your lips with the right ingredients can lead to healthy skin and good texture while making sure how to lighten dark lips permanently.
- Invest in a tin of good quality coconut oil or almond oil.
- Take a generous amount of oil on your fingers and give your lips a good massage.
- Use circular motions to have the oil penetrate into the skin. That way, your lip skin will remain moisturised and you are also boosting blood flow in that area.
Tip: Oil massages are safe. You can indulge in this exercise twice or thrice in a day, depending on how dry and discoloured your lips are.
5. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a popular ingredient when it comes to skincare and a saviour when you are looking at how to lighten dark lips. Aloe vera contains depigmenting properties and thus makes for the perfect match of how to lighten lips.
- Buy fresh aloe vera from the market and extract a teaspoon amount of gel at home.
- Apply it on your lips and leave it for some time.
- Rinse it off with water. The therapy will leave your skin feeling nourished and will gradually help in changing the colour.
Tip: You can indulge in this beauty exercise about two times a day.
6. Cucumber Juice
Cucumber is another kitchen ingredient that is popular in the skin-care category! Placing your bets on getting rid of dark lips, this simple vegetable is your rescue. Enriched with silica compounds that help fade pigmentation, try it out at home.
- Chop a few slices of cucumber and grind it in a blender.
- Once it becomes a paste, apply it on your lips and leave it for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with water. This will surely aid in lightening your dark lips.
Tip: You can indulge in this beauty exercise about two times a day.
Studies show that pomegranate extracts may aid in the brightening of the skin. Known to be easily available in any fruit market and at an affordable cost, this remedy is easy to try.
- Take a teaspoon of pomegranate seeds, a teaspoon of rosewater and a tablespoon of fresh cream.
- Mix all of it into a paste and apply it on your lips.
- Keep it for about three minutes.
- Rinse it off with cool water. You’ll see the difference gradually.
Tip: You can indulge in this beauty exercise once every day.
Beets are one of the healthiest superfoods known. Known for its natural colour component, it is a great option to try on if you are someone with dark lips. Go on and try this easy homemade recipe.
- Blend a small amount of beet and apply the paste directly to your lips.
- Leave it on for about ten minutes.
- Rinse it off with cool water. The application might leave you with a pinkish tint and that’s because of its natural colour.
Tip: You can indulge in this beauty exercise about twice a week.
Having listed all these home remedies that are quite simple and effective, always remember that you are what you consume. So apart from the beauty-hacks, it is important that you eat healthy food and drink lots of water.
Additionally, you can also engage in these homemade recipes and simple kitchen essentials, that make for effective beauty solutions at an affordable cost and at the comfort of your home. So, if you are still looking at how to lighten dark lips, look no further. Try these useful beauty tricks at home to have plush, soft and healthy-looking lips!